Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Getting back on track, anyone else a little worried that we’ll be losing GP by the beginning of next season if we continue to over achieve? Rock and a hard place if we end up top 10

Time for an improved contract to ensure we get massive compensation.

Unless, of course, he wants to stick with this project :thumbsup:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Getting back on track, anyone else a little worried that we’ll be losing GP by the beginning of next season if we continue to over achieve? Rock and a hard place if we end up top 10

Isn't it 4 years he still has left?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Disillusioned Man Utd fan with a soft spot for my local team Wolves, and interest in the Arsenal and Brighton managerial projects.

Why would a Man Utd fan be disillusioned?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
All that talent and OGS as manager coupled with their owners I’d think :wink:

What's wrong with the owners? Aren't Utd one of the biggest spenders in the last 5 years? Signing some of the biggest names in the world / Europe?

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I can understand there are people that think like this, results-first, and that's fair enough I suppose, we're all different. For me its far more about the trajectory, the promise of better results in the future, enjoying the journey. When we get 'there', wherever 'there' is, it will become more about the results for me - in our promotion campaigns over the past two decades it was all about the results, no doubt. But the here and now is undoubtedly a stage on a journey for us, not the final destination.

It was pointed out that Steve Bruce had a better record as manager of Newcastle than Potter did as manager of Brighton, over exactly the same time scale (although after 4 wins from 5 this year, that may have changed). So from a results-first position, you'd presumably rather be following his style and teams than our style and teams. Taking a longer-term view, however, the best you can see Bruce's Newcastle achieving is exactly the same year-in, year-out, but with us the potential for progression was always there even if the results weren't. So now the results are here, previous outers are saying 'I was wrong' and the rest of us are saying 'we're not surprised'.

If a club wants to safely finish 13th-16th each season, you can do a Bruce or a Dyche or a Hodgson, and get a stable team of experienced-and-solid regulars and that little bit of flair sufficient to achieve that with relative ease - but thats the limit. If you want to aim to finish consistently higher (without big cash injections a la Wolves or West Ham, or being a flash-in-the-pan like Sheffield), you have to take time to develop youth and inexperience, both players AND managers, and have a clear plan in place. At the outset this won't get the results, might even flirt with relegation, and underachieve performances, but in the longer run it opens up potential. Leicester almost got relegated in 2014 with a team containing the then inexperienced Schmeichel, Drinkwater, Morgan, Simpson, Mahrez and Vardy, bottom of the table in mid-April - all six were key regulars in their title-winning side. But that's just one parallel, and every side is different. I doubt even Leicester's wildest dreams foresaw the rapid and incredible rise of Mahrez, Vardy and Kante to the elite level of the game. They got world-class stars turning out for them for one amazing season before they came under pressure to sell them. For us, we had to sell White and we may have to sell Bissouma soon. The hardest part might be not turning into Southampton and becoming just a conveyor belt for talent. But overall, I love what we're doing - impossible not to really at this singular moment in time :)
Excellent post.
I was Potter Out but I've been eating humble pie for quite a while now.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
For the record though, this type of post, does little to disassociate yourself from him

Indeed...

Dont think he is leaving any time soon, and when he does it wont really be about the money.

Oh and the back garden of the swan will be quite busy

:eek:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I was Potter out at times last season. To be fair, I judge purely on results and, if we're being honest, there were long (long) periods last season where our results were utter shite, and showed no sign of improving. The fact we didn't get out 4th win until the end of January last season speaks volumes, and justifies my feelings at the time. Loving it right now.

Absolutely nothing wrong with saying it how you see it. It's not as if there was no logic to your position when results were shite (as they were). I've said it many times on here, but I was never Potter out because I could see it for what it was - good quality football and some barely believable bad luck and profligacy in front of goal that I refused to put at the door of the manager. I ended up throwing my ire at Danny Welbeck and I was wrong about that. With hindsight I had made up my mind that he was here for a final big pay-day and when our team was collectively a bag of shite in front of goal, I guess I chose to blame him. I was wrong, Welbeck has been decent for most of this entire calendar year.

This is meant to be a forum where alternative points of view are exchanged. Wanting Potter out when results were shit is perfectly reasonable, and equally other people don't have to agree with it. On the other hand, if people express shit dumbass opinions then they can expect to be laughed at. The worst thing is the sort of horseshit from yesterday and this morning with know-it-all cocks having a pop at people like you and [MENTION=316]Albion Dan[/MENTION] - it gets right on my tits. Some of these people doing the tedious gloating are absolutely not the sort of people who have a clue about football.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Graham’s running multiple accounts on Redcafe.

22591113-EED4-452F-8090-6974534A0470.png

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Would he have gone?

They’re going nowhere, as far as I can see.
Kane unhappy etc…..

Man Utd would be interesting for him, but could he cope with the ego’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is that they asked GP this summer and he told them - literally - to **** off and die.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here