Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Could you imagine if say Warnock was our manager yesterday, I recon after his likely reaction to yesterday’s game he’d be lucky to see the touch line again this year [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I’ve consistently said I’m 100% behind Graham Potter as our manager regardless if we are relegated or not.

He’s a fantastic ambassador for our club, I respect him as a man, as a coach and I fully embrace his philosophy of football.

I’ve coined a new phrase in his honour. ‘The future’s bright, the future’s Potter’.

Nothing’s changed for me.

In Potter we trust [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
GP admired elsewhere.

79560F06-8968-4E6E-9FAF-8255FBDB9535.png

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Spurs fans think it wouldn’t be a problem taking Potter. We are just little old Brighton I guess. How could he turn them down?

[tweet]1363491364894367744[/tweet]

[tweet]1363460524466466818[/tweet]

[tweet]1363471386660986883[/tweet]

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I’m more worried about Leicester if Rogers ends up at Spurs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are quite similar managers, they do the whole Verheijen thing and they go to courses in Spain/Portugal etc. Would be a logical step for Leicester but I dont think GP will be going anywhere for the forseeable future.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I've no idea. How much of a long term project did the Swansea fans think he was on there?

True, but they were in the Championship and by all accounts under questionable ownership.

I’d say he has a pretty safe long term project to build here for years at a Premier League club with an owner and supportive board fully behind him.

Leicester or Spurs, get a few dodgy results and he would be under the kosh. I mean look at the Potter out brigade here, it’d be 10 times worse at a top 6 team.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
True, but they were in the Championship and by all accounts under questionable ownership.

I’d say he has a pretty safe long term project to build here for years at a Premier League club with an owner and supportive board fully behind him.

Leicester or Spurs, get a few dodgy results and he would be under the kosh. I mean look at the Potter out brigade here, it’d be 10 times worse at a top 6 team.
Pretty much agree - but - two years ago (or 18 months ago anyway) we all thought the same about Chris Hughton!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I've no idea. How much of a long term project did the Swansea fans think he was on there?

Night and day tbh. Brighton is a club going forward. Swansea had just begun their massive downsizing. To quote their recent CEO Trevor Birch:

"To put our revenue decline in context, for the year ending July 31, 2018, we had a total turnover of £126.8m. Next season (2020-21) that will drop to just shy of £30m, and when the parachute payments cease for season 2021-22 then turnover drops to approximately £17m if we are not promoted. That’s a drop of nearly £110m."

Recently they had their academy downgraded from category 1 to category 2 just because the owners wont bother to invest those extra £2m or whatever it would cost to keep it rolling. Cooper got a little bit of funds after the Rodon sale since things were going quite well and the owners felt the nice smell of Premier League money. But generally speaking its a club that seems to have a pretty dark future and where there is a massive distance between owners and staff, even Cooper has expressed some dismay over how things are run.

Brighton, on the other hand, is probably the best run club in the country in many ways.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
"..Eventually, after a long period of time, he would start to see things coming through and would have some vegetables.."

Is that a reference to Locadia? ???

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Do you really think he’d take either the Leicester or Spurs job?

It depends on his ambitions.

Leicester arguably are more stable than Spurs, and GP’s brand of football would fit with both.

Conversely, he is well supported by Brighton, so hopefully that would make him think twice.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
Don't want him to leave, but if he does at some time good luck to him.

The reason we are where we are is down to Tony Bloom, he is the one we never want to leave.

And in all fairness I can't see him ever leaving.

TB

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It depends on his ambitions.

Leicester arguably are more stable than Spurs, and GP’s brand of football would fit with both.

Conversely, he is well supported by Brighton, so hopefully that would make him think twice.

Granted not Chelsea levels.. but Leicester have been pretty trigger happy and not known for patience with a manager. They even sacked the manager who won them the title.

Would be a risky move for GP I think.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Granted not Chelsea levels.. but Leicester have been pretty trigger happy and not known for patience with a manager. They even sacked the manager who won them the title.

Would be a risky move for GP I think.

I think their decisions have been justified though, to be fair. Ranieri I think lost his mother after illness so he was spending more time away from the club than managing it, which showed in their lack of form. He was justifiably sacked.

Craig Shakespeare was a strange choice, understandably sacked.

Claude Puel did a good job but he wasn't taking them forward and was a boring sod who can't have had the full backing of a very powerful dressing room. I'm sure they knew Brendan Rodgers fancied the job before making that change and there's certainly no question they did the right thing there.

Personally, I'm not sure Leicester are trigger happy as much as they're decisive when a change needs to be made. Leicester are absolutely a club we should be looking to emulate - similar sized stadiums and I would hope we're looking at them as a model of how to really develop a team on the pitch. They've been able to bring through younger players and also make some high value sales to reinvest in the side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here