Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
The bit in that article that got my attention was this
The man himself describes his teams as tactically flexible, attack minded and possession based. Every box checked. He even sets up his Östersunds FK side in a 3-5-2 formation with a massive emphasis on the midfield

Something we have been lacking in two of the three departments! Can you guess which two?

In the same way Mike Tyson said "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth" I think everyone can have a philosophy and innovative playing style until they play in a relegation dogfight in the Premier League.

Swedish football is gash.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Might as well appoint Frank De Boer and get it over with.
I hope we've a second shortlist in mind for when we have to sack him in December.

'If Potter opts to turn down Brighton, Derby's Frank Lampard could emerge as another serious contender.'

Surely that should be Frank Lampard's Derby's Frank Lampard?

The modern press has gone to the dogs.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
In the same way Mike Tyson said "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth" I think everyone can have a philosophy and innovative playing style until they play in a relegation dogfight in the Premier League.

I like the approach in as much Potter seems to be able to change things around. He seems to have a plan B and C etc. Sadly something that CH didn't appear to have, or if he did, he didn't use it.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Possibly, this morning a large helicopter circled over Portslade and Flightradar24 showed it landing in Fishersgate Park, Adenstar Offices are nearby owned by Albion Director Derek Chapman. Note origin of Helecopter on screen shot?View attachment 109576

Although the AC is the Air Ambulance

Origin Hogwarts...Harry Potter is joining us backed up by the very ginger but able Ron Weasley......Voldemort Parish better watch out....

TNBA

TTF

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
With the speed with which Hughton was sacked and Potter identified and interviewed it seems like this has been in the offing for a while. Presumably the club decided that Hughton wasn't capable of successfully implementing the next phase of Plan Brighton Dominate The World so he's swiftly moved on.

When you consider how reluctant Bloom was on pulling the trigger on Hyppia maybe Swansea's parlous financial state has precipitated this move a little earlier than was originally planned?

Rather obviously I really, really hope it works out for us. It's an exciting move in theory, lets hope the reality matches.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Origin Hogwarts...Harry Potter is joining us backed up by the very ginger but able Ron Weasley......Voldemort Parish better watch out....

TNBA

TTF

"I love the smell of Potter in the morning" (cue Waltz of the Valkyries blaring out, Alan Pardew leaning out of the chopper as it circles over Chalky Road, Portslade)

TNBA
TTFN

PG

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Alan Nixon on twitter:
SWANSEA. Potter and backroom staff all primed for BRIGHTON move. Compo for lot over 3m.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Next year, we're up against the two Champions League finalists and the two Europa League finalists. Plus a Myriad of clubs who have better squads than us.

He's done well elsewhere and the Arsenal & Man City performances were impressive, but, fatuous responses aside, you cannot compare opposition against the likes of Rotherham, Milwall and Jonkopings Sodra to what he will face here.

he will have a different squad

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think that's in part because he's flexible enough to make changes when things are going wrong. By which I don't mean simply 'switch things up' or 'try 3 at the back' or give x a run in the team'. He seems to be very good an analysing issues with performance and managing this with changes to preparation, coaching and tactics.
Although they may be qualities he has (I really don't know enough about him), isn't it more to do with the fact that he's not had to manage in the Premier League before?

There are no easy games in the Premier League (unless you're Man City), and once you start losing, there's no easy way out.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I always put my frustration on the players being crap, but it has to be coaching because at West Brom we were really bad and given a lesson in football.

This is down to the training method and that's why Hughton's right hand men left too. Great manager for us but probably too old school for the upper half of the Prem.

Another good post.

I just wondered whether the coaches should have been in Chris’s ear more.

Too old school is fair as well, I mean we were so ineffective when pressed and then weren’t that good at it ourselves, and that is the way things are going at the minute.

Despite the above I am a Hughton man, great defensive organisation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

All the more impressive that he got a Swedish minnow to compete with the likes of Galatasary, Bilbao and Arsenal then.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
With the speed with which Hughton was sacked and Potter identified and interviewed it seems like this has been in the offing for a while. Presumably the club decided that Hughton wasn't capable of successfully implementing the next phase of Plan Brighton Dominate The World so he's swiftly moved on.

When you consider how reluctant Bloom was on pulling the trigger on Hyppia maybe Swansea's parlous financial state has precipitated this move a little earlier than was originally planned?

Rather obviously I really, really hope it works out for us. It's an exciting move in theory, lets hope the reality matches.

It’s the speed of decision making that I really admire. **** what some journos think. If Bloom knew he wanted a change then getting new manager in place asap makes total sense - we have a significant rebuilding job to do. Either players need to be replaced or brought up to speed on new systems and approach. Henry Winter calls it cowardly. I think we’re being supremely brave (potentially a high stakes risk with unproven manager)

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Alan Nixon on twitter:
SWANSEA. Potter and backroom staff all primed for BRIGHTON move. Compo for lot over 3m.

He knows f**k all that bloke.

Says deal already done as well..... Naylor reporting minimal compo and that we still haven’t been given permission.

Absolutely poles apart, yet I know which one I believe.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
For those who don't want him, where would he have to come from to be seen as acceptable? I always find the logic of 'needing prem experience' to be a weird one. Nuno at wolves? No experience, did well.
I don't disagree with your general point, but having some experience at this level would be good. Nuno had time to settle at Wolves, and get his style of play across, while his players were better than the opposition. Potter wouldn't have that luxury with us, it would be in at the deep end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here