• Neither

Votes: 32 13.3%
  • Neutral

Votes: 60 25.0%

• Total voters

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
We were actually talking about our attendances in the 2nd tier. I don't think Newcastle were in the 2nd tier during the 90's. I'm just wanting to compare their attendances to ours when we were both in the 2nd tier before the Goldstone was lost..

They were in the 2nd tier for the first 4 years of the decade, and they had the average attendances as I stated.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
They were in the 2nd tier for the first 4 years of the decade, and they had the average attendances as I stated.

Fair enough. So before Newcastle's Prem era, they were only getting crowds of around 20k outside the top flight? This new 50k crowds in the 2nd tier is something they've never had before?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Fair enough. So before Newcastle's Prem era, they were only getting crowds of around 20k outside the top flight? This new 50k crowds in the 2nd tier is something they've never had before?

They are consistent top tier club. They have been so for 86 years out of their 114 year history.

The seasons they have had in the 2nd tier have always resulted in significantly lower attendances, with 1948 and 2017 being outliers. But we all know how attendances are calculated nowadays, and those who were at St James when we played them in the Championship will know there was nowhere close to 49k or whatever they announced.

Edit: I'd also like to reply to your "barely won anything in their history" comment. They have been champions 4 times (runner up and 3rd 6 times) and FA cup winners 7 times (finalist 6 times).

So I'm really not sure they're the best example to choose from when comparing fan loyalties with us.

Last edited:

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
They are consistent top tier club. They have been so for 86 years out of their 114 year history.

The seasons they have had in the 2nd tier have always resulted in significantly lower attendances, with 1948 and 2017 being outliers. But we all know how attendances are calculated nowadays, and those who were at St James when we played them in the Championship will know there was nowhere close to 49k or whatever they announced.

Edit: I'd also like to reply to your "barely won anything in their history" comment. They have been champions 4 times (runner up and 3rd 6 times) and FA cup winners 7 times (finalist 6 times).

So I'm really not sure they're the best example to choose from when comparing fan loyalties with us.

I've just found Newcastles 2nd tier average crowds

Newcastle- 28,252

The season you're referring to when they were averaging 16,000 is 90/91. Incidentally that was actually the worst year in their history for average crowds.

In regards to their trophy history : They've not won the top flight since 1927 and before that 1909

What was that you mentioned earlier about Hitler Invading Poland?

To be fair to them, their last respected trophy win was the Cup in 55 which was only 64 years ago. But nonetheless, great support considering how their fans never see any trophies. If only ours could be the same...erh eermm, actually our fans are the same, no, no in fact they're better.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Wait, are we not talking about averages during the period you suggested? What on earth is a one-off game before Hitler invaded Poland supposed to indicate?

That once Hitler took that cyanide capsule the Magpies support started to dwindle.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Your wife told me on tinder.

She knows her stuff. She's definitely no clueless gimp.

You've done well. She's definitely better than a dirty old sock, I can assure you of that.

You seem very confused at your ability to use modern technology so it’s no surprise you’ve also confused my wife with my budgie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Tottenham fans are vile, every single man, woman and child, and Liverpool fans are just... entitled. 0-0 after extra time and a penalty shootout that goes on all night until they decide at 0546hrs to bin it off with the score tied at 452-452, and the trophy is awarded to no one.

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
For personal reasons this is really tough.

My maternal family are all Liverpool.

As a kid (late 80’s - mid 90’s) my second team after Albion was spuds when all my friends were Manure or Arsenal.

When my older brother was seriously ill in hospital, he got a signed ball and card from the Liverpool squad and Kenny D. He was albion through and through but he cherished that ball and card.

I like Klopp (there, I said it), but I like Pochettino as well.

Sod it, I can’t decide, but I am proud that the premier league, our league, is providing both teams for the final.

All in all this season is a great season to be a fan of British football.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I've just found Newcastles 2nd tier average crowds

Newcastle- 28,252

The season you're referring to when they were averaging 16,000 is 90/91. Incidentally that was actually the worst year in their history for average crowds.

In regards to their trophy history : They've not won the top flight since 1927 and before that 1909

What was that you mentioned earlier about Hitler Invading Poland?

To be fair to them, their last respected trophy win was the Cup in 55 which was only 64 years ago. But nonetheless, great support considering how their fans never see any trophies. If only ours could be the same...erh eermm, actually our fans are the same, no, no in fact they're better.

I gave you an attendance range based on the period you were referencing, which you asked about.

I'm not sure why you have decided to pick out and comment on the lower end.

Let's pretend for a moment that like you say, their silverware during the 50's has no bearing on their support today. The fact remains they have spent most of their existence in the top flight of English football, whilst we almost went out of existence. The most anxiety the average toon fan has gone through is relegation to the 2nd tier or because Mike Ashley hasn't given them a 200M transfer warchest.

There really is no relation or comparison to be made here. They will have many more fans through historical success, and therefore many more fans to be lost and gained through defining periods.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
The whole "second team" argument is a pointless. Everyone who hates Palace more than anyone else then logically prefers all the other teams to Palace - indeed, all supporters have a hierarchy of affection for some teams over others.

If you have a hierarchy, then there is likely to be a team next in line to the Albion in your affections. Might not stay the same team all the time, but there will be one there - so you have a second team.

Unless people mean having a second team that you regularly go to see live; I bet there's not many people who do that.

Agree with this. My emotional response to big games between the 3 teams I have the most ingrained antipathy towards shows me that my least favourite / most despised other team is Liverpool, with me being broadly ambivalent between Palace and Man U. Pompey are a distant 4th.
As a kid - before wall to wall tv coverage - I had more than a soft spot for Dirty Leeds who I would have described as my second team until relatively recently (no longer, and I’ve found their collapse this year to be hilarious). Right now and for various reasons I look out for the results of Sunderland, Charlton, Plymouth and Sevilla, and have a growing respect for Wolves, Huddersfield, Bristol City and Sheff U (with Ajax bubbling under). Everyone else can do one - but most of all The Red Scouse.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nothing new, but gotta wonder how you can look at the current product and say 'let's make it better':-

[tweet]1126578299700940801[/tweet]

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Who did you and your friends support whilst The albion were doing shit?

I really can't understand all this second team b*ll*x, I never had one, never wanted one. But to answer your question who did I support when the Albion were shit would have been Southwick, or whatever county league side my son played for. But I did have a season ticket at all the grounds the Albion played at

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Not really that bothered, but simply down to the number of Liverpool "supporters" that turn up to my local only when they are on telly then act like complete CJTC's, Spurs :thumbsup:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It's a game of football, albeit a high profile one, between two teams I have absolutely no affiliation with at all.

I'll watch, probably, hopefully it's a good game, but if I "choose" anyone it'll be because I feel they deserve to wins, or perhaps the team that frustrates me the least with diving, moaning, and general shithousery.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Nothing new, but gotta wonder how you can look at the current product and say 'let's make it better':-

[tweet]1126578299700940801[/tweet]

Is it not already a closed shop for wealthy elite clubs? Ok, you will now and again get a rogue "little" team sneak through, but it's a one season wonder before they get ripped apart that summer by the wealthy elite clubs buying up all of their best players. See Monaco.

There was a part of me - despite (nearly) always pulling for the English club - that wasn't comfortable with cheering Spurs on, as it did feel a bit like cheering for Goliath when, despite being wounded, he finally slugged poor little David at the end. My pull for the underdog has always been great, and is getting greater as the giants of the game, are just becoming ever bigger and more dominant. While I'm pleased it's English teams, I do wonder whether the richest League in the World, having all four finalists is actually a cause for celebration in terms of the overall product.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here