Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What would happen if we finished dead level with Cardiff?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Question has been asked on BBC regarding the Man City and Liverpool run in. I would expect the same in a relegation scenario, whatever that scenario is... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48136471

What happens if two clubs finish joint on points?
If teams finish a season level on points, then they will be separated by goal difference. If they are also level on that, then goals scored is the decider.

If they are still level and in the battle for the title, a final relegation place or European spot, then a play-off is needed.

Unlike other competitions there is no head-to-head rule - so Premier League rules say "the clubs concerned shall play off one or more deciding league matches on neutral grounds, the format, timing and venue of which shall be determined by the board".

It can't really happen, because the number of goals Cardiff need to score to match our goal difference, we'd still have to match as well as conceding many more in 2 games, losing games like 10-5.
Erm... no - we don't even have to score, let alone match Cardiff's efforts. No silly scorelines are required either, in fact individually, each envisaged result is far more likely than Bournemouth were to win by 5 at the Amex.
If only you'd bothered to read the OP, then you could have avoided looking like an arithmetical :dunce: :)

all irrelevant come 7.30 Saturday night
I do hope so!

Last edited:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
From PL website......

If any clubs finish with the same number of points, their position in the Premier League table is determined by goal difference, then the number of goals scored. If the teams still cannot be separated, they will be awarded the same position in the table.

......hopefully alphabetical order [emoji106][emoji16]

So we would both be relegated.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Hmmm good question. :ffsparr:. Near Bordeaux perhaps...

I think playing it in France would be an unfair home advantage for Brighton.

Some where like Wolverherhampton could work? :jester:

Is Wolverherhampton near Paris? I think it's where the Nazis kept their Wolverhers.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
This would require us to revert to the form shown against Bournemouth, whilst Cardiff would need to recapture their performance against Chelsea, a match they would surely have won with VAR.
View attachment 108814
So, the nightmare scenario...

Cardiff 3 Palace 0, Arsenal 5 Albion 0.

Man Utd 0 Cardiff 0, Albion 0 Man City 6 .

Would it go on away form, or maybe disciplinary record, before any play-off?

Are abandoned matches replayed in the PL?

If not, should we start leaking goals next week we just need 4 players to be sent off and we stay up.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
This would require us to revert to the form shown against Bournemouth, whilst Cardiff would need to recapture their performance against Chelsea, a match they would surely have won with VAR.
So, the nightmare scenario...

Cardiff 3 Palace 0, Arsenal 5 Albion 0.

Man Utd 0 Cardiff 0, Albion 0 Man City 6 .

Would it go on away form, or maybe disciplinary record, before any play-off?

Given how shit we are,, our results look likely..
I'm still pissed at losing two crucial consecutive home games really badly.
You would of thought CH would of had them bounce back after a humiliating 0-5 home defeat.

Utter garbage. How can anyone just forget about that and just go on to the next game, Obviously nothing was learnt from it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here