Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who would want to play for Brighton?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Any half decent player looking at how we setup will run a mile if our recruiting team make contact

Will we continue to be attractive to players who want to play in the Premier League and play with a manager/set up like Hughton/Ashworth, earn a decent ££ contract and facilities like Lancing - of course they will.

Will teams like Brighton, Norwich, Sheff Utd, Burnley, and so on be able to attract and pay for the the same sort of players as most other clubs given their budget - no.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
It actually says that (according to Bissouma) that he's a "great" football coach, and he's developed him as a player. Also do you think caring and helping the players off the pitch is also not part, in fact a key part, of being top level football coach. ?

Yes, but my point is, regardless of an individual's comments about him being a nice guy (I think everyone acknowledges that) and him being a great football coach, a simplistic view is why are we not getting results or even getting anywhere near picking up points against Bournemouth, Southampton, Cardiff and others in recent games who are clubs of similar stature and realistically clubs we should be competing with if we want to stay in this league. Surely a manager's most important quality is coaching players to get results or, at the very least, coaching them so they have some semblance of a team- we've probably seen about 3 good halves of football in the last 9 games in my eyes, is that good enough?

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Will we continue to be attractive to players who want to play in the Premier League and play with a manager/set up like Hughton/Ashworth, earn a decent ££ contract and facilities like Lancing - of course they will.

Will teams like Brighton, Norwich, Sheff Utd, Burnley, and so on be able to attract and pay for the the same sort of players as most other clubs given their budget - no.

Then what is it that Bournemouth are doing that we are not ?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Ha ! Football is not a business at the end of the day. Tony Bloom has given this club £320m + because he supports it.
Will he sack Hughton this summer , assuming we're safe - not a chance .

Indeed I seem to remember in an interview or article when he was given an honorary doctorate by one of the local universities that BHAFC was the one thing he did that was NOT just about business and making money.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Indeed I seem to remember in an interview or article when he was given an honorary doctorate by one of the local universities that BHAFC was the one thing he did that was NOT just about business and making money.

Fingers crossed for Chris he concluded that sentence thus:-

NOT just about business and making money it's all about dogged defending and not shooting.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yes, but my point is, regardless of an individual's comments about him being a nice guy (I think everyone acknowledges that) and him being a great football coach, a simplistic view is why are we not getting results or even getting anywhere near picking up points against Bournemouth, Southampton, Cardiff and others in recent games who are clubs of similar stature and realistically clubs we should be competing with if we want to stay in this league. Surely a manager's most important quality is coaching players to get results or, at the very least, coaching them so they have some semblance of a team- we've probably seen about 3 good halves of football in the last 9 games in my eyes, is that good enough?

Cup semi-final two halves...... Tottenham away two halves, ....... Wolves two halves....... yesterday afternoon.

But it might depend on how you define a good half of football.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Assuming we are safe at the end of the season, the club will then take stock and start planning for next season.

Bloom is an experienced successful businessmen, admittedly the Albion is also his passion, but nonetheless he will have a frank and open discussion with his key employees about what went well what went badly and what needs to change next season. No-one in that room will be saying "yeah but what about the lack of points in the home games at the end of the season! Hughton isn't good enough"
If we stay up, Hughton will start the season. Bloom is not the type of man to jettison an employee who has delivered on what he said he could deliver.

Yes there is a question about Hughton's abilities in this Division.
This is uncharted territory for him. He has never had to rebuild a premier league team before, and it is arguable as to whether he will be able to.

On the flipside the balance of recruitment has been off this season. We got lucky with Ryan/Gross/Izquierdo/Propper last season and felt we could rely on the european league to provide us bargains again.

Hughton has been vocal about the level of players available to him. He knows better than anybody, that to develop the imported players he needs experienced Premier League players around the team too. It's no coincidence that the arrival of Rosenior, Sidwell and Murray saw us go from a playoffs team to pushing for automatics.
We need a better balance in the current squad to help us improve IMO.

To achieve this will probably mean changing our wage structure. IMO it is this, more than the manager that is holding the club back.
Hughton tried to change the tactics for the club, but the players were found wanting.
Tony Bloom will have to decide what he wants from the club. To compete, or to struggle.
Getting a new manager in to liven the existing players up and see if we can compete with the level of players we have, is another option, but is probably more of a gamble than sticking with Hughton. IMO

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Really? Seems the recruitment team struggled last year and the ship seems in worse shape this season, there are alot easier fishing trips which I could have taken the option on. This was a valid point considering recruitment is the elephant in the room atm.

Many NSC’ers believe we have a high quality PL squad; bursting with pace, creativity and accomplished skill sets, all held back by Chris Hughton.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ha ! Football is not a business at the end of the day. Tony Bloom has given this club £320m + because he supports it.
Will he sack Hughton this summer , assuming we're safe - not a chance .

TB will be determined that we stay in the PL for seasons to come, with £110m of additional income per season making it a viable business, so that he doesn’t have to add to the £320m.

With CH staying, do you think the club the will strengthen the first team with genuine quality and pace this summer?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Really? Seems the recruitment team struggled last year and the ship seems in worse shape this season, there are alot easier fishing trips which I could have taken the option on. This was a valid point considering recruitment is the elephant in the room atm.

Loads of posters have spoken about the recruitment since the START of the season.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Plenty. Great city, outstanding facilities, fantastic support and stadium. If player were coming to us when we were relegation threatened in the Championship, players will be biting our hands off to come in the Premier League, regardless of our current struggles.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
TB will be determined that we stay in the PL for seasons to come, with £110m of additional income per season making it a viable business, so that he doesn’t have to add to the £320m.

With CH staying, do you think the club the will strengthen the first team with genuine quality and pace this summer?

Yes I do.
Some will come off. Some probably won't.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Lionel Messi
Neymar
Pele...

It’s the chuck names in the hat game... yeahhhh :banana:

Me. I'd play for the Albion. Yes, I might still have reservations about some of the more proptracted defensive passages, especially with my knees. But, no, in seriousness, I would. :thumbsup:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Q: Would you like to play kick ball for a few hours a week, living on the English riviera, with world class facilities and earn £2m a year. . . .

A: errr, maybe?

Giroud is a half sensible proposition, it may well suit him as well.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Luckily our players, when weighing up whether to sign or not will be considering a bunch of factors ( ££, location, facilities, squad) including hearing from the existing players about Hughton and his reputation - but probably not reading NSC - here's a typical but not unusual comment by Yves Bissouma.

"In my short career he is the best manager I’ve had. He’s a man who helps me understand things on a daily basis and never stops exploring ways for me to get better, not just in football but in life. He’s not just a coach, he’s like another father to me. When I first arrived there were some complications with my family getting visas and he went to fight for me. And when my wife and I had our first child, he sent a present and card to our house. And there are so many other things he’s done to help me. He’s very different to other managers I’ve had. They have all been good but he is great.”

"https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/apr/04/brighton-yves-bissouma-hard-to-leave-my-parents

Wow, that is a glowing endorsement of the man. Doesn’t mean he is the best chap to get the max from our players.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Plenty. Great city, outstanding facilities, fantastic support and stadium. If player were coming to us when we were relegation threatened in the Championship, players will be biting our hands off to come in the Premier League, regardless of our current struggles.

Players dont care about any of this, if they did Palace would never sing anyone

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Luckily our players, when weighing up whether to sign or not will be considering a bunch of factors ( ££, location, facilities, squad) including hearing from the existing players about Hughton and his reputation - but probably not reading NSC - here's a typical but not unusual comment by Yves Bissouma.

"In my short career he is the best manager I’ve had. He’s a man who helps me understand things on a daily basis and never stops exploring ways for me to get better, not just in football but in life. He’s not just a coach, he’s like another father to me. When I first arrived there were some complications with my family getting visas and he went to fight for me. And when my wife and I had our first child, he sent a present and card to our house. And there are so many other things he’s done to help me. He’s very different to other managers I’ve had. They have all been good but he is great.”

"https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/apr/04/brighton-yves-bissouma-hard-to-leave-my-parents

Wow! sounds like the only thing CH hasn't done for this lad is ........

Improve him as a player :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here