Page 43 of 69 FirstFirst ... 334041424344454653 ... LastLast
    Members

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritt23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because managers as good as him do not come around very often. Arguably the best manager we've ever had, so it could be a VERY long time before we find ourselves with a better one.

We will look back on his time as a truly great era in our history, and him as the catalyst, the man that delivered the success, and some will then have a strange "why was I so keen to see it all end?" look on their face.
    Absolutely agree.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post
      We should be beating sides like Southampton though...

Attachment 108547
      Classic @El Presidente, annoyingly countering vendettas with facts.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gritt23 View Post
      Because managers as good as him do not come around very often. Arguably the best manager we've ever had, so it could be a VERY long time before we find ourselves with a better one.

We will look back on his time as a truly great era in our history, and him as the catalyst, the man that delivered the success, and some will then have a strange "why was I so keen to see it all end?" look on their face.
      You're thinking like a supporter of a League One side. We're in the Premier League now.

Plus the opposing logic could easily be applied. We could easily get a better manager who leads to a better form of football and to us establishing ourselves higher up the table for years to come, at which point some of you may be sitting there thinking "I can't believe I sat through the dross that Hughton used to serve up - it turned out to be a really good decision to change managers".

Ultimately, the outcome of such change would depend solely on who that manager is.
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by sussex_guy2k2 View Post
      You're thinking like a supporter of a League One side. We're in the Premier League now.

Plus the opposing logic could easily be applied. We could easily get a better manager who leads to a better form of football and to us establishing ourselves higher up the table for years to come, at which point some of you may be sitting there thinking "I can't believe I sat through the dross that Hughton used to serve up - it turned out to be a really good decision to change managers".

Ultimately, the outcome of such change would depend solely on who that manager is.
      I totally agree, have we peaked with manager acquisitions? There are plenty of fans who seem to think so

Let’s not even consider looking for better, we were lucky to get CH.

I like CH and he has done a fantastic job, he’s not doing one at the moment though, imo. But as long as TB is happy with him that’s also fine with me.
      Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser - Toto Wolff

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bobkin View Post
      I'd be fascinated to see where the club would've finished if he had stuck with the players that he WAS using, before introducing the new names who – let's not dress it up – have been mediocre at best. The headache over the Summer for Chris (and I think it should still be Chris) is whether or not he thinks he can get a tune out of them with a decent pre-season, or if it means spending MORE money on players to replace the big money signings...
      The club (not CH) will spend, I hope, on two creative ACM’ers, a RB and a striker.

I see Andone, Jahanbakhsh and Locadia all being given more time, unless they ask to leave.
      The ONLY Gay in Brighton El Presidente's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by sussex_guy2k2 View Post
      We could easily get a better manager who leads to a better form of football and to us establishing ourselves higher up the table for years to come.
      Who and how?
      Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post
      Who and how?
      You know that’s not our job but if you really think there’s not one out there you are in denial. There are people at the club paid big money for their recruitment skills. No managers that could come in and do a better job in the whole of the football world? Really?

It would however be a risk and we don’t do risks on anything but players bought
      Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser - Toto Wolff

0 Not allowed!
      I would be very happy to see JL and AJ not pull on the stripes again. They’ve had enough chances, they just do not cut it at this level. We need to be sharper in our decisions, and just get on with it. Not sure we’d get much for either of them, because they have proven so clearly that they offer very very little at this level, and clubs in the Champ would surely far rather spend precious £s on something proven, and not take the same calculated risk that we took, when the outcome of that risk is now already known. It would at least free up two squad places, and a fair amount of wage budget, to make important acquisitions that WILL be used. I’m talking advanced centre mid (this is where I would love to see DP play, but he never will under Hughton, so I think he’ll be off), and at least one decent striker (and if that meant paying £25m+ for a dominant Mitrovic type character, then I’d do it). We just need to be clinical in his closed season, which might seem harsh on individuals, but we haven’t come here to feck spiders, we’ve come here to entertain and win matches. And the horrendous 5 month trend needs to be very quickly reversed, with a ruthless squad review, sensible recruitment, and a manager capable of change, and the ability to blend that new talent into a more positive approach. I shudder to think what the ST renewals would look like if the first DD due was 1st July, not 1st March......
      seagull wedgee

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by seagullwedgee View Post
      I would be very happy to see JL and AJ not pull on the stripes again. They’ve had enough chances, they just do not cut it at this level. We need to be sharper in our decisions, and just get on with it. Not sure we’d get much for either of them, because they have proven so clearly that they offer very very little at this level, and clubs in the Champ would surely far rather spend precious £s on something proven, and not take the same calculated risk that we took, when the outcome of that risk is now already known. It would at least free up two squad places, and a fair amount of wage budget, to make important acquisitions that WILL be used. I’m talking advanced centre mid (this is where I would love to see DP play, but he never will under Hughton, so I think he’ll be off), and at least one decent striker (and if that meant paying £25m+ for a dominant Mitrovic type character, then I’d do it). We just need to be clinical in his closed season, which might seem harsh on individuals, but we haven’t come here to feck spiders, we’ve come here to entertain and win matches. And the horrendous 5 month trend needs to be very quickly reversed, with a ruthless squad review, sensible recruitment, and a manager capable of change, and the ability to blend that new talent into a more positive approach. I shudder to think what the ST renewals would look like if the first DD due was 1st July, not 1st March......
      I thought that during many of our losses this season, DP was positioned in a far more advanced role. Leaving DS exposed as opposing CM’ers counter attacked us en masse?

DP has no pace, so if he must play, perhaps sittiing in front of LD/SD, is the only suitable position?
      Last edited by Weststander; 30-04-2019 at 12:42.

0 Not allowed!
      Who could top Alan Mullery was the question when he went but we actually improved and moved up the table and well out of any relegation fears so Hughton could be easily replaced. Not like he’s Klopp or Guardiola