Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan - analysis & discussion

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Plus his distribution and use of feet is very very good.

It really isn't at all. If chipping the ball skywards every time he kicks with his left foot is good I'm missing something. His feet are pitching wedges

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Bullshit. He has made some stunning stops. Plus his distribution and use of feet is very very good.

Name the stunning stops. He gave away at least 2 tonight that any competent league 1 keeper would have saved. We can easily do better than Ryan. Not another team in the bottom 10 would be remotely interested in signing him. Nice bloke, but not good enough if we want to progress.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Name the stunning stops. He gave away at least 2 tonight that any competent league 1 keeper would have saved. We can easily do better than Ryan. Not another team in the bottom 10 would be remotely interested in signing him. Nice bloke, but not good enough if we want to progress.

This. Some appear happy to bump along but we want to progress that means improving each position we can within our budget. considering how cheap he was comparing him to others, I would say he's worth what we paid for him and that would compute to the least paid for any position on the pitch baring homegrown. Therefore an upgrade should be within our finances. This goes for every position.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This. Some appear happy to bump along but we want to progress that means improving each position we can within our budget. considering how cheap he was comparing him to others, I would say he's worth what we paid for him and that would compute to the least paid for any position on the pitch baring homegrown. Therefore an upgrade should be within our finances. This goes for every position.

Who would you suggest, what would they offer that’s better then Maty and at what cost ?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I would like to see the stats on how many times he gets beaten down to his left, I like Ryan a lot actually and I’m not ready to say we need a new keeper but I have definitely noticed teams seem to be ‘targeting’ shots towards that side, I could be imagining it mind you.

Even from memory in the north stand, I remember him making a fair few very good saves down to his right but left? Not sure.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
The reality is he is a steady keeper but no better than any other Premier League keeper. So will he do? Yes.
BUT, if we want to improve we need to get better- same for everyone else other than Dunk- we should always look to improve.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Who would you suggest, what would they offer that’s better then Maty and at what cost ?

He cost peanuts we paid 20 million for a CB when we had an academy full of them yet bought an average keeper and two poor understudies

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Umm, try answering the question?

I’m not a ****ing scout or know who maybe available. I’m not geek studying the football world but I know Burnley alone had three better keepers than him last year

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Ryan had a really poor game tonight (yes it was against City) but he could have done better with at least 3 of the goals and also came out at a corner and got nowhere near it. He’s great at instinctive saves and making them but I don’t think he’s good enough to be our number 1. I’ve said it before that I don’t think his distribution is great (Stockdale’s was better !)

Whether Walton is good enough to take his place or we will need to dip in to the transfer market is another question but we do need to consider a change in the goalkeeper position .

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Well they were posted on another thread for all to see and prove my point.

Well that makes you right then and I apologise because we all know football stats tell the full story.
If he's as great as you think he is I'm sure a top team will come calling soon. I shall watch this space..

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Ryan had a really poor game tonight (yes it was against City) but he could have done better with at least 3 of the goals and also came out at a corner and got nowhere near it. He’s great at instinctive saves and making them but I don’t think he’s good enough to be our number 1. I’ve said it before that I don’t think his distribution is great (Stockdale’s was better !)

Whether Walton is good enough to take his place or we will need to dip in to the transfer market is another question but we do need to consider a change in the goalkeeper position .

I agree and that is what I've been saying. I haven't slated him, knocked him for being crap but am saying we got what we paid for and if we are to progress up the league his position is one we can upgrade. It's not my position to suggest a keeper but anyone with a brain knows there's better around and keepers go for a more realistic price tag. Forgetting tonight he's not a calamity keeper but one with limitations.

For a team that, since our rise to the Premiership has had to defend an awful lot I can't remember one game (memory may be deserting me) where Ryan has been the standout MoM

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Well that makes you right then and I apologise because we all know football stats tell the full story.
If he's as great as you think he is I'm sure a top team will come calling soon. I shall watch this space..

I watched it. Nothing yet:shrug:

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Having watched us since 1982 I can’t think of another keeper who I’ve more confidence in of coming to claim the ball without dropping it, reflex saves spot on and who’s distribution is pretty decent. Best keeper we’ve had in my supporting time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here