Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan - analysis & discussion

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I love Maty... but he should not have come off his line for their 2nd at all. C-L was running away from goal and doubtful would have scored from that angle if Matt was on his line. I’m sure Ben Roberts etc will be analysing but it was obvious he made the wrong choice.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I love Maty... but he should not have come off his line for their 2nd at all. C-L was running away from goal and doubtful would have scored from that angle if Matt was on his line. I’m sure Ben Roberts etc will be analysing but it was obvious he made the wrong choice.

For once a criticism I actually agree with. Don't understand why any keeper charges out like that, and to be fair Ryan isn't alone. Nearly always ends in tears!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Pointless question.... Matt Ryan is one reason we are still in the Prem.
He does great saves week after week. No point nit picking when we concede.
If I supported Everton I'd be disappointed with Pickford yesterday though.

It’s an old thread. Yes it is a bit nit picking but it’s a valid point. And yes he’s fantastic - I’m not having a pop I’m just observing he shouldn’t have come flying out yesterday.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

Spot on. And you could tell by his reaction that he knew it was an error. However, he does way more great things that gain us points than lose them. And is someone has pointed out Everton and England fans should have way more to worry about if Pickford is the best

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

For once a criticism I actually agree with. Don't understand why any keeper charges out like that, and to be fair Ryan isn't alone. Nearly always ends in tears!

I'm not so sure. In the first half he came running out to close down Walcott (albeit a little closer to goal) and made a great block. If he had stayed back Walcott would have been in a great goal scoring opportunity. At this level, that sort of angle is a good position for a competent striker, he can go near post, far post and Ryan has to try to cover both. Coming out like he did, limits the options and Calvert Lewin managed to get it in, where Walcott didn't. Even if it is a tactic you think is wrong, I don't know that Ben Roberts etc will be criticising him for it, it's just a preference thing. It's not your preference, but it is Maty's/Ben's.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm not so sure. In the first half he came running out to close down Walcott (albeit a little closer to goal) and made a great block. If he had stayed back Walcott would have been in a great goal scoring opportunity. At this level, that sort of angle is a good position for a competent striker, he can go near post, far post and Ryan has to try to cover both. Coming out like he did, limits the options and Calvert Lewin managed to get it in, where Walcott didn't. Even if it is a tactic you think is wrong, I don't know that Ben Roberts etc will be criticising him for it, it's just a preference thing. It's not your preference, but it is Maty's/Ben's.

Different situation / angle / chance. I’m certain he shouldn’t have come off his line for this one as he wouldn’t have been beaten from where C-L was.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I agree but coming off the line in a vaguely similar way stopped Walcott scoring :shrug:

A bit like Bruce Grobelaar, you can look world class or a mug depending on how it turns out when you come off tour line.

Edit I see [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] has made a similar point

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Different situation / angle / chance. I’m certain he shouldn’t have come off his line for this one as he wouldn’t have been beaten from where C-L was.

They were Walcott was 6 yards out on his better foot facing the goal for what would have been an easy chance.
The DCL goal he was running away from goal slightly on his weaker foot. If he covers the near post DCL would have to cut it back first time as Webster would have got to him with a touch or 2. Also Matt got the angles badly wrong the finish was tidy but rolled basically down the middle.
Saying that he’s been really good for past few weeks.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

As you quite rightly point out I'm not a goal keeping coach...

However, the two incidents you highlight were chalk and cheese, the Walcott example was pretty much on the angle of the 6 yard box, whereas Calvert Lewin was going away from goal and had the decision what to do made easy for him with Ryan's rush goalie tactics.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

He got that one wrong but he also got the one that prevented Walcott scoring in the first half very, very right

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
He got that one wrong but he also got the one that prevented Walcott scoring in the first half very, very right

Unfortunately goal keepers aren't really in the position to barter or trade-off rights against wrongs, as clearly the wrongs are far more damaging.

My criticism wasn't of Ryan per se, but any goal keeper that makes the same choice under the same circumstances!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
He has looked almost back to his best these last few games although he got his angles a bit wrong for Everton's second goal. Other than that I thought he has been excellent lately.

Yes, for a midget he is a very very good goal keeper! Not generally flash or show off, just does the job very well.

Compare against Pickford and his decision making and I know which keeper I would prefer between the sticks for The Albion.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes, for a midget he is a very very good goal keeper! Not generally flash or show off, just does the job very well.

Compare against Pickford and his decision making and I know which keeper I would prefer between the sticks for The Albion.

Thought Pickford looked very suspect yesterday.
Should’ve stopped Pascal’s free kick (accepting it was pretty well hit)
Fumbled Dunk’s free kick and got away with it
One bizarre diving punch when he could’ve caught the ball
Would I swap him for Maty ? Nope.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
They were Walcott was 6 yards out on his better foot facing the goal for what would have been an easy chance.
The DCL goal he was running away from goal slightly on his weaker foot. If he covers the near post DCL would have to cut it back first time as Webster would have got to him with a touch or 2. Also Matt got the angles badly wrong the finish was tidy but rolled basically down the middle.
Saying that he’s been really good for past few weeks.

I think part of the issue was Matty expected and went for a near post shot whereas forward hit the far post. Some you win and some you lose.

It was a one-on-one that he misjudged and got caught in no man's land, making it easier for the Everton guy. But our defence of rooted statues was more of a problem

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here