Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Izquierdo - what’s going on?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Said it at the time as well, so this isn't anyone being Captain Hindsight. We had plenty of other options down the left, so WHY we continued playing a half-fit and totally ineffective Izqueirdo I have absolutely no idea. He could have gone under the knife MONTHS ago, come back, got a pre-season under his belt and be ready for August. But no. Him continuing to train and play probably fvcked it up even further.

I daresay we can probably look forward to this dragging on till Christmas now.

This!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I was lead to believe by my sauce that the op is a make or break one and we wanted to try and get some more mileage out of him just in case that is it!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was lead to believe by my sauce that the op is a make or break one and we wanted to try and get some more mileage out of him just in case that is it!

How very professional of us, I don't believe it, but have no better explanation as to why we let this drag on. He was clearly way way short of the speed and form of last season.

The talk of priests praying for him doesn't sound like your normal type of injury though.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I thought he was a like for like swap for the injury prone Lua Lua, unfortunately he is too like for like and has the same problem.

When he is fit he should be sent out on loan in January. He cannot be part of any immediate plan.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Agreed. Though whilst it acknowledges that Potter no longer plays with wingers as a kind of barrier, it fails to recognise that Welbeck has recently been playing in the position Jose mostly played with Club Brugge, left of a front three.

Isn't he out of contract in the summer?, if so will the club extend by a further year do we reckon or release him?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Isn't he out of contract in the summer?, if so will the club extend by a further year do we reckon or release him?

Injuries are clearly an issue. I doubt he’ll get another season but he can hit the target effectively unlike most of the squad.

A couple of goals between now and the end of the season and who knows?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I hope he gets the game time to show that he hasn’t lost his pace, if he hasn’t I’d love him to get a new contract. One of the few players we have had who can get you off your seat in anticipation as he starts to run at the opposition. Apart from Biss and Tross I don’t see that from any other players, and we desperately need it imo. Lallana should be able to do it too I think but not much evidence so far

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
I hope he gets the game time to show that he hasn’t lost his pace, if he hasn’t I’d love him to get a new contract. One of the few players we have had who can get you off your seat in anticipation as he starts to run at the opposition. Apart from Biss and Tross I don’t see that from any other players, and we desperately need it imo. Lallana should be able to do it too I think but not much evidence so far

If he doesn’t have any suitors in the summer, would like to think we could offer him an appearance based contract.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'd like him to stay if he is still as quick but I fear the Covid downward pressure on the overall wage bill will mean a tough decision is made and we wave goodbye.

I remember Calde being given a year contract as "Chairman's Pick" and perhaps similar could happen again, although maybe unlikely.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
If Izzy is back to full fitness, ready and raring to go, I'd pick him over Welbeck any day of the week.

Welcome back Izzy; we've missed you.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
I'd like to see him used more for the rest of this season if only from the bench. We know that he could offer better than others in the squad can (pace, running at defenders, shooting), and there were glimpses last week that he may still be able to. If so, I'd keep him for another season at least.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Pretty sure they could measure his pace in training sessions, dont really need game time for that.

I think the main reason Izzy has been in the squad a lot is mostly about Potter liking him as a person/professional, on that basis I dont find it impossible that he gets another year (where he would have a better chance of playing since he would have a real pre-season behind him etc). Probably not very likely though.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I thought there was something in his contract about an automatic extension if he played a few more games this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here