Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Water canons are the answer

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just read her speech. Basically spouting the same old stuff. Nothing new there. Sure we could do with lowering emissions, but it is not the catastrophe she describes. And the places to start her haranguing are China, India and the USA. Whatever the UK does will make not one jot of difference unless those countries follow suit. And will they? No. And the biggest problem, which she conveniently chooses to ignore. is population growth. If that is brought down to zero we'll be OK.

I just can't stand the idea of some uppity teenager believing she can tell the world how to fix this imagined problem. And worse still I can't understand why the world listens to her.

Today's teenagers are tomorrow's policy makers. Suck it up.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Growing up in progressive Sweden, Greta Thunberg probably knows more about this issue than the average U.K. adult.
Certainly more switched on than the likes of Goldstone.
Her speech was smart, accurate, polite and devastating.
It does not surprise me that the points she raises have the “bury your head brigade” in a panic.
To them I say; grow up, take responsibility. Problems do not go away if you ignore them.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If you’re a grown adult and you feel threatened by some kid talking about climate change and trying to make sure that the world doesn't die in a ball of flames, please take a long, hard look at yourself.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If you’re a grown adult and you feel threatened by some kid talking about climate change and trying to make sure that the world doesn't die in a ball of flames, please take a long, hard look at yourself.

Sums it up perfectly. Good post.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

Personally I don't feel in the slightest threatened by a 17 year old. Just so surprised that anyone is taking any notice of her. After all she's just repeating what we've heard before.

And as for no more air travel? Why don't we just go back to living in caves?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Personally I don't feel in the slightest threatened by a 17 year old. Just so surprised that anyone is taking any notice of her. After all she's just repeating what we've heard before.

You sound threatened.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
The problem with these protestors is they need to convince the majority of ordinary, everyday people to believe in their cause, part of which will involve people making lasting changes to their lifestyles and maybe voting patterns in the future. The very people they are frustrating and angering are the ones they need to be on board going forward, in short it is a stupid strategy that alienates the very people their cause depends upon.

I support their purpose but not their methods which will, in my opinion, set their cause back a few steps.

Exactly, don't pee off the people you want to convince. e.g. The guards v Southern Rail and Northern Rail, that really got the public on their side, NOT. People up north were quite 'insulting' to the striking guards for all the disruption.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

You have. Rather a lot.

Lush

Mods' Pet
This part of Greta Thunberg's speech to Parliament is the crux of it for me.

"Now we probably don’t even have a future any more. Because that future was sold so that a small number of people could make unimaginable amounts of money."

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I wouldn’t worry about global warming.

Antibiotic resistance will wipe us out first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Exactly, don't pee off the people you want to convince. e.g. The guards v Southern Rail and Northern Rail, that really got the public on their side, NOT. People up north were quite 'insulting' to the striking guards for all the disruption.

You and Reddleman have misunderstood the objective of the protests. They are trying to get governments across the globe to legislate drastic change to save the planet. If the bloke on the street gets pissed off with that legislation, tough.

And as for the people saying, why the UK? Why aren't they protesting elsewhere? They are, in 80 cities around the world.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

"Now we probably don’t even have a future any more. Because that future was sold so that a small number of people could make unimaginable amounts of money."

nailed it ....she's right as well , and those obscenely rich pricks are the ones who will not be affected at all ........as usual the poorest will cop the worst ....most of micro and polynesia under water within 25 years ....Bangladesh , it's all very well arguing that we are not causing global warming , the stark truth that is staring us in the face is that we are , rising sea levels are going to cause havoc in the coming years and that is a subject close to the hearts of many sussex residents.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

yep

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
And worryingly as she points out, it's only EU legislation that has made the UK government act. If we leave the EU, watch us take apart that legislation and start Fracking at an exponential rate. Money money money money

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

not really, its been for the benefit and utility of us. companies make money along the way but the public are the beneficiaries, labour saving things, things for pleasure, work things, jobs, holidays, recreation etc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
not really, its been for the benefit and utility of us. companies make money along the way but the public are the beneficiaries, labour saving things, things for pleasure, work things, jobs, holidays, recreation etc.

:lolol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I wouldn’t worry about global warming.

Antibiotic resistance will wipe us out first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry about antibiotic resistance.

Anti-vaxxers will wipe us out first.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Sorry, how has the top 1% owning 45% of the World's wealth benefitted me personally?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here