Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What would relegation mean for Tony Bloom?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
id be surprised if he didnt factor in the possibility of relegation. i expect it would be a massive disappointment for Bloom the fan, while a planned contingency for Bloom the owner.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yes and no. The club, as we know them, will have factored all this in. We won't be doing an Aston Villa.

This. Three teams out of a possible 14 will get relegated every season, and we’ve definitely started the past two seasons as one of the more likely candidates. There is no way an operator like Paul Barber won’t have some contingency.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think the club were a little complacent in January as we'd performed above expectations in the first half of the season but injuries to Gross, combined with loss of form of Murray and others have led to roughly 8 points since halfway.

Easier said than done though. Last January we tried to sign Dembele, then Mitrovic and finally panic bought Locadia. I think Locadia is an ok squad player at this level, but we paid about 12-13m over the odds.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm not sure it was ever his plan for high profitability.

He is a fan who has many other revenue streams.

I don't think we'd need to sell anybody financially, the wage budget is well within 1st season parachutes. We would have to sell based on player ambition though (not much of that on display Saturday mind).

Yes, this.
I think he’d just be as sick as the vast majority of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So it's ok then. It's going to cost Bloom MILLIONS. But we'll have planned for it. So no big deal.

Phew. Cheers Tone.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Sometimes you can’t control things in your life, and in football that means bad results and relegations, they happen. When we got promoted in 2017, no one knew for how many seasons we’d stay up, with the bookies/pundits making us one of the favourites for relegation in both seasons. Revealing the challenge.

But first let’s worry about tonight.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
99% if we win as it means Cardiff will need to win 3 of their remaining 4 games without us picking up another point as we will be 8 points ahead of them
Yes, indeed.

This is not a £90million game, though - as later games are also involved in determining the overall outcome.

Would be a bit silly to say we have lost a £90 million game if we then win at Wolves, for example.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I think the club were a little complacent in January as we'd performed above expectations in the first half of the season but injuries to Gross, combined with loss of form of Murray and others have led to roughly 8 points since halfway.

Seemed like a bit of a gamble at the time, still might pay off but has made a nervous end to the season for us.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
So it's ok then. It's going to cost Bloom MILLIONS. But we'll have planned for it. So no big deal.

Phew. Cheers Tone.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I'm not sure the point you're trying to make. Your OP asks a lot of questions, but then you seem to be attacking the opinions that don't tally up with what you perceive the situation to be. Yes, there will be a financial hit and it will be a 'big deal' of sorts, but I'm not sure any chairman of a PL club gets into it to make serious amounts of money – that's what their other businesses are for, the ones that have provided the capital in the first place to be able to afford to buy a Premier League club.

Will he be gutted? Yes, but probably as a fan more than a businessman/chairman.
Will he be expecting it? At the beginning of the season, possibly. At the turn of the year maybe less so. But we are very small fish in a very large pond with some massive fish who look to dominate all around them. The team is where I expected them to be and yet still haven't been in the relegation zone. That's an achievement or sorts in itself, IMO.
Are there issues that need addressing? Without a doubt. Players haven't performed consistently to what we (and the club hierarchy) expected, which has piled on the pressure since the turn of the year.
Will the club have planned for it? Hell yeah! Remember all the 'Premier League Ready shloblocks in the seasons BEFORE the team made it? The reverse will also be true. No one will publicly say it, but you can guarantee discussions have been had and contingency plans drawn up.

But here's an interesting thing (not sure if this is the right place for it or not, but sod it). Last season, after 32 games we had 34 points, versus this season's 33. But last season were were only four points off relegation, as opposed to five for this season (https://www.worldfootball.net/schedule/eng-premier-league-2017-2018-spieltag/32/). So yes, I get why fans are panicking (style of football, current form, etc, etc, etc), but we are STILL better off (in terms of avoiding relegation, not points, ovbs) than last season. Win tonight and we're one point better off than after 33 games last season.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Three, really. They’d be 8 behind with a big GD deficit- two wins and two draws probably wouldn’t be enough.

Assuming they beat Fulham and Palace, they’d also need to beat Liverpool or Manchester United.

Even Warnock admitted that he thought they needed to win against Burnley and us. Shit or bust for the Bluebirds tonight...

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I don't think TB would do this and I think there's an issue with the Articles that prohibit it, but, he could flog Brighton for a small fortune now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here