Votes: 248 46.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This. I'm wavering. If I hadn't seen how we could play (both Man U games, Palace, the whole promotion season) I would have conceded that Norwich had a point. He is on very, very,very, very thin ice.

You're a sensible bloke (you know I know that).

I have swung today. It is FAR from knee jerk. As I posted on another thread, the only thing that has been and still is holding some back is sentiment - genuine affection for a lovely bloke who has brought us premier league football, and who is always pure class.

But I think he's lost the team. Duffy and AK today were unforgivable. Dunk also was shit. And we were clueless in attack. Two games against poor sides at home and no shots on target?

No, no no. He will not pull us back from this. I fear that too much damage has been done, and we should no more give CH the job of getting us back up (if we go - and it may soon all be in the hands of Cardiff, I am sorry to say) than invite Theresa May to rebuild the nation after we fail to Brexit.

(That cheered me up, typing that last bit).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I have swung today. It is FAR from knee jerk. As I posted on another thread, the only thing that has been and still is holding some back is sentiment - genuine affection for a lovely bloke who has brought us premier league football, and who is always pure class.

But I think he's lost the team. Duffy and AK today were unforgivable. Dunk also was shit. And we were clueless in attack. Two games against poor sides at home and no shots on target?

No, no no. He will not pull us back from this. I fear that too much damage has been done, and we should no more give CH the job of getting us back up (if we go - and it may soon all be in the hands of Cardiff, I am sorry to say) than invite Theresa May to rebuild the nation after we fail to Brexit.

If we’re shite against Cardiff and Newcastle, yet stay up, it will interesting to see if TB pulls the trigger.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
The real issue here is very poor recruitment of forwards

Warren Aspinall has said scores of times we have failed to go after top up and coming Championship players

Chris has limited players to work with but we need to change the system

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As it seems likely that we will struggle for the rest of the season why bother to change now unless there is an obvious good candidate out there, which there doesn't appear to be, My view is lets see the season out and what CH can do to lift the players and make a decision in late May.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

As ever, well said.

#He’slostme2

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If we’re shite against Cardiff and Newcastle, yet stay up, it will interesting to see if TB pulls the trigger.

Yes. As I have said, I am not a betting man, but my view a week ago was he will wait till November and sack him if we are not top six (maybe top 2!). My feeling now is that he may already be looking at the list of candidates that he will absolutely certainly have already assembled. I am a sentimental old fool, and if I feel that the lovely man should go, my guess is that ice cool billionaire and football club owner, Tony Bloom, may be ahead of me in my thinking. :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Totally agree with this, but it is not two bad games. This has been going on much longer. We’ve scored two goals at home in 2019. We’ve won three in 18. The last two games are a culmination of a long term trend.

I was trying to be kind. I could have tolerated dour grindy outy wins and lower mid table finish, with a view to attracting better players by our emerging PL stability. However, now we have started shaping up for a jump through the trap door, the whole approach of playing the horse shoe come rain sleet or rain now looks a bit shit. So, yes, I agree.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes. As I have said, I am not a betting man, but my view a week ago was he will wait till November and sack him if we are not top six (maybe top 2!). My feeling now is that he may already be looking at the list of candidates that he will absolutely certainly have already assembled. I am a sentimental old fool, and if I feel that the lovely man should go, my guess is that ice cool billionaire and football club owner, Tony Bloom, may be ahead of me in my thinking. :shrug:

A summer of change then.

IMHO (and Radio Sussex), our first team lacks so much quality. The new manager will hopefully recognise that very early on in the summer window and TB will have to spend.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oh look where we were. Oh look where we were 15 years ago.

Bollox to that. Time to move on.

Sometimes you sum up the sentiments that I elaborate over 7 posts and 500 words so elegantly in just two lines. For that, and more, I salute you. :kiss::lolol:

matt

Mar 19, 2007

IMHO the problem is the squad overall. How many of our regular starters would get into the first XI of any of the teams above us? Dunk would get into half a dozen, Duffy and the keeper might get into a couple, but apart from that we're picking players every week who are at the very bottom of the Premier League talent pool. Hughton clearly doesn't have any secret sauce to make the performance of the team better than the individuals within it, but who would?

If we're very lucky we'll manage to pip Cardiff to 17th, and then hopefully we'll see a marked improvement in recruitment over the summer, as the past couple of years has seen minimal improvement in the quality of the team we are able to put onto the pitch.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
IMHO the problem is the squad overall. How many of our regular starters would get into the first XI of any of the teams above us? Dunk would get into half a dozen, Duffy and the keeper might get into a couple, but apart from that we're picking players every week who are at the very bottom of the Premier League talent pool. Hughton clearly doesn't have any secret sauce to make the performance of the team better than the individuals within it, but who would?

Totally agree. The recruitment has been very disappointing. The attackers who have joined are collectively dreadful

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Today is a sad day for me, all the chickens came home to roost and none of them are capable of laying an egg. Something has to change in the close season. Hopefully we will still be in the Premier League but I CAN see Cardiff beating us and getting the 3 points they will then need. I can see us getting **** all for the rest of the season, apart from mostly thumpings.

I am gutted tonight but accepting

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Not the time for this. We stay up or go down with Hughton, that's the least he deserves. Won't forget where we were after Hyypia mess.

But then there is a major review of what has gone wrong this season, with everything and all options on the table.

Similarities with the very tough decision United faced over Solskjaer after they beat some cannon fodder. Very hard not to give him job, but was that right call?
He has lost 4 of last 6, and the 2 they have won were outplayed by Watford and West Ham. Could be a heart v head call for Bloom.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Our fate will be decided in the next 7 days and Hughton deserves a chance to turn this around.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

Warren Aspinall has said scores of times we have failed to go after top up and coming Championship players

Chris has limited players to work with but we need to change the system

He was one of the few stating in January we should have tried to get another striker on board. Maybe we did but didn't have any success, but our lack of goals is killing us.
32 goals in 32 games and 1 win per month to date. Granted he can only work with what he's got but he must be involved partly in the recruitment process and somehow he's got to change things with the existing group of players in the next few days before it's too late. Hoping for the best but fearing the worst.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
As I said to a mate after, Bloom didn’t sack Hyppia, he walked, no way he’s sacking Hughton whatever happens.

And we should be eternally grateful to Hypia for being an honourable man and doing the right thing. It saved us.

Over to you Chris. You will always be a legend at our club and we are all grateful for what you have achieved. So thank you. But it's time for you to go.

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
All hinges on Cardiff game for me. Another pathetic performance and defeat like today and I honestly would not object to him losing his job before the end of the season, despite what he has done for the club. Would leave us relying on Cardiff not winning another match this season which is a dangerous position we cannot afford to be in. Even if we grind out a win which would likely see us safe this season I'm not convinced he is the man to progress the football club beyond what we saw in the first season, which was fine as we were solid if unspectacular but strong at home and could get a job done, the squad had fight/resilience and played in a regular, if rigid system that players understood and played to their individual strengths. Appreciate we've had injuries and suspensions etc, leaving Hughton limited at times but a lot of what defined us last season seems to have evaporated

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here