Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Does anyone else miss the days when we were crap?

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Like today?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
We lived it today. It was ****ing awful.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I miss the days when we weren't.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I don’t miss the days when we were crap. Why? Cos they are back [emoji3]

Seriously, I want to go back to last season please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I thought this thread might jinx us when I saw it yesterday...wasnt expecting 0-5 though!! Blimey, we really have been crap this season, and more than crap now at the crucial end of it :(

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I miss the genuine fans. When at the Withdean you met up with say some Hartlepool fans in the bar for a beer and you knew they were so genuine and passionate about their club. They hadn't come all the way down for the delights of the Withdean. As much as we need the money there are too many 'plastic fans' now who are only following us as we're now in the Prem and in a swanky new stadium.

When I drove up to Gillingham for every home game for 2 years virtually none of the people I see around me now were ever there. I know it's the nature of the football fan but there was something satisfying in the poorer times driving to places like Grimsby or Stockport and seeing 200 or 300 other die hards who were there to really get behind the team. You can't help but feel that if we did a Sunderland and dropped a couple of divisions today that 10000 or 15000 so called fans would suddenly disappear.

I'm enjoying the good times but will and have done, supported the club whatever division we are in, and to answer the question, yes, I do slighlty miss the old ramshackle stadiums we used to visit and when we were really considered crap. There was almost something heroic supporting a club like Brighton when we were practically on our knees and everything seemed to be going against us. Many of the lower league grounds had more character than the modern corporate stadiums we see today and the fans I thought were more passionate back then. Happy wherever we are though.

Well said. Yes there was something heroic about going to places like Hartlepool and Hull on a Tuesday night and of course you could just go at the last minute and not worry if you had enough loyalty points to get a ticket.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I think the responses on this thread today have rather illustrated that there are an awful lot of rose-tinted spectacles going on with pining for us to be crap again. People remember the camaraderie and the honesty of it, and the feeling of euphoria when the team do pull off a big win nobody sees coming. But in reality the slog of being a shit team is awful, relentlessly turning up to watch dross (and not even dross of a semi-decent quality like it is now), week after week of lugging yourself around the place to get beat and then be stuck in roadworks / a signal failure on the trains at 23.00 on a wet January night after being humped 3-0 at Shrewsbury or similar. And all the time in terrible stadiums with bugger all facilities.

Be careful what you wish for.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Witdean was shit , Gillingham was too far away but in those days there was not as much corporate shit - it is wahat it is, ubfortunately I think we are are a bit above our level and our Big signings are not quite as good as other clubs - I liked Orient, York and Carlisle away but its not everyodys idea of a good day out UTA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here