Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Did we miss a trick on Saturday?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
We did what I wanted us to do for 30 minutes of the 90 so I’m thankful of small mercies, City were pretty average and it’s a shame we don’t have more self belief going forward .

Yes we missed a trick.

Early in the second half we pressed City high for a period of about 5-10 mins, and we made them look a bit ordinary, their centre halves were hoofing it to nobody and we were able to come straight back at them.

Then I groaned inwardly as I watched us march 10 or often all 11 players back in our half to give City the initiative to run the game again.

You have to be braver than that and if you end up being done 3-0 on the break so be it - no difference to losing 1-0 creating hardly any chances of real note in the last half hour

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've rationalised Saturday as:-

'The Albion are good enough to stop City having a field day.
But not good enough to stop City AND impose themselves on the game'.

Agreed. And, in fairness, it's not a surprise. Aymeric Laporte's interception to take the ball of Murray's toe the key moment.

A great defender and, at £57m, you'd hope for that.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
It was fairly standard fayre from CH, he isn't an 'all your eggs in one basket' type of fella, more a gradual build-up from the back type of manager.

Had Murray got to that second half goal-line ball a tad quicker we'd be singing the praises of our tactics, small margins and all that.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
We competed, not over run, humiliated, destroyed, outclassed, thrashed or anialated. Beaten yes but in the game for the whole ninety minutes and we can forever say "What if " maybe or perhaps. Not 3 nil down after 10 minutes and saying " well what do you expect"
We competed.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Kept my opinion until now so that 1 1/2 days have elapsed since the disappointment of Saturday.

I have watched the full 90 minutes 3 times now, once at the stadium on Saturday, and believe it or not twice yesterday. Having now watched it 3 times, I firmly believe we really missed a fantastic opportunity to turn the screws on City, during the last 25/20 minutes.

OK, they may have been under par, or we may actually have made them under par, who knows.

I would like to think that I do have a good knowledge of football tactics, as those who know me, will know that through the teams I have managed.

So, I got to thinking last night, did the Manager miss a trick with the changes made during the game? And what would I have done it differently.

3 substitutions made:
Murray Substituted for Andone at 66'
Jahanbakhsh Substituted for Izquierdo at 70'
Bissouma Substituted for Locadia at 82'

2 like for like changes in the space of 4 minutes, and the most attacking central midfielder for a forward. So, we went from 4-5-1 to 4-4-2 for 8 minutes.

We're the best changes made at the best times to give us the best chance of getting a goal back? IMHO no.

So here is what I would have done.
Based on how well we played for the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half I would have done the following:

Montoya Substituted for Burn at 60'
The formation would have then changed, from a 4-5-1 to a 3-5-2. I would have put Duffy up front with Murray and played Burn in the centre of a defensive 3, with Dunk on the Right. The reason I would have put Duffy up front is because he would be my next substitution.

After giving the back 3 10 minutes to settle into the new formation I would have done the next change.
Duffy Substituted for Andone at 70'
Now I still have my 3 across the back, and a very quick forward to run beyond Murray, winning headers.

5 minutes later my last throw on the dice.
Stephens Substituted for Locadia at 75'

I would not have taken my most attacking midfielder off at any stage.

I would have changed the formation again to a 3-4-3 with Bissouma at the top of a midfield diamond 4. Now I have Murray down the middle with Andone and Locadia either side. I hear you say what about the wingers getting tired, to reduce their energy, and to use a coined phrase in football, I would now have reverted to hoof ball up to the front 3, meaning the wingers do not see so much of the ball thus doing less work.

Bissouma would now be playing right behind the front 3.

All hind-site I know, but I just thought with 20 left, why didn't we throw the kitchen sink at City. Alright we might of conceded another couple of goals, but at least we would have had a real go. All of our attacking players should of been on the pitch at the same time for me.

I would of told my players as soon Monday/Tuesday what my tactics were, and I might have even used some of the tactics against Chelsea.

All about opinions.

Would you have done anything different?

I can't see Hughton doing anything remotely like that in a million years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here