Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In fairness to AJ, he loses the ball no more than Bissouma who also hasn't really shown us what he's about. Yet the majority of people on here rave about him. Funny ole game.

Bissouma drifts past players like a world class player at times, there’s the difference. A superstar in the making imo, AJ will be a good Premier League player but will not reach the heights I expect of Bissouma, again just imo.

Last edited:

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Bissouma drifts past players like a world class player at times, there’s the difference imo. A superstar in the making imo, AJ will be a good Premier League player but will not reach the heights I expect of Bissouma, again just imo.

Hope you're right on both accounts.

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
Bissouma drifts past players like a world class player at times, there’s the difference. A superstar in the making imo, AJ will be a good Premier League player but will not reach the heights I expect of Bissouma, again just imo.

Spot on

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Ali J is really struggling with the pace and sharpness you need in the PL. With that said, I'm willing to give him until next season to get up to speed. You only have to look at Propper who, for me, was Ok last season, has learned from that experience, and has been well and truely up to PL football this season. I have been so delighted with how Propper has progressed and adapted to English football after his first season, and I'm hoping that Ali J will do the same, given some game time and experience.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Personally I reckon we need to see AJ having a run on the right side before we can pass full judgment? on the left he allways looks like he has to cut inside to deliver a cross? Very good player in the making but not sure covering for Izzy is his best position?

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
Personally I reckon we need to see AJ having a run on the right side before we can pass full judgment? on the left he allways looks like he has to cut inside to deliver a cross? Very good player in the making but not sure covering for Izzy is his best position?

CH only plays wingers on their weaker side
I really can’t think why unless it’s to keep things narrow
when the ball is lost

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I just don't know what people see. There's obviously a player there, support him rather than turning on him. Especially all the time he's played out of position.

I agree he was okay yesterday. Probably his best performance in an Albion shirt (not that it is a very high bar).

So Mbappe would do well if he got sold to Rayo Vallecano (a team fighting relegation in La Liga), got injured, then went to play with France at the Euros, then most importantly came back and got played out of position as a defensive midfielder?

Oh, do behave! We get that you’re here to defend your boy, but to absolve him of all shortcomings because he’s not playing on his preferred side is beyond generous. Your comparison of an out and out striker being asked to play as a defensive midfielder, is frankly pathetic.

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
Ali J is really struggling with the pace and sharpness you need in the PL. With that said, I'm willing to give him until next season to get up to speed. You only have to look at Propper who, for me, was Ok last season, has learned from that experience, and has been well and truely up to PL football this season. I have been so delighted with how Propper has progressed and adapted to English football after his first season, and I'm hoping that Ali J will do the same, given some game time and experience.
You can’t sign players that need time to adjust over a season
I don’t know where all this idea has come from
A good player will slot in,work it out,and look comfortable
after a very short period namely Montoya and Bernado
What is it AJ needs to get used to or adjust to or settle into exactly?
Please tell me but I bet it’s stuff that should be done over a couple
of games if you are a fit premier league player
Of course assuming the player is good enough
We will end up in league 2 signing players who need a season to settle in
Come on folks he’s not up to it look at the stats

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing

Agree- I would cut our losses and sell - really not up to it, no real pace and simply drifts out of games

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
He did OK but I am concerned about his decision making. Twice in the 2nd half Bernado busts a gut to overlap outside him. AJ ignores him and turns inside and loses it immediately, leaving us wide open to a counter with Bernado 3 miles out of position. Not good enough and he needs to learn quickly.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
when the ball is lost

I'm not convinced your right? Izzy plays his natural left side? Knocky plays his natural right side, Solly can play either side?

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
I'm not convinced your right? Izzy plays his natural left side? Knocky plays his natural right side, Solly can play either side?

AK is left footed
JI is right footed so the way I see it is that they will
always come in side onto their stronger foot which is ok
but not if you want them around the back to the bye line

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
when the ball is lost

It’s not just CH, most managers have done this for some time.

The days of the archetypal winger cutting the ball back for a no9 to head in, are far rarer than they were.

Managers preferring the wide player cutting on, or sending in an inswinging cross.

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
It’s not just CH, most managers have done this for some time.

The days of the archetypal winger cutting the ball back for a no9 to head in, are far rarer than they were.

Managers preferring the wide player cutting on, or sending in an inswinging cross.

Yes I agree and it’s a fair point i still believe
the old type wing play is a more effective tactic and
more difficult to defend.....perhaps I’m a bit stuck in the past

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

It depends what experience you have. I'm not saying we should look to sign players with a view to them taking a season to settle, but sometimes you see the best of a player some time after they arrived, that's just how it goes. Some of the very best players in the PL had anonymous first seasons. This doesn't apply to everyone obviously, and it mostly only applies to players who have only played in leagues where the football is slower, you do need to get used to the PL. I think we have seen some class from Ali, what we haven't seen is speed of thought and strength, two things uniquely required in the PL. Even Bissouma, who is a tremendous talent, has on a couple of occassions been caught out by the need to be quick thinking and ultra aware. I would have Propper down as one of our best players today, and I will take an average first season if the pay off is the Propper we have today. I hope we will be able to say the same about Ali too. Time will tell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here