Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Do we know definitively which position he was playing in the Netherlands? It seems to me he’d be better suited playing inside rather than on the wing, he’s quick but not rapid, he can’t really create much on the flanks, whenever he comes narrow he’s wanting to shoot, he was lining one up against City before someone (Pröpper?) took it off his toe.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It depends what experience you have. I'm not saying we should look to sign players with a view to them taking a season to settle, but sometimes you see the best of a player some time after they arrived, that's just how it goes. Some of the very best players in the PL had anonymous first seasons. This doesn't apply to everyone obviously, and it mostly only applies to players who have only played in leagues where the football is slower, you do need to get used to the PL. I think we have seen some class from Ali, what we haven't seen is speed of thought and strength, two things uniquely required in the PL. Even Bissouma, who is a tremendous talent, has on a couple of occassions been caught out by the need to be quick thinking and ultra aware. I would have Propper down as one of our best players today, and I will take an average first season if the pay off is the Propper we have today. I hope we will be able to say the same about Ali too. Time will tell.

Harry Kane.

shit player.PNG

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
It depends what experience you have. I'm not saying we should look to sign players with a view to them taking a season to settle, but sometimes you see the best of a player some time after they arrived, that's just how it goes. Some of the very best players in the PL had anonymous first seasons.

For instance:

Marco Arnautovic : 4 goals in his first season, 1 goal in his second season

Mr Tumble: 0 goals for Utd or Cardiff in his first season, only 4 in his second

Gerard Deulofeu: 3 goals from 25 apps in his first season

Nani: 3 goals in his first season, 1 in his second

Daniel Sturridge: didn't manage more than 4 goals till his 5th season

Erik Lamela: No goals in his first season, 2 in his second

Gareth Bale: Didn't manage more than 3 goals till his 4th season.

Jamie Vardy: 5 goals (less than half of what ulloa got) in his first prem season.

Adam lallana: 3 goals in his first season

Riyad Mahrez: 4 goals in his first season

Xherdan Shaquiri: 3 goals in his first season 4 in his second

Richarlison: only 5 goals last season

Son Heung-Min: only 4 goals in his first season

Yannick Bolasie: No goals in his first season, moved to Everton for £30 million in 2016

Nathan Redmond: 1 goal in his first season

I think the point makes itself

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Apparently did 2 shocking dives during the game Saturday. Due to beer and being away from the pitch didn’t notice them on the day.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Apparently did 2 shocking dives during the game Saturday. Due to beer and being away from the pitch didn’t notice them on the day.

I saw the one that Danilo got booked for. I'm not convinced it was a dive - more that jumping the lunged tackle left him off balance, but he managed two more steps without completely regaining it, before going over.

Difficult calls those - it has always seems odd that people cry 'dive' when a player loses balance taking evasive action to avoid (foul) contact.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
For instance:

Jamie Vardy: 5 goals (less than half of what ulloa got) in his first prem season.

Yannick Bolasie: No goals in his first season, moved to Everton for £30 million in 2016

Yes but what about all the thousands of other players who were an instant success? ???

(kidding. FFS! :lolol:)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For instance:

Ali has had 9 (nine) games now so it's not as if he's new.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Yes I agree and it’s a fair point i still believe
the old type wing play is a more effective tactic and
more difficult to defend.....perhaps I’m a bit stuck in the past

How's it more effective? Inverted wide men are more ineffective offensively for us because of our system and because our wide men play so deep, but the role itself is incredibly effective if used correctly.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I think some of the intention may be for the inverted wingers to come inside and take a defender or two with the full back overlapping and crossing with their stronger foot when less challenged

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Ali J's feet are quite clearly too big.

I'm not a doctor so wouldn't like to comment as to whether that is a legitimate reason for having no pace, touch, or decision making skills.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
For instance:

Not many clubs on that list risked relegation while waiting for a record signing to come good.

Ali J's feet are quite clearly too big.

I'm not a doctor so wouldn't like to comment as to whether that is a legitimate reason for having no pace, touch, or decision making skills.

Long time since NSC gave me a laugh like this :)

teammelli

Jul 25, 2018
Oh, do behave! We get that you’re here to defend your boy, but to absolve him of all shortcomings because he’s not playing on his preferred side is beyond generous. Your comparison of an out and out striker being asked to play as a defensive midfielder, is frankly pathetic.

I think he’s not getting a fair shake from you and others. I know he broke the transfer record for BHA but you guys act like you’re Man City and just spent 50mil on a World Cup Champion. I’m not here to simply defend him.. I thought BHA football and AJ were not a good match from even before he signed because of the lumbering, somewhat messy and cautiously defensive style of football BHA play. I have been watching AJ play in a very similarly-playing Iranian national team, where he really does not shine, and that is why the move to Brighton was so unusual to me.

It’s not a pathetic comparison. A winger needs to play on his dominant side. A winger’s first move MUST be with the confidence of the dominant foot. How are you expecting a right winger to make it down the left flank when he is a right winger? Or cross it in?? It’s like some of you have never played football seriously before!

I’m not even disappointed in you, you don’t get paid to do this, I’m disappointed in the recruiting team and managerial team. It takes a 5 minute YouTube review of his goals last year to see why he is not doing well in a completely different position.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think he’s not getting a fair shake from you and others. I know he broke the transfer record for BHA but you guys act like you’re Man City and just spent 50mil on a World Cup Champion. I’m not here to simply defend him.. I thought BHA football and AJ were not a good match from even before he signed because of the lumbering, somewhat messy and cautiously defensive style of football BHA play. I have been watching AJ play in a very similarly-playing Iranian national team, where he really does not shine, and that is why the move to Brighton was so unusual to me.

It’s not a pathetic comparison. A winger needs to play on his dominant side. A winger’s first move MUST be with the confidence of the dominant foot. How are you expecting a right winger to make it down the left flank when he is a right winger? Or cross it in?? It’s like some of you have never played football seriously before!

I’m not even disappointed in you, you don’t get paid to do this, I’m disappointed in the recruiting team and managerial team. It takes a 5 minute YouTube review of his goals last year to see why he is not doing well in a completely different position.

Blimey you need to lighten up as well.

For all the reasons already ignored by the boo-boys we can add playing out of position.

If Ali is injury free this Summer and backs that up with a full preseason and still isn't showing us his best then and only then might he and the club have a problem.

All the snidey, sarcy digs he's getting at the moment which do and will transfer to the AMEX on Saturday are currently well out of order and can easily be filed under self-fulfilling prophecy.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

Funny you mention Man City as they play inverted wingers as well but they don’t seem to be having any issues starting their moves on the less ‘dominant foot’

YouTube videos from a league that is nowhere near the standard of the premier league is also not an indication he can cut it at this level. The top players shine or show glimpses wherever they play. That’s not to say Ali is not going to work out I hope it does for him and us and there is a top player in there but we have not really seen anything to suggest that so far.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here