Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Formula 1 2019

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ferrari signs off yet another season second best to Mercedes, with a costly internal squabble.

C8FD806E-4A9E-41CC-90B8-A07045CA7619.png

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Very enjoyable.Gutted for Albon,but pleased for Gasly-great to see the so-called GP2 engine in the Red Bulls out-pull the 'big' teams up the hill to the finish line.Next season should be super-competitive,with at least 3 teams capable of poll position.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Very enjoyable.Gutted for Albon,but pleased for Gasly-great to see the so-called GP2 engine in the Red Bulls out-pull the 'big' teams up the hill to the finish line.Next season should be super-competitive,with at least 3 teams capable of poll position.

Yeah - great to see the Honda hold off the Mercedes in that last drag to the finish line.

Also very pleased for Carlos Sainz who is a very likeable driver. After the disappointment of being at the back of the grid after his issue in qualifying to get a podium (eventually) must feel very sweet, and McLaren's first since 2014 too.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Penny for Fernando Alonso's thoughts when it looked like there might be a Honda 1-2-3 a couple of laps from the end.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Penny for Fernando Alonso's thoughts when it looked like there might be a Honda 1-2-3 a couple of laps from the end.

Isn’t he involved in McClaren behind the scenes now?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The penalty for Hamilton was harsh IMO, Albon left the gap then decided to close it mid corner and Lewis pretty much couldn’t avoid hitting him. Strange decision, feels like the stewards punished him because they felt sorry for Albon.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Yeah - great to see the Honda hold off the Mercedes in that last drag to the finish line.

Also very pleased for Carlos Sainz who is a very likeable driver. After the disappointment of being at the back of the grid after his issue in qualifying to get a podium (eventually) must feel very sweet, and McLaren's first since 2014 too.

I like Carlos.Lando was unlucky with the team's tyre choice,but a points finish nonetheless.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The penalty for Hamilton was harsh IMO, Albon left the gap then decided to close it mid corner and Lewis pretty much couldn’t avoid hitting him. Strange decision, feels like the stewards punished him because they felt sorry for Albon.

I agree with you but credit to Lewis for basically handing himself the penalty with his comments. Has Vettel ever had a coming together that he admitted could have been his fault, if so I don’t remember it. He is a bloody loose cannon imo, stupidly aggressive when he is being overtaken by or trying to overtake front runners.

That touch though caused a crazy amount of damage to both Ferraris. It was just a touch although Vettel definitely turned towards Le Clerc to cause it ....imo

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
That touch though caused a crazy amount of damage to both Ferraris. It was just a touch although Vettel definitely turned towards Le Clerc to cause it ....imo

As he does everytime. He tried to push Hamilton off in the drag race from the start up to the first corner. He consistently steers into cars expecting them to move aside or off the circuit. It didn't happen this time.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I like Carlos.Lando was unlucky with the team's tyre choice,but a points finish nonetheless.

I think Norris has had a good season, a solid driver, nothing stupid. It would be interesting to see how quick he'd be in a decent car, and how cometitive he'd be with the petulant/agressive ones at the front to contend with.

Vettel should be gardening prety soon so possibly a seat available there ;-)

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Would like to see Lando in the Mercedes if Hammy goes to Ferrari.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree with you but credit to Lewis for basically handing himself the penalty with his comments.

I wonder whether Lewis would have been as candid or as generous if the Driver's or Constructor's Championships weren't already decided.

The stewards had no choice but to penalise Lewis after his comments but I think it was a racing incident as Damon Hill and others have opined, particularly as Albon went wide, showed Lewis the gap and invited trouble.

As for Vettel he needs to take a long hard look at himself. His teammate is younger, more popular but also a better driver. I wonder if Seb fancies replacing Bottas at Mercedes?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I was surprised by the penalty and by Hamilton's immediate admission of guilt as from multiple replays it looked like Albon left the door wide open and tried too late to close it. Guess it goes to show what us armchair fans know sometimes.
Mercedes strategy was all over the place. First leaving Hamilton out on old tyres when everyone else went on to newer rubber, and then bringing him in with only two racing laps left. Both really bad calls.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I was surprised by the penalty and by Hamilton's immediate admission of guilt as from multiple replays it looked like Albon left the door wide open and tried too late to close it. Guess it goes to show what us armchair fans know sometimes.
Mercedes strategy was all over the place. First leaving Hamilton out on old tyres when everyone else went on to newer rubber, and then bringing him in with only two racing laps left. Both really bad calls.

On replay I think you can see Hamilton locks up his front right tyre and basically starts to understeer which effectively causes the collision. If Hamilton's car had turned without the understeer it may not have been a collision, so probably the reason he put his hand up.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

I suspect if Hamilton came out and said it was left wide open and he went for it it would have been seen as a racing accident. Once he apologised so profusely he led to this.

What a race though, loved it.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
On replay I think you can see Hamilton locks up his front right tyre and basically starts to understeer which effectively causes the collision. If Hamilton's car had turned without the understeer it may not have been a collision, so probably the reason he put his hand up.

yeah looking back it was actually quite similar to the penalty Ricciardo picked up on KMag. He also went for the inside, also locked a wheel and understeered in to him. So at least the stewarding was consistent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here