Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Deleted.

Actually. On reflection, I can’t be arsed to waste my time with this.

Well you'd better stop bringing my name up when I haven't posted on here for months, if you want to get clever you might get a response, why don't you do us all a favour and stick to the restaurant thread and post pictures of a burger and some pickles ..............

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just watching the MEP's debate from Strasbourg, the mood seems to be one of deep exasperation with UK parliament. They really don't seem in any mood to offer a time extension.

One of them asked how May can represent the U.K. in negotiations when she has no power or authority. They have a point.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I propose you and Mrs LLF as King & Queen of the South Saxons IF you give us a referendum on leaving the rest of the UK (and you give Crawley away to Surrey!!)

Nah, I don’t think we should have a King and Queen, an elected Head if state is the way forward.

It’s all about democracy, these days.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I would argue it is not the same question again, in terms of we ACTUALLY have some knowledge now as we certainly didn't before. Surely an educated vote is better than a non-educated vote? For example, I don't remember Northern Ireland's border being a MASSIVE issue AT ALL during the debates/build up to the vote.

Exactly right, it is not the same question. This time you would be voting on an agreement reached between the UK Government and the EU. There is a clear choice, rather than the vague indeterminate notion we voted on before.

The fact is parliament is not able to resolve this issue, there is no majority in the house for may's deal, there is no majority for no-deal, and I very much doubt there is any majority for Labour's proposed Brexit either (although testing it in on last time may not be a bad thing). We are at an impasse that parliament seems to be unable to break, I cannot see how this can resolved without with either a confirmatory vote or a general election that changes the players in the game.

May has totally messed this up, leaving aside the early painting of the red lines, the waste of the last four months has been not only scandalous but irresponsible in that we are left with such a short amount of time to sort this mess out.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Just watching the MEP's debate from Strasbourg, the mood seems to be one of deep exasperation with UK parliament. They really don't seem in any mood to offer a time extension.

Well yeah, it's like 'Darling, I want a divorce, but I've no idea how I'm going to support myself so bear with me .......'

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I voted REMAIN, but there was a majority that voted to leave, you can't then ask the same question again. You can say, OK, we voted to leave and now how do we do that, but you can't say "let's have another go, and see if we get what we want this time".

I cannot respect the result of a referendum that has been proved to be corrupt with VoteLeave breaking the law.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I would argue that actually revoking is technically easier as even the WA requires further legislation (and as such even if it had passed last night an extension was probably inevitable) but I do get your point, in terms of difficult the WA is much easier than No Deal.

As the default position is no deal, if there is no extension, on the 29th March we cease to be signatories of 750 plus international treaties, encompassing free trade, transportation, and even mobile phone roaming.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The reason people vote leave is the same reason people would vote for an afterlife - a belief that things will be better in the afterlife. The fact that there is no such thing as an afterlife is no hindrance to hope. Everyone who believes in an afterlife has a clear idea of what it is, but this clear idea is not the same idea for all believers. However those who don't believe in an afterlife all have the same idea.

I have said repeatedly we will never leave, because we can't. I still believe this. I'm not even worried about it any more.

I like this analogy, one of the better ones out there.

We can leave, of course we can. We can close the border with NI, and do our own thing as best we can.

But of course most people want to both LEAVE and be GREAT Britain with all the wondrous things that being GREAT Britain means.

I will always beleive that people didn't really vote for Britain to leave the EU, but for the EU itself to be disbanded. So much of what was promised to us by the Leave campaign would only be possible if the EU itself didn't exist. Farage would continually talk about the end of the EU project and about how it is failing, because Britain being a successful non-EU nation is only really possible in a world where the EU doesn't exist.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I woke up this morning with the radio interviewing some tw@t saying the we would be alright "cause there lots of rabbits and we can grow vegetables in the garden"

So I decided that the radio will be off and streaming a play list while I work from home, will help my sanity

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sure, but then the EU (rightly) tells us to **** right off with the extension, then we’re back to the same position.

So what then?

Revoke Article 50. We don't need anyone's approval for that.

Then if the government think they can produce a deal, after a general election, produce a deal, get it through Parliament, and then invoke Article 50 again.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Don't we all! I think the MPs might be surprised, if they are despicable enough to try for another referendum, that many people will have seen how desperately the EU has tried to keep us in their clutches and feel even more that it's time to leave now before it really is too late. Many more will be so sickened by the anti-democratic antics of MPs who have tried every which way to foul up the negotiations that even though they voted remain before they will vote leave if asked again, simply because of their respect for democracy.

The poll suggests otherwise.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Starting to get very depressed with this whole shambles. I did vote remain but just want the leaving process sorted as soon as possible.

Having a decent income, savings & investments build up over 40 years, most changes that will result from our leaving will not affect me unduly.

Yes, I will probably have to pay more for the goods imported from Europe with the loss of the single market benefits, but without sounding smug, I can afford it. What's sad to me is it's likely to be the poorest in our communities that are going to get hit the hardest and who I genuinely feel sorry for as if often the case.

Just hoping some sensible compromise can be made so at least we leave on decent terms.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

If the Brexiteer Tory MP's don't want the Brexit deal ask the public for ratification. We've been in this position since July 2018. Europe has had enough of our internal nationalist tantrum...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What is the point in extending Article 50 if the EU have said that's it ?

I'm guessing that the government will keep trying for 'meaningful votes until they get the result.

There's an irony here when it comes to attacking those wanting a second referendum.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Starting to get very depressed with this whole shambles. I did vote remain but just want the leaving process sorted as soon as possible.

Having a decent income, savings & investments build up over 40 years, most changes that will result from our leaving will not affect me unduly.

Yes, I will probably have to pay more for the goods imported from Europe with the loss of the single market benefits, but without sounding smug, I can afford it. What's sad to me is it's likely to be the poorest in our communities that are going to get hit the hardest and who I genuinely feel sorry for as if often the case.

Just hoping some sensible compromise can be made so at least we leave on decent terms.

ditto :(

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

when have “the poorest in our communities” ever been a concern for the Tory party though?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here