Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Home secretary: 'Knife crime can't go on'

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
That is still wrong. I've given you 2 examples of 2 black kids being murdered, and the press didn't bat an eyelid. It might not be so much now, but it definitely was back then. The press had no interest in the Lawrence case until years later when the case was revealed as being racially motivated. Basically the SL coverage of the 90s bares no real reference to the coverage now. You used it as an comparative example but it just isn't.

So, on that basis, are you telling me black and ethnics get less tabloid space than whites?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Couple of comments from me:

I was stabbed at Longhill school during afternoon play in c1974 - only a pen-knife but the x-ray revealed had the blade been 1 inch longer it would have punctured my lung. Perpetrator was not even suspended - she stabbed 3 of us that day.

When I was about 12, I had a sheath-knife - 6-inch blade and a lethal weapon [in the wrong hands] - but I was a boy-scout and most of us had one - never in a million years would I have ever thought of sticking it into a fellow human being. If I got into a fight, [not often], I'd take the knife off my belt so that neither of us got accidentally injured. It was a tool, not a weapon .....

I wholly believe the current knife-crime issue is culture and mindset fueled - change that and the problem will be solved.
How you achieve that change is the difficult bit and sadly I don't have the answer.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So, on that basis, are you telling me black and ethnics get less tabloid space than whites?

No, I'm telling you in plain English that the coverage in 1993 isn't the same as coverage now, and therefore cannot be used as a comparison. You bought up the SL case remember as a direct comparison of coverage. I have told you why it's not relevant.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
No, I'm telling you in plain English that the coverage in 1993 isn't the same as coverage now, and therefore cannot be used as a comparison. You bought up the SL case remember as a direct comparison of coverage. I have told you why it's not relevant.

I didn't bring it up, I agreed with someone else that brought it up.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The police should clampdown on knife carriers by increasing stop & search. The stop & search system should be revised where they aren't frisking for drugs, but can use a metal detector for weapons search only.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Allowing gun sales without licence from supermarkets may reduce knife incidents.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
So you make a comment assuming fatherless figures cause crime, have no way of backing it up and therefore blame me for wanting an argument. Great stuff, well done.

Once again you are being deliberately obtuse, I said nothing of the sort, I merely posed a legitimate question.As far as 'backing it up', there has been plenty of comment for years on the possible effects of fatherless on young males. That does not ,of course, lead on to 'all fatherless males will go off the rails'.As an educated person who doesn't read tabloids, I thought you would understand that!
Anyway, you appear to have your plate full commenting on just about everyone's posts,so please carry on.

Last edited:

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
This needs to stop being a political football and we need to get a grip. I agree with you of course and think we should have Diane Abbot as Home Secretary as she has all the answers - here's an example of an interview on police numbers she gave to LBC prior to the election in 2017:

“Think of a number. Any number. Jeremy Corbyn had thought of a number. He had thought of the number 10,000. That was how many new policemen and women Labour were promising to put on the beat if they won the election. He’d show the Tories he too could be tough on law and order.
Think of a number. Several numbers. The shadow home secretary, Diane Abbott, had thought of several. Unfortunately all of them were the wrong ones as she tried to explain Labour’s policing commitments to Nick Ferrari in an interview on LBC radio.

Ferrari had got things rolling by asking how much 10,000 new officers would cost. Not the trickiest of opening questions as this was precisely the one she had been sent on his show to answer, but still it caught Abbott totally off guard.

“Well ... erm ...” she dithered. Why was this man asking her about policemen? Still, it would be rude not to say anything. But it was tricky. Up till now it hadn’t occurred to her that policemen actually got paid. Like real money. She’d always rather imagined they were all doing voluntary work. “If we recruit the 10,000 police men and women over a four-year period, we believe it’ll be about £300,000.”

“What are you paying them?” asked Ferrari who was just beginning to realise the interview could be comedy gold. Abbott scratched her head. Hadn’t she just told him what the policemen would be getting? £30 per year sounded more than enough to her. If they didn’t like it they could always go and work in a Nike sweatshop in the Philippines for twice as much. Some people didn’t know how lucky they were. But sensing she might have miscalculated a little, she went back to check her maths.

Radio silence.

“They will cost ... they will, it will cost, erm, about ... about £80m,” she said eventually having just done some long division on her 13 fingers.

“How do you get to that figure?”

Longer radio silence

“We get to that figure because we anticipate recruiting 25,000 extra police officers a year at least,” Abbott declared triumphantly. She was sure Corbyn wouldn’t mind her having arbitrarily decided to recruit an extra 15,000 police officers.”

and it continued.....

She's an embarrassment and a racist. Her shadow home secretary role owes everything to her skin colour and the Labour parties commitment to 'diversity and inclusion. Racist? Anyone remember her 'white people like to divide and rule' comment shortly after the Stephen Lawrence murder trial. If a Conservative MP had said that about black people we would never have heard the last of it and they would probably end up getting prosecuted for a 'hate crime'.

Haven't read the whole thread but has anyone actually dared address the fact nearly every victim of knife crime is Asian / African / Afro Car and virtually every perpetrator is also. But no doubt a 'community leader' would attribute this to a 'lack of opportunity and resources' when in reality it's just criminality by ethnic minorities.

No doubt I'll get flamed by the usual Liberals on here for 'daring' to express my opinion and no doubt i will be called a racist (I'm not) I'm merely stating a fact about victims and perpetrators of London knife crime and anyone who can't see it is burying their head in the sand.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Earlier today I was not sure what to make of all this.....

Lots of handwringing in the Standard tonight. White female of blameless repute stabbed in the back for no reason by black boys. Suspicion this is to blood a blade in order to facilitate gang membership access. Could be something else - doesn't really matter. Hits the newsmedia because unlike most of the other stabbings this affects white people.

By and large the stabbings will continue to be black on black and the rest of the population can quietly forget all about the latest incident.

Still not really sure what to make of it all....Faversham is safe enough....for me.....so it seems.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
According to Met police figures for last year in London 73 % of serious Knife crime, ie people who were stabbed and died was commited by Black males mainly under 21. Most of the attacks were black on black but not all and most.but not all was gang related

If they know this in London, why is not more being done to engage with this community and gangs in general to help stop this.

I have friends in london who will actively cross the road if they see what looks like young gang members ridding on bikes coming near them. . They are not racist but they do get scared one of these youths could pull a knife on them on a whim.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Anyway, you appear to have your plate full commenting on just about everyone's posts,so please carry on.

Wrong again.

Just 4 of the current 10 latest.

The Big Board.png

Stay on topic old chap.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Jordan Peterson, the psychologist, says that the data show that the probability of being caught is more important than the potential length of sentence when it comes to deterring crime. I know the conclusion is obvious to most here - more police on the streets and stop and search. It is odd that some people worry more about the risk of this being abused by a small number of officers than the carnage currently occurring on our streets.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Society is f*cked up. On the day when the police call for more money for resources to fight knife crime May shakes the magic money tree to find £1.6 billion to bribe Labour MPs to vote for her deal.

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
Stop and search achieves little. Longer sentencing is too late. More police: you'd need a few walking down every street all day long, which isn't going to happen apart from in a Judge Dredd film.
Society must attempt to get back to stable and supportive home lives. Most people have this in some way or another. But some don't and need the help to get it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Stop and search achieves little. Longer sentencing is too late. More police: you'd need a few walking down every street all day long, which isn't going to happen apart from in a Judge Dredd film.
Society must attempt to get back to stable and supportive home lives. Most people have this in some way or another. But some don't and need the help to get it.

All of this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here