Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Houghton in or out

Shall we get Chantelle in instead of Chris?

• Yes

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • No

Votes: 199 74.3%
  • Fence

Votes: 49 18.3%

• Total voters

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
How on earth can anyone still be quoting luck after 2 seasons (not just one) of woeful away performances? Tonight wasn’t unlucky. It was a certainty!

Hughton has made changes away from home (4-3-3) and it has made some difference IMHO. This hasn't yet translated to wins as yet but we have been creating chances and have looked better going forward since the change. If Murray kept his shot down and hits the target in the second half and/or we have Andone on in the first when Murray's lack of pace is glaring then the whole game looks different. BTW I am not putting down to luck as such, it is more to do with being able to take the next step and start converting chances. At Burnley we let too many chances go begging/saved by Heaton having a world class game and they were clinical.

I disagree that tonight was a certainty. We had more of the game today and the better chances, we just didn't convert. As i said I think we are more likely to get a win and go on a decent run than we are to continue struggling towards relegation. Chris clearly still has the dressing room and the players still believe in what they are doing (and themselves).

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
In.

The classic mistake would be to make a change.

To build for long term success we need stability. That means sticking with the team that have delivered success to date.

In the very long term the club will need to determine a succession plan, and Chris should be involved in that process when the time is right - which is not this season, or next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean I’m going to have to watch this rubbish next season too?

Please god no

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Played pretty well tonight. Sloppy goals to concede - the first particularly - but Leicester couldn’t have complained at all if we’d got a result. Always worrying when you keep thinking you’ve played ok but still lose. However, in this run, bar maybe the Fulham game, it’s pretty easy to feel we either didn’t get the rub of the green (offside goals/dreadful decisions/goalie having a blinder) or played opponents that we wouldn’t expect to beat. Now we’re about to come up against some opponents we would expect to beat and must. We need to be defensively solid, more ruthless and maybe get a bit of that luck turning in our favour. No reason why all 3 shouldn’t happen. If we lose to Huddersfield, I’ll be worried. Right now, I think we’re a decent side. Regardless, looking at Cardiff’s run-in, a fairly meagre points return may be enough to scrape by.
I agree with most of that except the sloppy goals Leicester broke at pace counter attacking it's what they do. We could not match the pace and they finished clinically not sloppy at all and to me emphasises our number one weakness- we play too slowly.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There is only one man who will really feel the effects of relegation and that is Tony Bloom. For us it would be a disappointment only although to some on here it would appear to be just fine.

Happy to leave TB to decide what he wants to do, I won’t be calling for CH’s head even if we do go down, would I rather we had a manager who played football like Eddie Howe? Yes I would but I am happy enough with CH and our away performances have definitley been a step up on last season imo, don’t remember the last one that bored me. Being entertained is my only “must have” at football and this season we have been (imo). Last season we were often dire away from home. :smile:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
We created enough chances to get something out of the game, but it didn't happen for us.

Tony won't turn a disappointment into a full-blown crisis.

It's all about stability at this point in the season.

In.

The best and most accurate post on this entire thread.

Most need to give their head a wobble and I’d definitely suggest none of the out brigade take an IQ test anytime soon.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’d say he’s not getting the best out of some players or improving any of them ?

March, Bissouma, Dunk, Duffy, Propper - improved over the last 18 months, or their shorter PL time with us. (When you think back to their standing at the beginning).

That’s it I think.

Remember I don’t think our squad is special in 2019 PL terms, that we have a bottom 6 squad. Some very positive posters often say we have an amazing squad, the best in our history. I get that angle, but how many would walk into the regular first 11’s of West Ham, Wolves, Palace, Leicester? None, one?

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I wonder if Burnley had this same conversation. They stuck with Dyche after relegation and am sure they are pretty pleased with themselves.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
In for me but I do think we need to have a few more options when we play and most managers do have a 'sell by' date when their vision can't improve what is at the club, I think CH needs this year to complete and next you to start before possibly moving him on.

We do need to look at the recruitment policy though as a number of the players we have bought either seem to not worth the money (Locadia or Ali J) or have had a high % of injuries (Gross, Andone, Izquierdo, Bernardo) .

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
In for me but I do think we need to have a few more options when we play and most managers do have a 'sell by' date when their vision can't improve what is at the club, I think CH needs this year to complete and next you to start before possibly moving him on.

We do need to look at the recruitment policy though as a number of the players we have bought either seem to not worth the money (Locadia or Ali J) or have had a high % of injuries (Andone, Izquierdo) .

Well said. :thumbsup:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Can the same be applied to early leavers? Aren’t they deserters too?

Well living in London - for evening games only - I’m one of those - so maybe we can set a low bar and anyone leaving before 80 minutes can be shot just so I don’t have to commit suicide.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I agree with most of that except the sloppy goals Leicester broke at pace counter attacking it's what they do. We could not match the pace and they finished clinically not sloppy at all and to me emphasises our number one weakness- we play too slowly.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I consider the first goal sloppy in that we lost possession cheaply and had committed ourselves too much. But yes, agreed, Leicester are lightning on the break. I don't really understand how Hughton could get any flak for last night. If we had just a couple of Leicester's attacking players in our team, we'd probably have won comfortably. So there's nothing much wrong with the boss - we just need better players, which will come from staying up - even if it's a struggle for a few seasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here