Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Houghton in or out

Shall we get Chantelle in instead of Chris?

• Yes

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • No

Votes: 199 74.3%
  • Fence

Votes: 49 18.3%

• Total voters

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That’s right keep the manger that takes us down get lucky come back up and play the same dire football that took us down yeh right lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You unfairly failed to mention the amazing football for 2 and half seasons under CH in the Championship. The best I’d seen since Mullery, possibly better. Perhaps he adopts pragmatic football, because our current squad is limited in quite a few ways at PL level.

I’d like to see CH given another season with some far better players, should we stay up.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Bloom stated we will spend 5 seasons simply trying to avoid relegation. Every team who has been promoted to the premier league has been relegated within 2 years 1st time round except Bournemouth and possibly Us & Huddersfield. Building slowly and making improvements year on year is the key to long-term success.

CH is the perfect man to help establish us over the next few years whatever division we are in. He had held strongly to his beliefs in being hard to beat but has tried to change things the last 8-10 weeks which hasn't seen great results just a leaky defence. I'd certainly keep him as he is perfect for the job and we should expect to be in a relegation battle for a number of seasons

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Bloom stated we will spend 5 seasons simply trying to avoid relegation. Every team who has been promoted to the premier league has been relegated within 2 years 1st time round except Bournemouth and possibly Us & Huddersfield. Building slowly and making improvements year on year is the key to long-term success.

CH is the perfect man to help establish us over the next few years whatever division we are in. He had held strongly to his beliefs in being hard to beat but has tried to change things the last 8-10 weeks which hasn't seen great results just a leaky defence. I'd certainly keep him as he is perfect for the job and we should expect to be in a relegation battle for a number of seasons

*edit* scratch that, read it wrong

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
You unfairly failed to mention the amazing football for 2 and half seasons under CH in the Championship. The best I’d seen since Mullery, possibly better. Perhaps he adopts pragmatic football, because our current squad is limited in quite a few ways at PL level.

I’d like to see CH given another season with some far better players, should we stay up.

He has had his chance you said it best was in the championship . Give him a picture on the legends board and get a fresh face in

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
I will say it again mangers have levels just like players and ch is a very good championship manger . If he got sacked no one would ever give him a prem Job .
He’s a legend but time is ticking .

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I'd keep him even if we go down.

If we do he will be the best man to get us back up again.

But if we survive I'd have a strong talk to him in the close season, we need to progress next season, not just survive.

Sadly I disagree, and much as I admire him, he is probably past his sell by date for us at least. The canaries feeling is becoming all too familiar.
The club spent big in the last eighteen months but, injuries apart, he has not taken advantage of his new signings preferring to wait for ( how long ? ) before introducing them to the team and even then for 'minutes'
Maybe he just feels an extraordinary loyalty to his 'tried and tested' players but I don't think that policy is going to cut the mustard. Substitutions have been made too late and often less than effective.
I have been reluctant to post on this sort of thread but, if something positive doesn't happen soon, and with time seriously running out, it will confirm my belief that he (CH) is sleepwalking us back into the Championship.
Now whereas some have suggested that he is the best man to take us back up again, I have to say 'so what' he couldn't keep us up despite the 'huge' bonus we had from surviving our first season in PL. so I will be very surprised if TB keeps him on if we fail to stay up !
I really do hope that I am wrong but I think that, with so few winnable fixtures remaining, we are going to be seriously struggling.

Last edited:

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
That’s right keep the manger that takes us down get lucky come back up and play the same dire football that took us down yeh right lol.

Opposed to sack manager get replacement manager, he struggles fans get on his back too, then sack him get relegated... wish we hadn’t sacked first manager.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Really, really difficult to call at this stage.

- Drop the manager, potentially go into free-fall and be in a worse position that if we had stuck with him (through relegation or not).
- Keep him, agree to watch relatively dull, defensive and lackluster football most weeks with no real scope for progress, and real potential for relegation.

To drop him now would be an absolute 50/50 gamble for the club, whether we survive or not.
As we know, TB is a professional, and would never take those odds on the money at stake.

My proposition; stick with Chris, hope to stay up, if things are looking the same around Xmas time, then it's time to really consider where the club is heading.
If we do go down this year, I'm comfortable having Chris in charge to bring us back up.
In case you haven't noticed: We have been in freefall for a couple of months.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Sadly I disagree, and much as I admire him, he is probably past his sell by date. The canaries feeling is becoming all too familiar.
The club spent big in the last eighteen months but, injuries apart, he has not taken advantage of his new signings preferring to wait for ( how long ? ) before introducing them to the team and even then for 'minutes'
Maybe he just feels an extraordinarly loyalty to his 'tried and tested' players but I don't think that policy is not going to cut the mustard. Substitutions have been made too late and often less than effective.
I have been reluctant to post on this sort of thread but, if something positive doesn't happen soon, it will confirm my belief that he (CH) is sleepwalking us back into the Championship.
Now whereas some have suggested that he is the best man to take us back up again, I have to say 'so what' he couldn't keep us up despite the 'huge' bonus we had from surviving our first season in PL. so I will be very surprised if TB keeps him on if we fail to stay up !
I really do hope that I am wrong but I think that, with so few winnable fixtures remaining we are going to be seriously struggling.

A fair summary.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Sadly I disagree, and much as I admire him, he is probably past his sell by date. The canaries feeling is becoming all too familiar.
Maybe he just feels an extraordinarly loyalty to his 'tried and tested' players but I don't think that policy is not going to cut the mustard. Substitutions have been made too late and often less than effective.
I have been reluctant to post on this sort of thread but, if something positive doesn't happen soon, it will confirm my belief that he (CH) is sleepwalking us back into the Championship.
I really do hope that I am wrong but I think that, with so few winnable fixtures remaining we are going to be seriously struggling.

What players are you talking about?

AJ hasn’t been good enough?
Locadia has been injured?
Andone was suspended?
Izquierdo is back from injury?

Only one was Yves and he came on for Gross..?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I think we're 3 or 4 new and decent players away from being a comfortable mid-table PL side. Sacking CH would be ridiculous. Do the players dislike him? No. Are the players trying? Yes. We're just not quite there yet.

Keep the faith. If we do go down, we'll be back up with CH at the helm - but I think we can scrape this. Then, we need to get busy in the Summer.....

Last edited:

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Not unduly worried if we go down.
Chris Hughton is one of the most experienced managers at getting teams up from the Championship. Getting us, Newcastle and Norwich up of course, in just four Championship managerial roles in his career. (Birmingham being the unlucky ones, losing out to Blackpool in the Play-Off semi-finals. But they did play in the Europa League that season!)
Just could do with a bit more of an expansive mind, clever tactics, and become a Tinker man like Raneri! We have the squad for it now.
Cup Final, go down, just an average season for Brighton and Hove Albion!
So, keep for me

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Sadly I disagree, and much as I admire him, he is probably past his sell by date for us at least. The canaries feeling is becoming all too familiar.
Maybe he just feels an extraordinary loyalty to his 'tried and tested' players but I don't think that policy is going to cut the mustard. Substitutions have been made too late and often less than effective.
I have been reluctant to post on this sort of thread but, if something positive doesn't happen soon, and with time seriously running out, it will confirm my belief that he (CH) is sleepwalking us back into the Championship.
I really do hope that I am wrong but I think that, with so few winnable fixtures remaining, we are going to be seriously struggling.

Sleepwalking to Brexit, sleepwalking to relegation. Really is the new phrase ! What might we be sleepwalking to next ?

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Keep camp for me. If we remove CH now, who would replace him? Unlikely to find someone with an expansive philosophy that could be quickly bedded in. So choose your dour pragmatist. Allardyce? Hughes? Moyes? Pardew? Mourinho? :smokin:

Doubt the football would be better to watch.

Andone and Bissouma must surely start Saturday. Hope we are all breathing easier by Saturday night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here