Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is Saturday our first “Must win” game of the season?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
We have to get back to winning ' ugly ' as we did with the three successive 1-0's earlier in the season. We have to be tighter. We have to cut out the all too regular basic errors. ' Must win ' is not the issue. First priority is ' must not lose ' A Huddersfield win still gives them a tiny glimmer of hope and they will know that.
Of course we all want to win but give me a draw on Saturday and then wins over Cardiff and Saints and that would do me. I also think we will win one of the two home games v Newcastle and Bournemouth. We all know there is buggar all to come away from home and the last day is a write off/ celebration ( choose your viewpoint )
Stay unbeaten in the next 5 home games and we will be fine.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Are you serious?
You are suggesting Cardiff and Southampton home games are not potentially winnable because we didn’t win away to them?
You, along with others need to get a grip.
Huddersfield is a massive game, no doubt about that but we won’t be relegated on Saturday if we lose.

Perhaps you ought to get a grip.

We are th only team in 2019 of the 92 not to have won a game!

That is the fact.

We played against a side we would have expected to beat, Burnley and we were dreadful for long periods of that game.

That is the reality.

Yes of course we all hope we can turn it around as there is no guarantee that this team will bounce us straight back ...very few sides do.

If we lose against town it may well be a blip, but if we go behind early, the atmosphere at the Amex will turn!

There isn't a great difference as you know between needing desperately to win games and easing to visctories, which this season has been practically zero, apart from bizzarely the manu game at home.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hope we win v Huddersfield.

Otherwise, it will look GRIM, and I'll feel GLUM.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
A home draw against the worst PL team in years would almost be laughable.

This is laughable.....

Fulham last 8 games.....lost 1-4...lost 1-2...lost 1-2..lost 1-2...WON 4-2 ( GUESS WHO!!! )...lost 0-2....lost 0-3...lost 1-3.

Leicester last 8 games...lost 1-2..lost 1-2...lost 3-4...drew 1-1...lost 0-1..lost 1-3...lost 1-4...WON 2-1 ( GUESS WHO!!! )

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
he’s merely saying after all the thin, if the PL represents the thick bit we’re all supposed to enjoy as our reward then frankly it ain’t all that. Not exactly an unfair or unshared observation made by many others.

I agree with your comments. All the struggles of this club and we finally made it to 'The Promised Land' of the PL. Fantastic. Or is it? We rarely see our team win. The money is great- means TB gets some of his investment back. If not money back, at least his bank account isn't being drained anymore. People being told to piss off because they don't like the new Corporate, Uncompetitive Albion is bollocks. Apart from meeting up with friends before games this season has been painful.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Handy timing, yet again, with Hudds winning last night - so they'll be buoyed up and have some confidence back.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Hudds and Fulham are in better form than us, 3 in 15 for them, we're 1 in 15. Loosing Saturday, despite what BG said, will put us in the poo. Need ManU to do us a favour too.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I agree with your comments. All the struggles of this club and we finally made it to 'The Promised Land' of the PL. Fantastic. Or is it? We rarely see our team win. The money is great- means TB gets some of his investment back. If not money back, at least his bank account isn't being drained anymore. People being told to piss off because they don't like the new Corporate, Uncompetitive Albion is bollocks. Apart from meeting up with friends before games this season has been painful.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Agree entirely. It's no fun constantly seeing you team lose whether you're there in person or following the game online or on the radio. Expecting to win (and usually doing so) in the Championship was enjoyable. Scraping a few wins in the Premier League is not enjoyable.

Something needs to change if we stay in this league and if we're to be able to compete effectively. Our recruitment for one thing. Last night we started with only ONE player (Montoya) who wasn't here last season. Where were all the expensive new recruits, -Jahanbaksh, Bissouma, Locadia - all on the bench? If they're still not good enough two thirds of the way through the season, then they're expensive duds.

Not good enough.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Is it just me or do others out there feel that we aren't progressing?
I know a club in our position has to work on marginal gains/ small steps etc but this season has felt more bitty, more...' one step forward, two steps back ' Regular, seasoned players underperforming too much. Have some now been found out at this level. Squad added to but serious question marks. Quantity not quality? Wretched away form not addressed. Reliance on one regular ageing striker. Continued adherence to a starting line-up lacking pace.
PL honeymoon period over. Everything has to be analysed now. No one is bullet proof and that includes senior, established players and the management team. We are in a poor run and its not all down to bad luck or run of the ball. It needs a lot of soul searching and hard work to turn it round. One win will kick start confidence.

Jovis

Mar 30, 2012
Agree entirely. It's no fun constantly seeing you team lose whether you're there in person or following the game online or on the radio. Expecting to win (and usually doing so) in the Championship was enjoyable. Scraping a few wins in the Premier League is not enjoyable.

What I find no fun is the frustration of getting nothing from a succession of ok performances (first half Fulham, Watford, Burnley in parts, Leicester in parts) due to starting slowly, individual errors, and not being able to finish routine chances. It would all be easier to understand if we were rubbish, but I really don't think we are.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
What?

Cardiff...we lost to them in Cardiff....Southampton..we were two nil down and scraped a draw...Bournemouth are a far better side than us...Newcastle are on fire at the moment. Man City are the best side in the world ....remind me where the potential games are?

I think we can all agree that home and away games are a very different beast. Everton we were totally dominated at Goodison but we fully deserved to beat them at home. At Watford we were dreadful but in the home game their goalie had to have a blinder to keep it to 0-0

So Cardiff at home, Saints at home, Bournemouth at home, Newcastle at home can't really be compared to how we did away at their places.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This is laughable.....

Fulham last 8 games.....lost 1-4...lost 1-2...lost 1-2..lost 1-2...WON 4-2 ( GUESS WHO!!! )...lost 0-2....lost 0-3...lost 1-3.

Leicester last 8 games...lost 1-2..lost 1-2...lost 3-4...drew 1-1...lost 0-1..lost 1-3...lost 1-4...WON 2-1 ( GUESS WHO!!! )

Fortunately, Huddersfield won last night. All teams need to have someone come along to let them end an appalling winless run, and fortunately last night it was Wolves who performed that function, which is normally our job. Now Huddersfield are no longer desperately looking to end a huge winless run ...... and they're away .....at our place ......and we are looking for a team to help us end our long winless run ............

Huddersfield look quite capable of that, no?

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Squad quality a more pressing need.

Totally agree. Do you trust Hughton on what has been brought in previously judging by where we are this season? A lot of money has been spent but we are very close to the drop zone. If the club wants to bring in fresh faces it will have to shift out players who are not making it at this level otherwise we could end up with financial worries.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Totally agree. Do you trust Hughton on what has been brought in previously judging by where we are this season? A lot of money has been spent but we are very close to the drop zone. If the club wants to bring in fresh faces it will have to shift out players who are not making it at this level otherwise we could end up with financial worries.

Which is why we bought the Romania guy and the Argentinian but it appears they are not up to our division yet so loaned straight back.

As much as I love hughton, he appears to be very myopic in his view of things and will want to bring back previously injured players very quickly and seems to not be able to slot players like bassouma into the team preferring last season's selections even if they are out of form.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I’d trust CH for at least one more PL season. I don’t think we have the amazing mid table squad that others think we do. It’s a bottom 6 squad. I’d love to see CH work with quality first team additions this summer - a proper centre forward (Muzza’s nearing the end), an ACM with pace and creativity, a LB, perhaps elsewhere in midfield too.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
People are placing too much emphasis on teams previous games this season. At this time of year every team near the bottom are fighting and usually above their weight so Huddersfield being bottom bares very little relevance. We just have to get ourselves set up correctly and we can win any of our forthcoming games even against top 6 teams.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
could well be going down , lose Saturday and I'd say its pretty likely we will.

Win and I think it will galvanise us enough to get over the line.

Not statistically a must win but to me and many it effectively is

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I’d trust CH for at least one more PL season. I don’t think we have the amazing mid table squad that others think we do. It’s a bottom 6 squad. I’d love to see CH work with quality first team additions this summer - a proper centre forward (Muzza’s nearing the end), an ACM with pace and creativity, a LB, perhaps elsewhere in midfield too.

we are 100% not a mid table squad. Last window wasn't great with players like Montaya and Locadia . They are very average at best.

We have been chasing strikers so we have numbers for years , this should of been addressed Jan

We are not really good enough

I'd rate our chances of staying up 50/50.........................I prob would of taken that in August .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here