Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Anyone else thinking about mowing the lawn?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
A friend of mine's son-in-law ruined his lawn by applying "Weed & Feed" without reading the instructions. He ran out of the stuff, went and bought some more and put that on too. His lawn looked similar to how you describe yours. It was full of bare patches where he had over-dosed it, which is exactly what happens when dog bitches urinate on grass. Basically, fertilizer is piss!
We forked over the dead patches to the depth of an inch or two, spread grass seed over it and diggled it in with the side of a trowel. Grass seed needs to be worked in to just under the surface of the soil.
Three weeks later, you couldn't tell the lawn was a mess previously.
It may get a little colder in the next few weeks, but sowing grass seed now isn't a bad idea. There is a saying regarding grass seed - "Better in the ground than in the bag."
As Lammie said earlier, just lightly "tip" the grass with your mower. DON'T shave it off. A lot of people think that the more they shave off their lawn, the better. NO! It's what it looks like when you've finished, not how much clippings you can take off.
Then of course, as I've mentioned on here before, if you don't need your lawn for anything special, plant it up! I have just completed a project of this nature for a friend. I'll post pictures of before and after when it starts performing in the summer.

Top man! It'll have to wait till I get home anyway; by which time we'll have a date at Wembley & survival is ensured!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Then of course, as I've mentioned on here before, if you don't need your lawn for anything special, plant it up! I have just completed a project of this nature for a friend. I'll post pictures of before and after when it starts performing in the summer.
So no lawn at all? Are you foreign or something?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Update: I still haven’t done it.

Yesterday my excuse was that I needed to get some petrol for the mower.

Today I got some petrol then realised there was early football on the telly. Lawn remains unmown. Probably for the best, it is only February after all.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Done mine today and been rewarded with a great sense of achievement for actually getting off the sofa to do it.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Done!

It’s not exactly a bowling green!

906bd2b90abf66ca99b5b922e9dfcb4e.jpg

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Done!

It’s not exactly a bowling green!

906bd2b90abf66ca99b5b922e9dfcb4e.jpg
That's a field not a lawn.

Way too damp and early to go anywhere near mine, although it has started growing.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Even in these Northern climes I have had my Robot mower (named 'Patrick' for obvious reasons) out for the last two weeks. He has absolutely clipped the lawn to perfection and it is looking the driest and best it has ever looked mid/end Feb. Some ferrous sulphate to be applied next week and then a Spring feed and weed application mid March should see the lawn be a beautiful green sea of grass by May.

TNBA

TTF

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
North facing rear garden and the bits closest to the house are still too boggy to cut, the front garden is covered in cat shit :annoyed: If it keeps up for the week I should be able to get around to it next weekend if the mower starts, it was in need of a service last year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here