Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Anyone else thinking about mowing the lawn?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
So no lawn at all? Are you foreign or something?

It all depends on the size of your garden, or at least the area that's only grass to be grass. If you've got acres, then no. If you need a lawn for a purpose then no. The area I've just finished is 30 m2. It was only there as the standard default as something's got to go there. It's now planted up with butterfly and bee friendly plants which when established will need little maintenance. Better than getting the mower out each week to provide an area of zero bio-diversity and a lot of hard work, unless of course you like mowing?
In answer to the second part of your post, I'm 12.5% Italian. Does that count?!:)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It all depends on the size of your garden, or at least the area that's only grass to be grass. If you've got acres, then no. If you need a lawn for a purpose then no. The area I've just finished is 30 m2. It was only there as the standard default as something's got to go there. It's now planted up with butterfly and bee friendly plants which when established will need little maintenance. Better than getting the mower out each week to provide an area of zero bio-diversity and a lot of hard work, unless of course you like mowing?
Having a lawn just feels like quite a British thing (I'm aware there are lawns in other countries). 30m2 is reasonably small I guess. We don't need a lawn, I just quite like the look of a nice lawn. Not that we have one, ours is crap.

In answer to the second part of your post, I'm 12.5% Italian. Does that count?!:)
No, not really.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I’ve finally bitten the bullet and feel better for it.
9511f95e289df056a5ca8a3923c30d4c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I’ve finally bitten the bullet and feel better for it.
9511f95e289df056a5ca8a3923c30d4c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like your gazebo has a subsidence issue?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just done mine,sun is shining,loads of daffs on display,it is a joy to be alive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ditto but only the back

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
did mine after work...get depressed to see the mess that has occurred with overgrowing mossy stuff that isnt from my garden but has taken over and causes me many woman hours to clear... sigh..ill worry about that end of next month!

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
If you do just do a Barber cut (take the top off)...check what setting you left the mower on.

Cleaned and serviced my four mowers during the week as its all systems go week Monday

I was told many years ago that whatever the weather dont make the first cut before early April and even later if the lawn is soaked

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I was told many years ago that whatever the weather dont make the first cut before early April and even later if the lawn is soaked
Provided the grass isn't frozen, you can mow at any time of year. When I worked on the Valley Gardens, we always mowed all the grass from St. Peters Church to Old Steine just before we packed up for Christmas so that the town centre looked "Wembleyesque" for the holiday period and New Year.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
It's going to go one of two ways for me, I'm either going to mow it this weekend or dig the lot up.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
It's going to go one of two ways for me, I'm either going to mow it this weekend or dig the lot up.

Dig it up! Plant it up. Get rid of your mower and enjoy the garden. Or, don't mow it until September and see what wild flowers you've got. You can always add more.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Gave ours a light trim this afternoon , before the rains come .

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Dig it up! Plant it up. Get rid of your mower and enjoy the garden. Or, don't mow it until September and see what wild flowers you've got. You can always add more.

Bindweed is what I'll end up with! Horrible stuff so patio with planters is the option the wife wants to go with.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Then of course, as I've mentioned on here before, if you don't need your lawn for anything special, plant it up! I have just completed a project of this nature for a friend. I'll post pictures of before and after when it starts performing in the summer.
I'll post some more as it develops.
The three non-mulched areas are where the plants haven't really grown enough to put mulch around. As soon as I can see them, I'll finish these areas off.

Attachments

• P1.JPG
    P1.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 134
  • NSC planting finished.JPG
    NSC planting finished.JPG
    394.2 KB · Views: 132

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here