Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2019

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The aeronauts look worth checking. Last Christmas is on the list, if only for featuring the greatest ever Xmas song. It has been a poor year, not gone much. As Astra is my favourite even though everyone I know thought is was bang average, loved the Lion King, although most thought it was average and a waste of time and third for me is green book which for me was very anti rasist even though I am told the film in itself is racist. I am more confused than ever

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Doctor Sleep.

Wasn’t mad keen to see this as nothing is ever going to live up to The Shining but I was pleasantly surprised.
Some bits are pure Stephen King stupidity and reminded me of some of the lower budget tv series of his work but on the whole it’s good.
It’s long but rattles among well and provides some good scares along the way. It really comes to life once they get back to The Overlook. Bloody Nora! They’ve done a good job there. The place looks absolutely ****ing brilliant. I was really impressed.

6.5/10

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Now that i remember, i snuck down to the local cinema to watch a surprise film a fortnight ago. Twas Luce. Whilst watching it i knew it would antagonise a friend from work, who is Eritrean and quite proud of it. The film is about young man who was adopted from "war-torn Eritrea" - that made him angry - and raised by 2 super-liberal middle class white folk in America. The guy at work took a look at the lead actor playing Luce and became mildly riled at his head-shape, which was not Eritrean, he says. The film itself was alright. It strongly had the feel of a provocative stage play, and of course it was an adaptation of just that, but never escaped that sort of setting, where dialogue is so loud and clear and rarely subtle and surroundings seem limited and ordinary. Of course that ordinariness is to be at odds as we're mildly swept along by a number of opinions about who Luce is and may dangerously become. It becomes a little world of secrets, as many teen lives are, but suspicion and faith grasp us a little as we're led along with who to believe.
As i said, alright. Raised a number of issues, and film might as well do that sometimes.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Abominable:

My 5 year old loved it. I enjoyed much of it. A decent enough romp with some magical elements. Some heartstring moments about the nature of home and family, and of working through grief.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I went to see Zombieland Double Tap yesterday. It was fine. I've never been a big fan of Emma Stone and I oscillate on Jesse Eisenberg, but at the start of this I felt like either the film or my response to it was weighed down with the weight of all the roles they've done between the first film and this one and it took a while for me to get into it. It was ok, had some good laughs, but felt like 'why did they make this? There's no clamour for it, the story didn't need to be told'

I haven't seen it, but I was put off by an interview with the writers who said they originally intended to make it immediately after the first one, but ended up making the Deadpool films instead. Because of the amount of time that passed in between the new film and the original, they had to write something completely different to what they'd originally intended. I'm sure it's watchable but the interview made me think kind of what you said "it didn't need to be told". It sounded like a film they weren't desperate to make, but knew they could cash in on.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Cinecity Brighton Film Festival started tonight (last night?) with The Lighthouse. It was one of those films where narrative isn't a driving force, so much as art and meaning. The sort of film where something seems to happen just so they can have that shot that looks like a religious painting. I didn't fully understand everything that was going on, Willem Defoe's old sea dog had such an almost parodic accent, it felt somewhat English, then Robert Pattison's seeming New Yoiker accent made you think 'where is this meant to be set?' Probably not for a mainstream audience.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Maybe this isn't for this thread, but I just watched Shawshank, and A Few Good Men, back to back.

Cinema really does not get much better than those. Ridiculously high bar.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
So, The Irishman. The bringing together of legends to bid a collective farewell to their ne'er before seen full union. De Niro, Scorsese and Pacino for 3 and a bit hours, funded by Netflix with their youthening software and wealth to have De Niro in a creepy version of his prime for spells and Scorsese again make a film unnecessarily long. Yes, i found it a bit annoying. You can't ignore the previous parts of a mafia trilogy, so Goodfellas in particular roars with higher quality as you watch this, or it did with me at least. But what grated most was the technology to make the characters young again. It wasn't good for parts of the film, with De Niro not looking like De Niro, and constantly strangely a-glow to paper over the paper hiding the cracks. I couldn't ignore or forget it. It worked well on Joe Pesci, who really did the best acting in this, wonderfully subtle and potent, and not bad on Pacino, whose character, Jimmy Hoffa, was perfect for his usually ridiculous acting. But for De Niro it was more apparent than his acting, which i found a shame. Maybe i'll rewatch it on Netflix in a few weeks and get more from it on a smaller screen, even a phone or tablet.

And then last night i saw the surprise film down t'Picturehouse. Le Mans 66. Very much a film for petrolheads. Which i am not. A lot of the dialogue was of the specifics of speedy car design. This can be used to demonstrate how extremely knowing a character is, particularly in this case Christian Bale's Ken Miles, but a sprinkle of it will do, i find, when you know the main attraction will be the something else, in this case the race(s). Bale may have done extensive research on the character of Ken Miles, methoding it to the max, but it might have been better to adapt him a little to screen, rather than make him a bit too borish. Matt Damon is Shelby, former racing champion and expert salesman/designer, and he is as he always is - generally watchable, and unchallenging. It was an ok film at times, once the racing began and some of the drab characterisations dipped, but not a patch on Rush which is only a few years old, it feels.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Went to see Midway this afternoon, if you like CGI then this is a must for you, as I don't believe there was an actual plane, aircraft carrier or other ships in the film.
No doubt youngsters who aren't aware of Tora! Tora! Tora! or Battle of Midway will enjoy the film, but to me I preferred the films from almost 50 years ago.

5/10 watchable but I probably won't look to see again when it reaches streaming services.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
So, The Irishman. The bringing together of legends to bid a collective farewell to their ne'er before seen full union. De Niro, Scorsese and Pacino for 3 and a bit hours, funded by Netflix with their youthening software and wealth to have De Niro in a creepy version of his prime for spells and Scorsese again make a film unnecessarily long. Yes, i found it a bit annoying. You can't ignore the previous parts of a mafia trilogy, so Goodfellas in particular roars with higher quality as you watch this, or it did with me at least. But what grated most was the technology to make the characters young again. It wasn't good for parts of the film, with De Niro not looking like De Niro, and constantly strangely a-glow to paper over the paper hiding the cracks. I couldn't ignore or forget it. It worked well on Joe Pesci, who really did the best acting in this, wonderfully subtle and potent, and not bad on Pacino, whose character, Jimmy Hoffa, was perfect for his usually ridiculous acting. But for De Niro it was more apparent than his acting, which i found a shame. Maybe i'll rewatch it on Netflix in a few weeks and get more from it on a smaller screen, even a phone or tablet.

And then last night i saw the surprise film down t'Picturehouse. Le Mans 66. Very much a film for petrolheads. Which i am not. A lot of the dialogue was of the specifics of speedy car design. This can be used to demonstrate how extremely knowing a character is, particularly in this case Christian Bale's Ken Miles, but a sprinkle of it will do, i find, when you know the main attraction will be the something else, in this case the race(s). Bale may have done extensive research on the character of Ken Miles, methoding it to the max, but it might have been better to adapt him a little to screen, rather than make him a bit too borish. Matt Damon is Shelby, former racing champion and expert salesman/designer, and he is as he always is - generally watchable, and unchallenging. It was an ok film at times, once the racing began and some of the drab characterisations dipped, but not a patch on Rush which is only a few years old, it feels.

Two things to say on this MB, I will watch the Irishman on Netflix as I won't have to sit through the whole 3 hours in one hit. Three hours is a bit long ! As for Le Mans '66, this has been SO overhyped on adverts on commercial radio I WILL NOT BE WATCHING IT !. I'm not a petrol head by nature but anything that needs plugging every 20 minutes can't be all that in my book, as you say Rush was a really enjoyable film, rather watch that again.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Lush

Mods' Pet
Going to see Knives Out at the Duke of Yorks on Saturday. Official release Nov 27th. This is a Cinecity preview.

It looks like a RIOT.

Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 14.01.36.png

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Going to see Knives Out at the Duke of Yorks on Saturday. Official release Nov 27th. This is a Cinecity preview.

It looks like a RIOT.

It does. I would have gone to that (it's showing as part of the cinecity brighton film festival), but it is also showing as an unlimited preview at cineworld on the 25th November, and I'd already booked for that and didn't want to pay again. Off to see Judy and Punch tonight.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003

It looks like a RIOT.

View attachment 117092

Yeah, seems good. Sold out quickly at the film festival last month but was on at a time clashing with other flicks.
Just in the cinema, hoarse and sickly, for a screening of Wings of Desire. I have a soya latte, that I could just about say to order, a can of sugar free coke, and a fresh packet of lockets to quietly open and suckle through.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thoroughly enjoyed Judy and Punch. It's the tale of a 17th century puppeteer, his wife, their baby, and the village of seaside (several days mule ride from the nearest ocean), that hits most of the notes of a traditional Punch and Judy show (mishap with the baby, sausages, crocodiles, policeman, etc). I can't quite explain why I liked it so much, I just seemed to connect with it, maybe I was in the ideal mood.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This evening's cinecity trip was for The Nightingale, the tale of a 19th century woman trekking through the tasmanian outback to hunt the soldiers responsible for attacking her and her family. Came with a pre-show warning about the racial and sexual violence in the film. Was quite intense, but never felt gratuitous. Not sure 'enjoy' is the right word, but it was a good film.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here