Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Locadia Today

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I've said it before, if Locadia can add more aggression to his game similar to how Barnes plays, he'd be like a new signing.

The problem is, can you train that into someone or is it a natural born ability? Maybe this season will tell us?

It's that goal against Millwall last season which gives me some confidence he has something to offer which simply requires more confidence and influence. He used his strength by holding off the defenders and then hitting the ball sweetly, on the bounce whilst on the turn. He looked like the type of centre forward we're dying out for with that goal. It's just ashame that was one of the few occasions we've see anything from him.

as for today, I still didn't see much aggression from him. He still looks a bit disinterested when it comes to the physical side (tackles etc). I'd definitely pick Florin over him if we're playing 2 up top against Watford.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've said it before, if Locadia can add more aggression to his game similar to how Barnes plays, he'd be like a new signing.

The problem is, can you train that into someone or is it a natural born ability? Maybe this season will tell us?

It's that goal against Millwall last season which gives me some confidence he has something to offer which simply requires more confidence and influence. He used his strength by holding off the defenders and then hitting the ball sweetly, on the bounce whilst on the turn. He looked like the type of centre forward we're dying out for with that goal. It's just ashame that was one of the few occasions we've see anything from him.

as for today, I still didn't see much aggression from him. He still looks a bit disinterested when it comes to the physical side (tackles etc). I'd definitely pick Florin over him if we're playing 2 up top against Watford.

Aggression and tackling is not necessarily the answer. In fact I think these are both quite dated commodities. Closing down and forcing errors is the way forward.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The one thing he has going is he hasnt missed chance after chance, he seems to be able to finish. Attitude and all round movement though ?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Aggression and tackling is not necessarily the answer. In fact I think these are both quite dated commodities. Closing down and forcing errors is the way forward.

agreed, but when the ball is in the air, I want to see Locadia fighting for it. I want to se him giving the defenders a battle, being a pain in the arse fr the defenders.. Suare does it at Barcelona, Barnes does it, Bellamy was good at it, Rooney was legendary for it and hopefully Locadia will be loved for it soon...

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Shedding a stone has helped
Played well -really well in preseason
And having a proverbial managerial cuddle will do wonders for his confidence

Player of the season I bet.

Good luck big jurg.

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
I like big Jurg and have since he arrived just think he needs to play in his best position we saw glimpses last season but were few and far between...has eye for goal and good strength and can see him getting plenty of chances and goals this season with Potter ball
IMO there is a good player there. He is a player who needs to be playing on the front foot and half turn. CH tactics were the complete opposite. Hold the ball up play the way your facing. Times when he took a touch and moved us up the pitch he looked a good player. Trying to hold the ball and play simple passes back looked Ineffective. Hopefully GP will get us playing front foot football at pace.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
In the fleeting moments that were afforded Locadia last season you could tell there was something good about his game that wasn't being teased from him under Chris H.

I admit, he did come across in some games last season as disinterested, he would put in a poor workrate and his attempts at tackling were woeful, but there was a niggling doubt in my mind that he wasn't being utilised correctly. Now under Potter I believe we will see a new side to Jurgs, let's bleeding hope so as it's been a while since we saw a striker as good as Muzza.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He’s clearly perfected the ‘turn and shoot’ move - at least against lower quality opponents - goals today and vs Millwall are not those of someone who ‘isn’t even a footballer’. . The lad can definitely finish.......high double figures for the season I reckon. He also looks like he’s got a new lease of life under Potter.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
People DO NOT like being proved wrong when they have consistently slagged a player off

Lets face it , he wasn't very good last year , looked about 5 kg over weight and jogged around like a poser a lot of the time ........clearly the tactics stymied a few of the players, hopefully we get to see a more attacking style this season ........what sort of results that brings remains to be seen but anything but relying on palace to keep us up has got to be an improvement.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I assume "he's lost a lot of weight" is code for 'I really slagged him off last season, now it might, just might, not have been all his fault and I need a get out clause' :lol:

Obviously there's a long way to go and performances v Fulham & Birmingham aren't going to tell us much, if anything.
But the one take away I (I guess most of us) have has been his starting position, the very deepest he came back yesterday was still in touching distance of the halfway line.

That has to be a good thing?

I guess he'll get pushed back by better teams, which is all we have from now on.
But if the onus on him is to be facing the opposition all game, Shirley that has to be a good omen.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I assume "he's lost a lot of weight" is code for 'I really slagged him off last season, now it might, just might, not have been all his fault and I need a get out clause' :lol:

Obviously there's a long way to go and performances v Fulham & Birmingham aren't going to tell us much, if anything.
But the one take away I (I guess most of us) have has been his starting position, the very deepest he came back yesterday was still in touching distance of the halfway line.

I guess he'll get pushed back by better teams, which is all we have from now on.
But if the onus on him is to be facing the opposition all game, Shirley that has to be a good omen.

To be fair, he does look as though he's lost a bit of weight since last season. Looked much sharper towards the end of the game yesterday, but whether that is down to the license he has been given by Potter in terms of staying forward more, we'll have to wait and see.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To be fair, he does look as though he's lost a bit of weight since last season. .

That's hard for me to say as I wasn't studying his weight 3 months ago, I certainly didn't know his weight 3 months ago.
I'd not seen him for the subsequent 3 months and I've not studied his weight since, let alone weighed him myself.

Every August I firmly believe Solly has grown about a foot since the end of the previous season.

I'll hazard a guess that's not actually the case.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Things didn't start well for Locadia -he was, after all, the first of our big signings with "needs a season/half a season to settle" syndrome. Gros and Propper were chucked straight in at the deep end in the PL, no pussy-footing around. Knocky, Murray, Duffy - straight into the first team - before that ditto CMS and Stephens. We weren't used to having to wait for big money signings to find their way to the first team. When he did occasionally play, he didn't impress.
The there was that f*ckwittery on the internet - facebook or twitter or whatever it was.
Eventually though, he showed that he did have goals in him - given chances he'd convert some of them. I always felt that if we improved midfield (as we have with Trossard) he would score more goals if given the chances, and so it is beginning to appear. I think midfield still needs strengthening, but the fact that Locadia can score goals (along with Murray and Andone) means we can concentrate our recruitment efforts there, not for strikers.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I assume "he's lost a lot of weight" is code for 'I really slagged him off last season, now it might, just might, not have been all his fault and I need a get out clause' [emoji38]

He has been bloody awful when given opportunities previously regardless of weight. I lost all faith in him away at Southampton in the first (part) season with us. Chance to run through on goal, he looked absolutely panicked and fell over the ball. That followed a number of anonymous performances.

He wasnt used in the best way but still struggled to show much in the way of promise.

He's looking sharper and the system and fluidity may be a big part of that. I'm hopeful from what I've seen and he owes us big time.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I’ve slagged locadia off but I’ve changed my mind . I reckon he will do ok this year

This system suits him and there is a player in there

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He has been bloody awful when given opportunities previously regardless of weight. I lost all faith in him away at Southampton in the first (part) season with us. Chance to run through on goal, he looked absolutely panicked and fell over the ball. That followed a number of anonymous performances.

He wasnt used in the best way but still struggled to show much in the way of promise.

He's looking sharper and the system and fluidity may be a big part of that. I'm hopeful from what I've seen and he owes us big time.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I'm sure there was one game last season where he very gracious allowed everyone to be right.

The first half he was seriously impressive almost, but not quite, dominating the game.
He then trotted out for the second and completely disappeared.

It's difficult to see him as the finished article earning his dream move to Utd, but I've always found it easier than many on here to see what he could do.

Kicking the ball really hard and accurately when in penalty area might not make him a complete footballer, but is easier to exploit when not playing as an auxiliary left back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here