Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Alex Scott

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
So, you want women off the sports you do watch, and commentating on stuff you don't watch meaning you never have to see or listen to them, and you think that's not sexist?

Are you talking for me or asking me? I'm not quite sure where you're coming from. I'd rather have three ex pro's that have played mens football commenting on mens football. If they have women's football on tv I am all for all women presenting and commenting on it as they know it better than men. What's your point?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Are you talking for me or asking me? I'm not quite sure where you're coming from. I'd rather have three ex pro's that have played mens football commenting on mens football. If they have women's football on tv I am all for all women presenting and commenting on it as they know it better than men. What's your point?

**** all to do with gender for me, it’s about ability (or should be). I don’t get why anyone would think someone has to be the same gender to act as a pundit on a sport. Record, presentability, insight, experience, chemistry with other pundits etc all factors to consider but not whether they have something dangling between their legs or not. She’s not the best by any stretch (and is getting more work than her talent deserves perhaps), but I’d rather listen to her than, for starters, Owen and McManaman and their droning, biased, insightless tosh.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
**** all to do with gender for me, it’s about ability (or should be). I don’t get why anyone would think someone has to be the same gender to act as a pundit on a sport. Record, presentability, insight, experience, chemistry with other pundits etc all factors to consider but not whether they have something dangling between their legs or not. She’s not the best by any stretch (and is getting more work than her talent deserves perhaps), but I’d rather listen to her than, for starters, Owen and McManaman and their droning, biased, insightless tosh.

Fine, that's your view and I have mine. And yes, plenty of male pundits are shite but there are plenty to pick from before resorting to non experienced types. But don't have a go at me for having a non sexist, racist, misogynist view because I believe people that have been there know more about it than those that haven't.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If .I don’t like what I am seeing or hearing I either turn the sound off or hit the off button. I am not a fan of hers but the same can be said for one of my favourite players in Jamie Callagher - an absolutely useless waste of a pundit.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Fine, that's your view and I have mine. And yes, plenty of male pundits are shite but there are plenty to pick from before resorting to non experienced types. But don't have a go at me for having a non sexist, racist, misogynist view because I believe people that have been there know more about it than those that haven't.

it's not just experience tho' is it, communicaton skills, among many other attributes comes in to it

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
it's not just experience tho' is it, communicaton skills, among many other attributes comes in to it

Excellent, so if I have good communication skills but know absolutely f**k all about the Prem I can be a pundit?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't disagree, however I am allowed to call a woman out too, without being called a sexist, blah, blah, blah.

But you're not calling a woman out. You're saying women, as a gender, have no place in a tv programme you watch and should be restricted to ones you don't watch. Not based on their ability to do a job, which as others have explained require more than just having experience in that specific competition. We've seen example of successful managers who haven't actually played the game, one of them is working as a pundit today. Not having played the game didn't stop him knowing plenty about the game. Alex Scott is a retired professional footballer. Yeah, in the women's game, but they don't play to different rules. She knows football, and is a competent pundit, but you don't want her there because she's a woman. You're not even pretending to be concerned with her specific talents and experience and what she brings to it. She's a woman, she shouldn't be there.

You don't want men commenting on women's sport either? Great, you're consistent. But that doesn't stop it being sexist.

And look, you're not being arrested for it. You're not being kicked off the board. You're absolutely free to have and express the opinion.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
But you're not calling a woman out. You're saying women, as a gender, have no place in a tv programme you watch and should be restricted to ones you don't watch.

You're as big a troll as El Presidente. I can't be bothered with your bullshit.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Why would I be angry? I am merely calling you people out that feel it isn't right to criticise someone purely down to their gender. You are allowed to, it isn't rude, nasty, insensitive or sexist. It is a view. It is a view we are still allowed to air, it may be outlawed soon, but right now it is just trolls calling out people with views and hoping to click bait, El Presidente only managed to find two of you, but game won, better than none at all. I dislike women pundits in mens football and if that causes people to hang a rope around their necks, so be it. I stand with my views.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Not a fan of Alex Scott but only as she is essentially another Jamie Redknapp.

That said all the time people like Chris Sutton, Garth Crooks and Paul Merson are getting paid for opinions she would be the last one I liked be singling out for criticism. I would start with BT cutting to Jeff Brazier at a game yesterday for match updates.....

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why would I be angry? I am merely calling you people out that feel it isn't right to criticise someone purely down to their gender. You are allowed to, it isn't rude, nasty, insensitive or sexist.

Erm, criticising someone purely on their gender is pretty much a core characteristic of sexism.

But of course, political correctness hasn't gone mad, you can say these things. But just as you can say them, we can criticise you for saying them.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Erm, criticising someone purely on their gender is pretty much a core characteristic of sexism.

But of course, political correctness hasn't gone mad, you can say these things. But just as you can say them, we can criticise you for saying them.

I refer you to my previous answer to you. You are click bait.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here