Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Percy Tau - SIGNED on a 4 year deal - The Lion Returns. RRROOOAAAARRRRR

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Didn’t he do precisely that vs Man U for the Groß ‘goal line tech’ headed goal ?
And I'm sure there were times he did it that didn't result in a goal. I'm surprised someone can be so confident that he never ever went to the line and cut it back. I'd be happy to bet money he did.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Hmmmm looks more like 15 all to me.
Going to the by-line was very much an after thought.

That pace, in this new team/formation, could be something very special.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It would be terrific if you're right. The other nagging doubt I have I the predictability thing. So Shearer was talking about Connolly's second goal on Saturday by saying Alderwiereld had no idea which way to defend Connolly as he'd already beaten him on the outside and this time he beat him on the inside. I've never once seen Izquierdo show that he wants to use his pace to get to the by line. Now this could of course be coaching and instruction at the time, but I don't think that what I saw before would get him into this team. One thing I firmly believe is that Jose, along with all the others will get a fair chance to show they can adapt their game to how we're playing at the moment.

He's done it alright, but only for a small percentage of times I've seen him play. It just so happens that when he did do it, it coincided with his best form for us, for the very reason you're suggesting re sowing doubt in defenders' minds.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
1 min in

https://youtu.be/I3cxf34U6Zs

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

I'm a huge fan of Izquierdo. But surely this is an example of not that good decision making for a final ball. He tries to pass infield and hits it straight at the defenders leg. Clearly there's no intention to get to the byline. That's just where the ball bounces. Thankfully he reacts well and gets it across the box.

I'm standing by the point I was making ... along the lines of .... he's a good player, but we've got better attacking players now than we did then. If he's going to get past them he'll have to show more variety and control in his attacking play

He missed RSA's friendly today. We need South Africans to come on here and keep us informed!

Screenshot_20191013-191115.png

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I'm a huge fan of Izquierdo. But surely this is an example of not that good decision making for a final ball. He tries to pass infield and hits it straight at the defenders leg. Clearly there's no intention to get to the byline. That's just where the ball bounces. Thankfully he reacts well and gets it across the box.

I'm standing by the point I was making ... along the lines of .... he's a good player, but we've got better attacking players now than we did then. If he's going to get past them he'll have to show more variety and control in his attacking play

True, there are times when explosive pace can make the difference, it will be nice when Potter has that option when needed.

Like for like only produces similar outcomes, variety keeps the opposition guessing.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
True, there are times when explosive pace can make the difference, it will be nice when Potter has that option when needed.

Like for like only produces similar outcomes, variety keeps the opposition guessing.

I'm not sure his explosive pace will still be there after 3 (I think) operations on his knee. My own view is that, sadly, we won't see much more of Jose in an Albion shirt, which is a huge shame because at times he was one of the most exciting players I've seen play. He's like a much better version of KLL.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'm not sure his explosive pace will still be there after 3 (I think) operations on his knee. My own view is that, sadly, we won't see much more of Jose in an Albion shirt, which is a huge shame because at times he was one of the most exciting players I've seen play. He's like a much better version of KLL.

Yes, it’s a serious risk

KLL, CMS (and I’m sure lots of other people with three initial names) didn’t have anywhere near the acceleration or ability to turn sharply after their serious knee ops, and looked half the players for it.

If you’re under about 21, you can often come back from a ACL or similar seriousness knee problem with the same power.
If you’re over 21 you can still have just as good a career if your game isn’t based on explosive power, eg a centre back or midfielder

If you’re mid 20s+ and your game is based on sprints, it’s very rare to be back at the same level. In fact I can’t think of an example of where this has happened.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yes, it’s a serious risk

KLL, CMS (and I’m sure lots of other people with three initial names) didn’t have anywhere near the acceleration or ability to turn sharply after their serious knee ops, and looked half the players for it.

If you’re under about 21, you can often come back from a ACL or similar seriousness knee problem with the same power.
If you’re over 21 you can still have just as good a career if your game isn’t based on explosive power, eg a centre back or midfielder

If you’re mid 20s+ and your game is based on sprints, it’s very rare to be back at the same level. In fact I can’t think of an example of where this has happened.

It's not just ACL is it? All players who rely to a large degree on pace struggle to come back from a range of injuries. Will Buckley and hamstrings is a good example. Never the same again.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It's not just ACL is it? All players who rely to a large degree on pace struggle to come back from a range of injuries. Will Buckley and hamstrings is a good example. Never the same again.

Yep. Hopefully Izquierdo will either get back to where he was physically and prove me totally wrong or he’ll be able to successfully reinvent himself.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yes, it’s a serious risk

March was about 21(?) when he ruptured his ACL. His pace isn't lightning, but he's pretty rapid, and certainly has a 'power' about his game -- many used to claim that he was to weak, but it's telling that you don't hear that any more

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Jose's injury is only cartilage damage, not muscular or ligament. This means his chance of a full recovery, back to 100% of pre injury level is very high.

I have undergone articular cartilage repair and resurfacing of my knee, which I presume is what he has had, and I was told not to bend my knee past 90 degrees for at least a year to allow the resurfacing material to fully bond to the bone.

I would imagine Jose's recovery will be quicker than mine, him having the clubs sports science team assessing him daily.

But despite the length of his absence, he should make a full recovery.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Jose's injury is only cartilage damage, not muscular or ligament. This means his chance of a full recovery, back to 100% of pre injury level is very high.

I have undergone articular cartilage repair and resurfacing of my knee, which I presume is what he has had, and I was told not to bend my knee past 90 degrees for at least a year to allow the resurfacing material to fully bond to the bone.

I would imagine Jose's recovery will be quicker than mine, him having the clubs sports science team assessing him daily.

But despite the length of his absence, he should make a full recovery.

Excellent that he has a high chance of a full recovery and you're right that it's important to recognise that there are different types of knee injuries

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
March was about 21(?) when he ruptured his ACL. His pace isn't lightning, but he's pretty rapid, and certainly has a 'power' about his game -- many used to claim that he was to weak, but it's telling that you don't hear that any more

Solly is a good example of someone who was young enough at the time to make a full recovery.

He's more of a twister and tuner than a hit the afterburners type, but if it happened again to him now I still doubt he'd ever recover properly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here