Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Union Saint-Gilloise

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Undav has 6 goals and 3 assists in 8 games. Just turned 25 so probably just within our age range. There’s also Dante Vanzeir with 5 goals, 3 assists (including a hattrick v St.Liege) who is 23.

I suppose the question is are they good enough for us to sign when you consider it would derail USG and wind-up a lot of their fans who will (quite rightly) see it as Bloom using them to beef up the club he actually cares about. Is the gamble on a player who was in the Belgian second division last year worth derailing USG from getting Europe - which would make work permits a doddle for pretty much any player we wanted

For me, the interesting one would be if we’d look at their manager if/when Potter leaves. They play a similar formation and brand of football

I think Tony would favour Brighton every time. If Potter/Ashworth/he thinks a USG player will strengthen Brighton, then the transfer to Brighton will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
USG 7-0 up going into injury time , in their Belgium cup match tonight . 2nd in the league as well. All going extremely well over there .

Jul 7, 2003
Mitoma scored the second according to Brian Owen

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Undav has 6 goals and 3 assists in 8 games. Just turned 25 so probably just within our age range. There’s also Dante Vanzeir with 5 goals, 3 assists (including a hattrick v St.Liege) who is 23.

I suppose the question is are they good enough for us to sign when you consider it would derail USG and wind-up a lot of their fans who will (quite rightly) see it as Bloom using them to beef up the club he actually cares about. Is the gamble on a player who was in the Belgian second division last year worth derailing USG from getting Europe - which would make work permits a doddle for pretty much any player we wanted

For me, the interesting one would be if we’d look at their manager if/when Potter leaves. They play a similar formation and brand of football
Good that we have the connection with them so that we can send them suitable loanees. I'm pretty sure tha if we want their best players - a big 'if' that is too - we'd have to pay the market price, same as anybody else - even if they wanted to sell.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Good that we have the connection with them so that we can send them suitable loanees. I'm pretty sure tha if we want their best players - a big 'if' that is too - we'd have to pay the market price, same as anybody else - even if they wanted to sell.
I think it’s a bit more than a connection with TB being the majority share holder or owner of USG.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
What am I missing TB owns the two clubs, effectively he would be transferring money from one of his businesses to another :shrug:

This is what confuses me. Whilst Bloom delegates the day-to-day running of both clubs to other people, who is it that has the ultimate say in whether or not an asset can be sold at any club, and to whom? It's the majority owner, isn't it? It was Bloom that would've ultimately accepted the selling price for Ben White (albeit with plenty of input, no doubt), and he also stated himself that we wouldn't sell him to Leeds as he considered them a direct rival in terms of league positions.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
This is what confuses me. Whilst Bloom delegates the day-to-day running of both clubs to other people, who is it that has the ultimate say in whether or not an asset can be sold at any club, and to whom? It's the majority owner, isn't it? It was Bloom that would've ultimately accepted the selling price for Ben White (albeit with plenty of input, no doubt), and he also stated himself that we wouldn't sell him to Leeds as he considered them a direct rival in terms of league positions.

Yeh, I don't see how this is any different to the situation at Watford, where the Pozzo's just passed players around Granada and Udinese etc depending on need

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Obviously most of the things GP, TB, PB and the manager of USG have said on the subject.

Hard though for TB to come out and publicly say that USG are a feeder club and we're just going to use them for our benefit

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
That’s how I see it also Arsenal said Bloom was difficult to deal with so obviously he has the last say.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Hard though for TB to come out and publicly say that USG are a feeder club and we're just going to use them for our benefit

Yeah especially as Royal Union Saint Gilloise are currently sitting second and challenging for a Champions League place...

be careful what you wish for, we could turn into a feeder club for them if they succeed.....

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yeah especially as Royal Union Saint Gilloise are currently sitting second and challenging for a Champions League place...

be careful what you wish for, we could turn into a feeder club for them if they succeed.....

Disregarding the fact that he owner is a fan, all the while that Brighton are turning over 150m per season in the Premier League, they're not going to be a feeder club to a Belgium club side. Even a lucrative run to the Champions League group stages wouldn't come close to matching the 100m+ TV money a club gets just for competing in the Premier League.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here