Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Union Saint-Gilloise

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
He's not wrong though. Not very popular when foreign owners with massive resources buy a club in the league, and generally for good reasons I think.

The USG squad cost pennies - in terms of both transfer fees and wages - in comparison to those of Belgium’s traditional big clubs. I suppose you could argue that the intangible value of Brighton’s scouting structure and data is significant, but it’s far more organic that the likes of City simply buying the established best players in the world to win the Premier League and paying the squad an annual wage which is similar to Brighton’s cumulative wages for our entire 5 seasons in the Premier League.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The USG squad cost pennies - in terms of both transfer fees and wages - in comparison to those of Belgium’s traditional big clubs. I suppose you could argue that the intangible value of Brighton’s scouting structure and data is significant, but it’s far more organic that the likes of City simply buying the established best players in the world to win the Premier League and paying the squad an annual wage which is similar to Brighton’s cumulative wages for our entire 5 seasons in the Premier League.

Except that USG were choosing to leave Kozlowski on the bench, a player for whom Brighton paid £8million - a sum that had USG paid it would have made him the 4th most expensive incoming signing in Belgian football history.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'd be interested to see the accounts of USG vs the rest of the league.

Yes it would be interesting.

On the one hand he has a point. On the other hand, Belgium domestic football has bigger problems than this which is why they're desperate to form a Benelux league, something the Dutch are in no hurry to form despite not being much bigger.

It does have a lot of problems yes but I think it has started to move away from being the crime haven it was and that could help bring some stability to the league.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Thanks for that.

What an achievement by Bloom and his team in Belgium.

More young loans going out to experience Champions league next season, what a thing to be able to offer new young players.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Thanks for that.

What an achievement by Bloom and his team in Belgium.

More young loans going out to experience Champions league next season, what a thing to be able to offer new young players.

It's not going to be an easy task for USG to qualify for the group stages of the Champions League.

They enter at the 3rd qualifying round and will be an unseeded team in the League Path part of the draw so there is a good change they will end up playing one of Rangers, Benfica or PSV at that stage. If they win that then there is a play off round for a place in the group stage. Lose in either round and they will enter the Europa League at the group stage, which is still a big achievement for them and will give any players we loan them some experience of Zagreb on a Thursday night (which i imagine is better than Stoke on a Tuesday night).

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It's not going to be an easy task for USG to qualify for the group stages of the Champions League.

They enter at the 3rd qualifying round and will be an unseeded team in the League Path part of the draw so there is a good change they will end up playing one of Rangers, Benfica or PSV at that stage. If they win that then there is a play off round for a place in the group stage. Lose in either round and they will enter the Europa League at the group stage, which is still a big achievement for them and will give any players we loan them some experience of Zagreb on a Thursday night (which i imagine is better than Stoke on a Tuesday night).

I imagine it is

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
I’ll enjoy following that journey in the summer. Real drama and celebration if the qualify for the group stages! I wonder which of our players they’ll have next season?

They will need to replace Undav and I think it would be sensible planning for both parties if Sima goes there for a season.

One of the best things about USG getting European football for us is that it’ll be easier in 12 months time if we need to get work permits for players that might not usually qualify. Wouldn’t be surprised if we sign some more South American and Asian prospects this summer who then make the loan move,

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
On the one hand he has a point. On the other hand, Belgium domestic football has bigger problems than this which is why they're desperate to form a Benelux league, something the Dutch are in no hurry to form despite not being much bigger.

I see the Dutch binned this idea off at the start of April.

Ironically, when it was first mooted in season 2020/21 USG weren't even one of the Belgian teams mentioned as founder members of the proposed league.

Mortdecai

Aug 6, 2009
Kirkkonummi, Finland
u1.jpg

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
They will need to replace Undav and I think it would be sensible planning for both parties if Sima goes there for a season.

One of the best things about USG getting European football for us is that it’ll be easier in 12 months time if we need to get work permits for players that might not usually qualify. Wouldn’t be surprised if we sign some more South American and Asian prospects this summer who then make the loan move,

I think we can say for certain that they’ll be getting a Striker from us in the Summer. It won’t be Maupay but Sima is a good call or perhaps one of these:

- Zeqiri
- Tolaj
- Ferguson
- Sima
- Andone
- Connolly

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think we can say for certain that they’ll be getting a Striker from us in the Summer. It won’t be Maupay but Sima is a good call or perhaps one of these:

- Zeqiri
- Tolaj
- Ferguson
- Sima
- Andone
- Connolly

Make up your mind - are they getting a striker from us or not!

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Fabrizio Romano reporting that it’s been agreed for Mazzu to take over the Anderlecht managers role from Kompany. Will be interesting to see who they get in to take over.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Fabrizio Romano reporting that it’s been agreed for Mazzu to take over the Anderlecht managers role from Kompany. Will be interesting to see who they get in to take over.
Indeed. Just finished his on the job interview for the future albion job.

Tony will already know if he's going to offer Mazzu the albion job when Potter leaves one day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here