Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trump

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Gotta define what you mean by "wearing masks". In Japan, you put a mask on when you leave the house, and you take it off when you get home. No exceptions. I've seen other countries define mask wearing as "I carry one around in my pocket and put it on if I feel like I need to." I suspect Italy, given their famous laissez-faire attitude, are of the latter type.

Just seen this :ffsparr:

[tweet]1511565143419011073[/tweet]

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Deaths per million

Hungary - 4,746

Chile - 2,999

Colombia - 2,695

Italy - 2,655

Norway - 458

Four countries where everyone and their mothers wore masks (https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12889-021-12175-9) and one country (Norway) where they didnt.

Everything is relative and subject to numerous conditions special to each country.
One thing that jumps out immediately to me about Chile, Colombia and Italy is they live in extended families with old relatives, I am not sure about Hungary to be honest.

Also a major stand out is wealth of all of those countries and I would imagine general well being of a nation including pre existing health care systems, of which I would assume and guess Norway is way out in front.

It is not as simple as just throwing some numbers around.

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I just cannot fathom why some people have such a problem with wearing masks. It's literally the least inconvenient measure that was ever brought in. What is so bad about just popping a mask on when you go into a shop? You can argue all day long about the effectiveness of them, but if they slow transmission by 0.01% then they save lives, in return for an absolutely miniscule inconvenience.

Gotta define what you mean by "wearing masks". In Japan, you put a mask on when you leave the house, and you take it off when you get home. No exceptions. I've seen other countries define mask wearing as "I carry one around in my pocket and put it on if I feel like I need to." I suspect Italy, given their famous laissez-faire attitude, are of the latter type.

I've got friends in Hong Kong and it's the same, you can't even go for a walk in the countryside by yourself without a mask. Re Italy, I was in Milan in October and was stunned about how strict they were about masks. You couldn't go inside anywhere at all without being stopped by someone and told to put one on.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Ok, to make it clearer:

The whole "you shouldnt feel/think/believe X because there are bad people who also feel/think/believe X" is not a valid argument, its a fallacy. That idiots, or geniuses for that matter, share some your views doesnt make the views any less or more valid. As an example, vegetarianism is not worse or better just because Hitler was a vegetarian.

So if thousands of other conspiracy theorists watch FOX News or Police Academy movies or drying dogshit, there is no reason why that would change my perspectives. It has nothing to do with me.

no, the argument is you shouldnt trust some source that believes/promotes some false or biased ideas. that arguement is completely sound, if a source is known to be untrustworthy, treat it as such.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
no, the argument is you shouldnt trust some source that believes/promotes some false or biased ideas. that arguement is completely sound, if a source is known to be untrustworthy, treat it as such.
There is an article in The Grauniad today pointing out the fact that Russian media and propagandists are picking up on pro Russia sentiment from the likes of Tucker Carlson, Fox News and certain Republican Congess members....there is amplification of disinformation and a " synergy " between them. Worrying times when Republicans can be pro Russia without shame. Might explain why some on here are trying to be anti Biden/ pro Russia ....if a lie is repeated often enough.....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Good to see a pair of presidents at the White House yesterday talking about legislation that has enabled more than 30 million Americans to get health care. It was good to hear President Obama speaking about what was a clear highlight of his presidency without any negativity or pessimism or slinging any mud around. He continues to be a true leader of character and purpose.

In a very wealthy nation, that should be a given. Showing humanity.

Incredible to think that Trump wanted people from ‘the wrong side of the tracks’ to not get proper care to beat illness.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
In a very wealthy nation, that should be a given. Showing humanity.

Incredible to think that Trump wanted people from ‘the wrong side of the tracks’ to not get proper care to beat illness.

Is it though, America is like a third world country in some areas.
Trump is never going to bite the hand that feeds him and his campaign fund by wealthy owners in the pharmaceutical industries.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There is an article in The Grauniad today pointing out the fact that Russian media and propagandists are picking up on pro Russia sentiment from the likes of Tucker Carlson, Fox News and certain Republican Congess members....there is amplification of disinformation and a " synergy " between them. Worrying times when Republicans can be pro Russia without shame. Might explain why some on here are trying to be anti Biden/ pro Russia ....if a lie is repeated often enough.....

the pro-russian sentiment in some circles is eye-poppingly weird. libertarian conspriacy batland has been full of pro-putin view for years, even though he shares few of their views.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
the pro-russian sentiment in some circles is eye-poppingly weird. libertarian conspriacy batland has been full of pro-putin view for years, even though he shares few of their views.

the pro russian sentiment is largely from countries that have been shat on by "the west" as in America and Britain as they see it , my fb feed has many , many African contributors and they are , pretty much , to a man , pro Russia and Putin .....it's just the way it is...sorry.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The rise of Nationalist leaders is the cause of the global unrest. Every country is now focused on their own country, with total ignorance of how their own fortunes are linked to the fortunes of other countries. You can't expect individuals to understand the ins and outs of global trade so you can't expect people to understand why the cost of living is so linked to the breakdown of relations and supply chains. I think World leaders have done a bad job lately of properly articulating why trade is so important, what the consequences are of worse relations with certain nations and drawing a straight line between the problems everyone is currently facing with things like the Russian aggression against Ukraine.

Dutch

Aug 16, 2012
They did indeed. Not that the Fabian Society is the core, just one of many tentacles.

The progression is fascinating to follow for those of us who are aware. You have to look at that way or it is just depressing.

Dark to light my friend. Exposure is their greatest fear.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I agree with you to a point. However I do think we need to steer clear of polarization of the debate into one side good/the other side bad as that is the heart of the problem. Trump supporters seem to define themselves by their support for whatever he says so the rational response can’t be to do the same in reverse. If I were American I would have voted Biden and Obama but would still have been willing to criticize both.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
As we mourn the latest school mass shooting and stand amazed at the likely banning of abortion by the Supreme Court, think about the slogan of one of the bigoted, fanatical Trumpist loons standing for congress this year "Jesus, Guns, Babies". They are out there in plain sight and proud of it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm following the committee hearing on the 6th January attempted coup.

A Republican candidate for the governor in Michigan has been arrested and taken into custody.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61738919

[tweet]1535074832748003336[/tweet]

[tweet]1535078295863033861[/tweet]

[tweet]1535094374966730761[/tweet]

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Fox News have chosen not to televise the January 6 Hearings instead they are running the Tucker Carlson’s show without commercial breaks.

"The Fox News Channel, some of whose personalities were involved in the events surrounding January 6, refused to air the proceedings. Nonetheless, that channel inadvertently proved just how powerful the hearing was when it ran Tucker Carlson’s show without commercial breaks, apparently afraid that if anyone began to channel surf they might be drawn in by the hearing on other channels."

Would be amazing to see Trump jailed for his part in this but I'm not holding my breath

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Um…

[tweet]1541838690804187138[/tweet]

[tweet]1541843389183819777[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here