Favourite Commentator?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Kenneth Wolstenholme
David Coleman
Barry Davies

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Football-wise it's Brian Moore - for me no one's come close since.

My favourite double act? Sid Waddell and the heavily underrated Dave Lanning at the darts.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I enjoy that Aussie on the Radio for the Cricket, Jim Maxwell. Entertaining.

He is OK but he has that annoying Australian habit of answering any question with " Aw look......"

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Davies and Motson the Voices of my Youth!

On reflection I do wonder why it is that Cricket is blessed with so many fine commentators compared to Football?

Richie Benaud, Tony Cozier and Brian Johnson also the Voices of my Youth, sadly all gone... :(

And Jim Laker. Wonderful summariser. I could listen to him for hours as a kid. As for football, definitely Bryon Butler or Peter Jones on the radio. Today's commentators don't meet their standards, though I do quite like Conor Macnamara. Mike Ingham wasn't bad either. Alan Green's obsession with the Premiership has always annoyed me. Television wise, it would have to be Barry Davies and John Motson. Davies in particular seemed to be able to commentate knowledgeably on a number of sports. Of today's commentators, my favourite is Kevin Keatings on Sky, though he only does Spanish football. I like his voice and presentation style, and the fact that he has clearly done his homework.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
Reg Guteridge boxing
Andrew Hawes local
Hugh Johns football
Ron pickering athletics
John rawlings radio boxing
David vine ski sunday
Dave lanning speedway
Ken walton wrestling

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Barry Davies, Brian Moore and Gerald Succint (?) as a summariser

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The thing about Gerald Sinstadt is I prefer my football commentators to not have skeletons in the cupboard - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/charges-dropped-1434811.html

It's Barry Davies for me. When Southgate missed against Germany in Euro96, he, albeit politely, said what everyone else said in the country at the same time - 'Oh, no!'

Simple, but brilliant.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The thing about Gerald Sinstadt is I prefer my football commentators to not have skeletons in the cupboard - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/charges-dropped-1434811.html

It's Barry Davies for me. When Southgate missed against Germany in Euro96, he, albeit politely, said what everyone else said in the country at the same time - 'Oh, no!'

Simple, but brilliant.
All you've proved there is he's innocent! Still, nice conspiracy theory against one of the games great servants.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
All you've proved there is he's innocent! Still, nice conspiracy theory against one of the games great servants.

His arrest and the location of it happened though. Obviously it was all a misunderstanding and presumably that sort of thing went on all the time in niche Islington cinemas.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've often bored the younger generation with tales of football on the wireless. And for me Peter Jones (RIP) was the greatest voice of all. Unmistakable, appropriate, sensitive. And much like John Arlott (whom I only came to know after his passing) made me feel that I was there as I listened to the European nights as a child with my small transistor under the covers.

I wrote a piece about it after the win at Fulham last year. Many memories.

https://brightonlines.com/2015/08/15/a-win-on-the-wireless/

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
His arrest and the location of it happened though. Obviously it was all a misunderstanding and presumably that sort of thing went on all the time in niche Islington cinemas.

But nothing happened? Apart from a wrongful arrest. That happens all the time, you're more guilty with a parking ticket. Ever had a parking ticket? Still do carry on with your nod wink smoke there's fire 'evidence' and believe what you want to. I'm done here.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Who is your favourite football commentator (television or radio)?

Mine is the late Hugh Johns. Back in the days when we in the south, on Sunday afternoons, got The Big Match (or, occasionally, Southern Soccer with David Bobbin), and ITV was regionalised, Hugh Johns was the commentator for ATV, so he covered football in the Midlands. With his infectious enthusiasm for the game, he made the dullest game seem exciting.

as soon as I saw the title I thought of Hugh Johns

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
But nothing happened? Apart from a wrongful arrest. That happens all the time, you're more guilty with a parking ticket. Ever had a parking ticket? Still do carry on with your nod wink smoke there's fire 'evidence' and believe what you want to. I'm done here.

Fair enough. I recall Frank Skinner saying 'it's happened to the best of us, if you're watching Gerald' when ripping it out of him about it on Fantasy Football back in the 90's.

(I've never had a parking ticket by the way)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here