Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Lets be serious for a while, the cost of brexit is estimated to be around 200bn, twice the cost of HS2, (and the same people argue HS2 should be scrapped cos we can't afford it).

It's a huge cost which we ALL have to pay either with more austerity or tax increases since there are no economic benefits to Brexit

I guess for the (we) Remainer, there's a choice of 2 paths

a) that Brexit goes so badly that somehow we go back to the negotiating table and apply for re-entry; or

b) we accept that it was indeed (if not quite) the cock-up we predicted, but hope that somehow the damage is limited

Either of these are grim but I'd go for b). I'm not the sure that the country could go through this divisiveness again for a long while yet.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I guess for the (we) Remainer, there's a choice of 2 paths

a) that Brexit goes so badly that somehow we go back to the negotiating table and apply for re-entry; or

b) we accept that it was indeed (if not quite) the cock-up we predicted, but hope that somehow the damage is limited

Either of these are grim but I'd go for b). I'm not the sure that the country could go through this divisiveness again for a long while yet.

also the price of a), having to adopt Euro under current rules, would be too high for a future government accept.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55460948

Well, this can’t be right. NSC was quite clear that food prices would rise post Brexit. I can’t believe it possible that unqualified people were just making stuff up to make their case sound better.

I suspect most of these claims were made with regard to a no deal Brexit - in which case they were supported by Tesco. A related point was that in the early days of Brexit many of its supporters were making the claim that Brexit would result in lower food prices. There is no evidence to support this and indeed the article refutes it.

I guess you'd need to evaluate which claims were made on the basis of reasonable and credible analysis and which were knowingly falsely-made and intended to deceive.

The other variable is the effect of Brexit on the value of the pound - if it falls (as it did in a sustained fashion after 2016) then food prices rise..

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I suspect most of these claims were made with regard to a no deal Brexit - in which case they were supported by Tesco. A related point was that in the early days of Brexit many of its supporters were making the claim that Brexit would result in lower food prices. There is no evidence to support this and indeed the article refutes it.

I guess you'd need to evaluate which claims were made on the basis of reasonable and credible analysis and which were knowingly falsely-made and intended to deceive.

The other variable is the effect of Brexit on the value of the pound - if it falls (as it did in a sustained fashion after 2016) then food prices rise..
Indeed.

All the claims about food shortages or price rises were for if there was a "no deal" / WTO / "Australia ( sic ) deal" - which was being championed a lot.

Thankfully without the cause there is no effect.

LOL Fisherman whining after being done a kipper at the trading table, what a surprise. Hardly any of the Brexit promises have been kept, it's all complete lies from the PM.

We've hardly left the EU, just signed a shitter trade agreement. Love how those who voted leave think this is still a positive decision and will make us progress as a Nation hahahah We've literally hardly left the EU, we've just left some areas of the EU and stayed in for the majority. Obviously as a remainer, I'm delighted this is the case, although we are going to be far worse off.

I'm sure we'll be back in, in 20 years anyway :)

Although, I have to say, it is VERY worrying, that financial services are not as well covered within the trade agreement as we would have hoped. Which is a complete f**k up. They account for over £282bn for our economy, yet fishing is mentioned more in the deal, which equates a measly £180m towards the economy. Utter utter madness.

I just hope Richi can sort this out as he promised today. He's probably the only Tory I kind of trust.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Although, I have to say, it is VERY worrying, that financial services are not as well covered within the trade agreement as we would have hoped. Which is a complete f**k up. They account for over £282bn for our economy, yet fishing is mentioned more in the deal, which equates a measly £180m towards the economy. Utter utter madness.

I just hope Richi can sort this out as he promised today. He's probably the only Tory I kind of trust.
Financial services were always intended to be in a separate agreement - although 'no deal' in the main trade agreement would have destroyed any goodwill to make the financial services arrangement.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
As the blessed Sir Nigel of Farage said 'the war is over'

N3xvnO2_d.webp

... hope you all realise this one day and bin your little EU flags moving on with your lives and enjoy the sunny uplands!

2071327325uk-union-jack-flag-waving-animated-gif-19.gif

:salute:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Indeed.

All the claims about food shortages or price rises were for if there was a "no deal" / WTO / "Australia ( sic ) deal" - which was being championed a lot.

Thankfully without the cause there is no effect.

If you measure everything against a no deal scenario than anything is a win, if you compare it to what was promised in the referendum it's a massive loss

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As the blessed Sir Nigel of Farage said 'the war is over'

N3xvnO2_d.webp

... hope you all realise this one day and bin your little EU flags moving on with your lives and enjoy the sunny uplands!

2071327325uk-union-jack-flag-waving-animated-gif-19.gif

:salute:

It rather sounds like it's more of the same in many ways...

Page 6 of the agreement pre-amble setting out the terms...

'BELIEVING in the benefits of a predictable commercial environment that fosters trade and investment
between them and prevents distortion of trade and unfair competitive advantages, in a manner
conducive to sustainable development in its economic, social and environmental dimensions,

RECOGNISING the need for an ambitious, wide-ranging and balanced economic partnership to be
underpinned by a level playing field for open and fair competition and sustainable development,
through effective and robust frameworks for subsidies and competition and a commitment to uphold
their respective high levels of protection in the areas of labour and social standards, environment, the
fight against climate change, and taxation

Suggest you start reading.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
If you'd like to have the opportunity to make a valid contribution to this thread after your 4,000 entries, here is the agreement:

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/draft_eu-uk_trade_and_cooperation_agreement.pdf

Look forward to your analysis.

Ppf is as likely to read it and give a considered unbiased opinion as anyone else on this thread. Overall Brexiteers appear generally happy as it gives us tariff and quota-free access for goods removing primacy of the ECJ (Canada ++) whereas the #teameu crew already knew it's rubbish but are just waiting for the Guardian and James O'Brien to tell them why.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Ppf is as likely to read it and give a considered unbiased opinion as anyone else on this thread. Overall Brexiteers appear generally happy as it gives us tariff and quota-free access for goods removing primacy of the ECJ (Canada ++) whereas the #teameu crew already knew it's rubbish but are just waiting for the Guardian and James O'Brien to tell them why.

I'm making my way through it. The issue, independently viewing it, is that the UK seems to be playing by the EU rule book on terms of trade.

This was something that the more fervent of BREXIT supporters rallied against.

As for PPF. I would consider you a Brexiteer worth debating with, but you cannot honestly expect PPF, after 4,000 posts of no substance, to discuss its intricate points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here