Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
This democratic vote that has to be 'respected'.

We tried leaving with a deal, and it appears there was no majority for that.

We even tried leaving with no deal (which was specifically ruled out as part of the Leave campaign), and it appears there was no majority for that.

So what should we do now to 'respect' this vote now :shrug:

There is also no majority for your preferred option a 2nd referendum. We have a failed parliament that can only decide what it is against therefore unless a deal* miraculously gets agreed in the next two weeks the only option is a general election. Polls suggest Boris might get a majority which would solve the impasse. Latest poll ...

VI-2019-10-03-Chart-1.png

https://www.opinium.co.uk/political-polling-3rd-october-2019/

*For the easily confused/stupid Deal = withdrawal deal, not a future trade deal. (the withdrawal deal contains the backstop)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thoroughly enjoying Macron telling Boris what he has to do. :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Let’s just hope Boris didn’t spill any red wine on Macrons sofa.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Remain MPs I think you meant to say even though they triggered A50 cannot still accept the vote of the majority to leave like some on here who just put their fingers in there ears and go la la la and demand x amounts of revotes until they get the result they want. Do you accept leave won back in 2016 on the straight yes/no question asked

I accept that leave won, do you accept that Mays deal complied with that? And that a dozen different arrangements we could have aimed for and negotiated, also comply with that? Do you accept that no single version of Brexit has more of a mandate from the referendum than any other?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Unfortunately the type of PR offered was far more complex than it needed to be.

Wasn't it pretty much the same as the one we use to elect the London Mayor ?

The reason it "died" goes back to the formation of the coalition. The Tories were never going to go for it and Labour punished the Lib Dems in campaigning full-on against it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So, will Trump agree to Boris' request to have the hit and run 'diplomat' returned to blighty for Due Process, as a sign of our new special post-Brexit relationship, or will he give Boris the finger? ???

Boris has asked now, and it is now in the news as fact, so it will be interesting to see how he explains the failure of his efforts, if* he fails.

Normally when Boris intervenes when a woman gets into trouble in foreign lands, the woman ends up doing extra jail time....

The Nation waits....

*if......:wrong::shootself:shrug:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Wise words, always good to remind ourselves that the entrenched remainers on this thread are the extreme shouty fringe of the remain vote. Also worth remembering there are many moderate, patriotic, democratic, principled remainers who fully concur with your arguments. #letsgetbrexitdone :thumbsup:

False dichotomy again
There are many moderate, patriotic, democratic, principled remainers who do not fully concur with those arguments. Seems to me that your post is another vague, disingenuous 'charm offensive' like Boris is currently employing.
Have you decided what type of Brexit will suit everyone yet?

Last edited:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I accept that leave won, do you accept that Mays deal complied with that? And that a dozen different arrangements we could have aimed for and negotiated, also comply with that? Do you accept that no single version of Brexit has more of a mandate from the referendum than any other?

Yes it did but party politics wouldn't allow it. An agreement should have been hammered out before triggering A50 between all the parties but they were all too busy building their demarcation lines

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yes it did but party politics wouldn't allow it. An agreement should have been hammered out before triggering A50 between all the parties but they were all too busy building their demarcation lines

The thing for me is, that when any one version is put to leave supporters, it is not universally supported, and some even say they would rather remain than have this or that version of leaving. This leaves the idea that we would be respecting the wishes of the voting majority in tatters, and so a referendum on the deal makes sense to me, but JCFG and others will tell me that I am an undemocratic loon for wanting to have a vote on it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Thanks. As someone who doesn't actually know me maybe you shouldn't judge me like that. Not to mention that it's not very nice, and I don't actually deserve it for holding a different opinion than yours.

This is so tired and it's showing so many , I'm sure otherwise decent, people up as being incredibly self deceiving and ideological.

Remove your ideological specs for a moment and just ask yourself, did everyone believe when voting in the ref that the result would be what we would do? It would repected? Of course they did, and that goes for everyone.

Shouldn't the result be respected? Whatever you feel about it?

This isn't hard, it's just basic standards of decency and honesty.

I'm not even going to respond to other post replies I have had accusing me of "bullsh*t" etc.

Don't you people realize, you are in the wrong. About staying/leaving europe? Who knows. But about whether it should be done, because we all took part and knew what the score was? Yes you are wrong. If nothing else, having taken part in the vote, it's the only decent thing to do and if you took a step back you would see that, it's obvious.

I'm kind of bored with being called names and absolutely ripped apart and mocked on here for believing in something as simple as respect a democratic vote, by people who seem so self rightous and morally superior, while arguing that we shouldn't.

I've said it before but Brexit has brought the absolute worst out in some people.

Translation: “can’t we all just be nice and agree with my opinion”.
Whevz. More bullshit from a notorious bullshitter.

Last edited:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Party politics aka opposition parties not voting for something they don't agree with.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Interesting side story today. The Government were expected to announce tomorrow that EU State Aid rules would remain in force after we leave.

But they appear to have reversed the decision.

Clearly planning for no-deal and using tax payers money to prop up businesses.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Nice British European Citizens being hung out to dry. What have we become?

'It's like a death sentence': retired Britons in EU face loss of healthcare

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...tence-retired-britons-eu-face-loss-healthcare

Britons with serious, sometimes terminal, illnesses who live in the EU say they have no certainty about how or even whether their healthcare costs will be covered after a no-deal Brexit and are suffering a “living nightmare” of anxiety and despair.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
There is also no majority for your preferred option a 2nd referendum. We have a failed parliament that can only decide what it is against therefore unless a deal* miraculously gets agreed in the next two weeks the only option is a general election. Polls suggest Boris might get a majority which would solve the impasse. Latest poll ...

VI-2019-10-03-Chart-1.png

https://www.opinium.co.uk/political-polling-3rd-october-2019/

*For the easily confused/stupid Deal = withdrawal deal, not a future trade deal. (the withdrawal deal contains the backstop)

Parliament has not failed, that's classic Trump talk. They have been doing their job holding a corrupt executive to account that has no regard for the law.

Its the government has failed, they've achieved nothing since 2015, divided our nation, driven away investment and now risk the existence of our Union...

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Parliament has not failed, that's classic Trump talk. They have been doing their job holding a corrupt executive to account that has no regard for the law.

Its the government has failed, they've achieved nothing since 2015, divided our nation, driven away investment and now risk the existence of our Union...

Absolutely right. Thanks.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

conveniently forgot the May years where parliament failed to do anything but bicker. then remember conveniently to make a different point.

the point that parliament can only tell us what the members are against is fair observation. they have failed to provide any alternative to either May or Johnson, perfering to oppose for the sake of it, or the sake of personal seats.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Translation: “can’t we all just be nice and agree with my opinion”.
Whevz. More bullshit from a notorious bullshitter.

There it is again. Calling me a "bullshitter" because you don't agree with me.

I'm not saying let's all agree with my opinion, I'm saying let's all agree that we should do what the majority voted for in a democratic vote, because that is how a democractic vote works.

Why not be civil even if you didn't get the outcome you wanted in the vote? Stop treating this issue like some kind of football rivalry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here