Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
How closely do you think it will resemble "what you voted for" though?

Well according to remainers I don't know what I voted for so how on earth would I know how the deal that is agreed resembles 'what I voted for' ?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Get ready to be flamed! The unelected self-styled liberal intelligentsia will be on your case as soon as they wake up. You will be officially thick, old and racist before you can say, 'But ........ '

(That's what remainers think of anyone who disagrees with them, btw. Not that they are prejudiced, or in any way inclined to stereotype people, you understand. Well, you probably don't understand - that sort of stereotyping and bigotry doesn't fit with the values of liberalism and tolerance - but you just have to get used to it and accept that (in their eyes anyway) it does). Funny old world.............

You go on and on and on about people being rude to you but you were very happy not long ago to get the wrong end of the stick about a post, ignore a simple explanation* and excitedly call the poster a lying bullshitter before disappearing for a while, presumably tut-tut-tutting furiously as you go.

(*The explanation, which probably still won't interest you, was that the original post you objected to was simply quoting some of the bile-flecked abuse of one of this thread's most prominent Brexiteers.)

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
When I looked up these phrases a few weeks ago, the majority of instances were from [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=17103]Mo Gosfield[/MENTION], moaning about being called these things here and here.

I really can't be arsed to look again, but I suspect that the number of posts with people whining about being called those things are far greater than any original insults using those terms.

I can imagine some posters on this thread even using the term 'snowflake' but of course, I wouldn't lower myself to insults :wink:

Strange how your self acclaimed expertise in using the search function seems to have abandoned you when it comes to finding posts by Clamp, R.Chopper, Plooks and Man of Sussex among others ! Limited vision clearly.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not sure how your response has anything to do with my post. Be careful, you're becoming a parrot much like Watford zero ! Who's saying there will be a 'no-deal' Brexit anyway ?

I am. There’s no way we can negotiate a deal in eleven months unless we ask for am extension to the transition period by June.
Johnson won’t do that, so No Deal it it is.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
This could well explain why none of the Brexit fanboys took up my invitation to 'sell' the policy. In terms of Brighton, it was of course an petty strong Remain city anyway and I wonder to what extent our 'local' Leavers were driven by the immigration issue - say, as compared with the likes of Lincolnshire Leavers. But there I go again - a typical Remainer trying to see the opposition's point of view, just like they always say we are!

I clearly missed your post. I'll take up the invitation. So Miss WS spent months applying to hotels, bars and restaurants for part time work since she started her course at Sussex Uni. Many of these jobs are taken by EU immigrants - virtually every restaurant and pub I use in the city centre has a good staffing of staff from the EU. It took Miss WS from September to January to finally get a decent part time job despite having previous experience of the hospitality trade ( she did a couple of shifts at the Amex but they have so many staff on the books that it's a lottery getting shifts ). Miss WS has a number of friends who have also been looking at similar roles and can't get one. So in the terms of 'selling' the policy in the terms of Brighton, I believe it will assist in local youngsters actually getting these local jobs.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I clearly missed your post. I'll take up the invitation. So Miss WS spent months applying to hotels, bars and restaurants for part time work since she started her course at Sussex Uni. Many of these jobs are taken by EU immigrants - virtually every restaurant and pub I use in the city centre has a good staffing of staff from the EU. It took Miss WS from September to January to finally get a decent part time job despite having previous experience of the hospitality trade ( she did a couple of shifts at the Amex but they have so many staff on the books that it's a lottery getting shifts ). Miss WS has a number of friends who have also been looking at similar roles and can't get one. So in the terms of 'selling' the policy in the terms of Brighton, I believe it will assist in local youngsters actually getting these local jobs.

This reminds me of [MENTION=17469]melias shoes[/MENTION], who said his job was threatened by EU immigrants but in the previous post said they were all unqualified, uneducated and couldn’t speak English. Someone replied and suggested he needed to up his game if he felt threatened by this lot. :lolol:

Anyway. I’m not suggesting this is the case with Miss WS; I wouldn’t have an issue with her serving me my rabbit croquettes.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1230457439226671106[/TWEET]

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
This reminds me of [MENTION=17469]melias shoes[/MENTION], who said his job was threatened by EU immigrants but in the previous post said they were all unqualified, uneducated and couldn’t speak English. Someone replied and suggested he needed to up his game if he felt threatened by this lot. :lolol:

Anyway. I’m not suggesting this is the case with Miss WS; I wouldn’t have an issue with her serving me my rabbit croquettes.

I'm not for a moment suggesting they are "unqualified, uneducated and couldn’t speak English" - just that there are only so many of these type of jobs around - the type of jobs I did when young as I'm sure many on here did as well - but a large employment pool. I never had trouble picking up many of these jobs in my late teens and early twenties - it is now very difficult because of the saturated employment market partly thanks to EU residents from outside the UK taking many of the jobs. As I've mentioned before, I didn't vote leave because of freedom of movement or immigration, I just decided to take up GNT's invite.

PS - sadly where Miss WS works don't do rabbit croquettes but they do produce a mean plate of hooves !

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
No idea how old you are. I am 40 and when I was a kid we were paid silly low wages. The introduction of the minimum wage means that even cheap labour is not as cheap as it was. If people get paid more then the employer charges more and people complain. Everyone seems happy to say “I would willingly pay more” but then when it comes to it, will they?

The bit I am really struggling with is how the line seems to be “they take the unskilled jobs. Employers should invest in TRAINING people to do these jobs” - it feels like a contradiction in terms.

I reckon the care sector will be the hardest hit. The cost will go up so the difference in provision for wealthy and others will grow. It is quite worrying imho. Some skills are “soft skills” that quals don’t measure - especially in the care sector (which already has tens of thousands of vacancies)

Time will tell I guess.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I reckon the care sector will be the hardest hit. The cost will go up so the difference in provision for wealthy and others will grow. It is quite worrying imho. Some skills are “soft skills” that quals don’t measure - especially in the care sector (which already has tens of thousands of vacancies)

I genuinely think that at some point the crisis in care homes following this restriction will end up being this Government's "couldn't bury the dead" moment. People tend to notice when their nan's in hospital because the care home couldn't find anyone to wipe her bum.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. I won't for a minute doubt or contest the authenticity Miss WS's employment experiences. So, yes I can see where you are coming from and it looks as though the cloud might have a silver lining. Good luck to her with the job search and I (sincerely) hope that post Brexit Britain will offer her the employment opportunities she wants. You know that I don't think it will, but no-one wants to see our youngsters denied opportunities - especially f they've been sensible and talented enough to undertake study at Sussex, a place where I once plied my trade. (Had you known that in advance you could have warned her to apply elsewhere. :laugh::laugh:)

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Not sure how your response has anything to do with my post. Be careful, you're becoming a parrot much like Watford zero ! Who's saying there will be a 'no-deal' Brexit anyway ?

You become parrot like when people avoid important questions, as you are doing now.
All the signs are indicating a no-deal brexit. Im trying to assess if brexit voters actually understand the implications of that. What deal news do you have that would convince me that we are not hurtling towards crashing out of the EU.
Im also asking what progress has been made with building a much larger customs infrastructure to accommodate any kind of brexit.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I am. There’s no way we can negotiate a deal in eleven months unless we ask for am extension to the transition period by June.
Johnson won’t do that, so No Deal it it is.

The time frame isnt even 11 months. Any deal will have to be ratified by 27 countries. Take out politicians holiday breaks etc, its probably nearer 7 months

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
You become parrot like when people avoid important questions, as you are doing now.
All the signs are indicating a no-deal brexit. Im trying to assess if brexit voters actually understand the implications of that. What deal news do you have that would convince me that we are not hurtling towards crashing out of the EU.
Im also asking what progress has been made with building a much larger customs infrastructure to accommodate any kind of brexit.

Well I suggest you ask those questions of those directly involved in negotiations .... and if you don't have access to those people then your local MP ..... oh :facepalm: How would I, or any leaver, know the answers to those questions anymore than someone like you that's run away from the UK ?

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Well I suggest you ask those questions of those directly involved in negotiations .... and if you don't have access to those people then your local MP ..... oh :facepalm: How would I, or any leaver, know the answers to those questions anymore than someone like you that's run away from the UK ?

How did I guess that you wouldn't have the courage to answer. It's a mystery.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The time frame isnt even 11 months. Any deal will have to be ratified by 27 countries. Take out politicians holiday breaks etc, its probably nearer 7 months

It includes giving Gibraltar to Spain amongst other demands.
Johnson will go No Deal and hail it as a triumph. Then the consequences will follow.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

I suspect that the aim is not to do a deal by the end of the year but to create a PR narrative that, by failing to agree to Britain's (impossible) timetable, the EU is proving yet again that it hates plucky little Britain.

This will lead to an upsurge of support for Boris Spencer Johnson and sell lots of newspapers.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It includes giving Gibraltar to Spain amongst other demands.
Johnson will go No Deal and hail it as a triumph. Then the consequences will follow.

I suspect that the aim is not to do a deal by the end of the year but to create a PR narrative that, by failing to agree to Britain's (impossible) timetable, the EU is proving yet again that it hates plucky little Britain.

This will lead to an upsurge of support for Boris Spencer Johnson and sell lots of newspapers.

And of course it will all be down to those nasty bullying Europeans, when in reality the EU side of things has been relatively stable through it all.

It seems fairly obvious that Johnson and Co are doing all they can to engineer a No Deal being unavoidable so that the PM can seek to rally us all with his famous impression of his hero Churchill. But Churchill was facing a far, far greater threat which was not of his/our making.

And the ridiculous immigration system proposals which have just been announced are being touted as "this is what people voted for", which might actually be true if you work on the basis that people voted around immigration. But the idea of the economically inactive being rallied to fill the holes left by cheap European Labour is laughable - Although Students might be classed as economically inactive, I would imagine those who need to work to survive are already doing so, those who are sick are...…. sick, and quite possibly/probably unable to work. Carers probably won't have time to work, and the retired, among whom I now figure, will already be working quite likely if they need to, and if not, the option of picking strawberries or a few shifts in a care home is not attractive!!! I don't think Priti Patel has got the sense that she was born with.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm not for a moment suggesting they are "unqualified, uneducated and couldn’t speak English" - just that there are only so many of these type of jobs around - the type of jobs I did when young as I'm sure many on here did as well - but a large employment pool. I never had trouble picking up many of these jobs in my late teens and early twenties - it is now very difficult because of the saturated employment market partly thanks to EU residents from outside the UK taking many of the jobs. As I've mentioned before, I didn't vote leave because of freedom of movement or immigration, I just decided to take up GNT's invite.

PS - sadly where Miss WS works don't do rabbit croquettes but they do produce a mean plate of hooves !

It's good (if unsurprising) that your daughter has found herself a part-time job.

I'm sure the £50 a week (plus tips) she's earning right now, will absolutely balance out the lack of proper long-term career opportunities resulting from the inevitable economic downturn we're heading for, and also entirely make up for the loss of her birth-right - of freedom to live and pursue her chosen career in 27 EU states.

I'm sure she's very grateful to you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here