Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That seems the most likely outcome at the moment.

It seems to have been completely ignored on this thread that Starmer said earlier that Labour will be voting against. I only know this because I heard it with my ears (unlike a lot of the hearsay and bluster on this thread).

DUP won't budge, as they haven't all along. Why should they when nothing has changed re NI?

JRM, well he's already proved himself to be the worst of the worst duplicitous liars with his flip flopping (Boris aside of course). But he already stated that he'd only back May's bill if the DUP were on board. So he either votes against or destroys his credibility even further. Actually I love how the scumbag has backed himself into a corner, but that's an aside.

I can't see how May can win.

Keir Starmer's statement.
https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1111319086049443841

albion68

Oct 27, 2011
You mean too much time to realise what it actually entails? Too much time to realise that it may have been an ill-thought decision? Thank goodness it wasn't enacted immediately - imagine the (even more) unholy mess we'd be in, now?

How did we survive before the EU can you remember that far back ? when we joined it was the common market with only a few countries in it , i can`t remember which ones ,just about trading ,now they want so much more control over everybody .

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
That seems the most likely outcome at the moment.

It seems to have been completely ignored on this thread that Starmer said earlier that Labour will be voting against. I only know this because I heard it with my ears (unlike a lot of the hearsay and bluster on this thread).

DUP won't budge, as they haven't all along. Why should they when nothing has changed re NI?

JRM, well he's already proved himself to be the worst of the worst duplicitous liars with his flip flopping (Boris aside of course). But he already stated that he'd only back May's bill if the DUP were on board. So he either votes against or destroys his credibility even further. Actually I love how the scumbag has backed himself into a corner, but that's an aside.

I can't see how May can win.
It's very depressing - not because I want May to win but because I just want it to end. And end without either side crowing about how they are the winners. May's deal, hated by the hardcore on both sides, seems to be good for that (but then, I would have been happy with EEA from day one).

The Unionists will say "No" of course. It's in their DNA. I just wish some Labour members could be pragmatic enough to get the deal over the line - it's a pity we can't just get this done and then offer an election for June to determine the makeup of the government to "negotiate" the next stage. As it is I expect we'll end up with MPs who want to remain in the EU voting for a deal that they don't want in order to get a new referendum that most people don't want.

On the plus side, it is possible to take a break from Brexit news. Nothing has actually happened yet and I don't think anything ever actually will - so it should be possible to ignore all the news about it and pay no attention. I try for a few days, then I get drawn back. At least there's a match this weekend for some tension-filled light relief.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Most won't but some will, some will have died. Both my own parents in their 70's have changed their minds. One admits they were conned, the other has a massive guilt trip over the grand kids future

But it doesn't take many, it was close and should have never been attempted with such a small margin of victory

In 2016 all 3 of my adult kids at the time, voted to remain. Now my 4th child has turned 18.

Despite the fact the eldest are scientists/student medics whose livelihoods and research rely on collaboration et al from European countries, 3 out of the 4 of them would vote leave, now they've seen how shackled we are. The youngest one says he in on the fence.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
How did we survive before the EU can you remember that far back ? when we joined it was the common market with only a few countries in it , i can`t remember which ones ,just about trading ,now they want so much more control over everybody .

The thing is, I truly don't *feel* controlled, nor fearful of immigration, not worried about being conscripted into a Euro Army, nor about bent bananas, litres instead of pints, etc..etc. and I don't think many people really were, until given the option to vote in this ridiculous charade of a referendum.
I like freedom of movement. I enjoy inclusiveness. I think we prosper as a culture, from within, rather than without.
Can't speak for you, obviously, but I honestly see leaving as a retrograde step, for myriad reasons.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Because things were very different in the last century. Business, trade, economics, immigration and technology tend to change over time. Of course you don't HAVE to change with them :shrug:

Last edited:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It's very depressing - not because I want May to win but because I just want it to end. And end without either side crowing about how they are the winners. May's deal, hated by the hardcore on both sides, seems to be good for that (but then, I would have been happy with EEA from day one).

The Unionists will say "No" of course. It's in their DNA. I just wish some Labour members could be pragmatic enough to get the deal over the line - it's a pity we can't just get this done and then offer an election for June to determine the makeup of the government to "negotiate" the next stage. As it is I expect we'll end up with MPs who want to remain in the EU voting for a deal that they don't want in order to get a new referendum that most people don't want.

On the plus side, it is possible to take a break from Brexit news. Nothing has actually happened yet and I don't think anything ever actually will - so it should be possible to ignore all the news about it and pay no attention. I try for a few days, then I get drawn back. At least there's a match this weekend for some tension-filled light relief.
I switched off from the whole thing for months as it was just posturing, bickering and nonsense all round. So I'm quite "enjoying" it all now that stuff is actually happening on a daily basis.

A bit like a basketball match which is totally pointless to watch until the last couple of minutes.

The one thing that does depress me is that had we had a credible leader of the opposition, this SHAMBLES who are currently in charge (by name only) wouldn't be and this entire shitstorm would have been avoided. That's depressing.

albion68

Oct 27, 2011
I'm voting OUT because this is once in a lifetime opportunity to make a change for the good. Feel like there is a grey cloud over the UK at the moment, and will never shift all the time we are being told what to do by Brussels. I want my borders back under control, I feel like the UK is becoming too over populated and that's not good for anyone. I want some space.

Do Remainers believe Leavers were so dumb and believed all the lies they were told ,don`t think it applies to this poster.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Got this from a Serb today.

Brexit...
What do we want?
Dunno
When do we want it?
Later.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I switched off from the whole thing for months as it was just posturing, bickering and nonsense all round. So I'm quite "enjoying" it all now that stuff is actually happening on a daily basis.

A bit like a basketball match which is totally pointless to watch until the last couple of minutes.

The one thing that does depress me is that had we had a credible leader of the opposition, this SHAMBLES who are currently in charge (by name only) wouldn't be and this entire shitstorm would have been avoided. That's depressing.

I had a very long break from Brexit news and this thread, where I didn’t miss one tangible event and it was great for my wellbeing. Definitely in an interesting phase now, someone in this thread earlier in the week said “break out the popcorn”. But ready to turn it all off again if nowt’s really happening, with Kuenssberg & co dramatising Jack S*it.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Huge row going on in the commons now about tomorrow's vote. It will get voted down tomorrow, probably on procedural grounds as it stands. FFS

Chris Leslie and John Bercow. :catfight:

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Despite the fact the eldest are scientists/student medics whose livelihoods and research rely on collaboration et al from European countries, 3 out of the 4 of them would vote leave, now they've seen how shackled we are.

I must say, I find that very hard to believe, but have to take your word for it.

albion68

Oct 27, 2011
Because things were very different in the last century. Business, trade, economics, immigration and technology tend to change over time. (How do you think a football team from then would do now) ???

So if we never joined in 1974 ? would Britain now be on its knees without Big Brother EU ,and we could not find some way of buying cars from Germany .we were an economic wasteland ?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
So if we never joined in 1974 ? would Britain now be on its knees without Big Brother EU ,and we could not find some way of buying cars from Germany .we were an economic wasteland ?
We were actually an economic wasteland by the late seventies and from a self sufficiency point of view, a worse one by the time Thatcher had finished. She actually ensured that we desperately needed closer links to Europe and more foreign trade.

The World is not the same as it was 45 years ago. That includes this country.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I had a very long break from Brexit news and this thread, where I didn’t miss one tangible event and it was great for my wellbeing. Definitely in an interesting phase now, someone in this thread earlier in the week said “break out the popcorn”. But ready to turn it all off again if nowt’s really happening, with Kuenssberg & co dramatising Jack S*it.
Yep. Likewise. Was watching the news last night and it all got cyclical and boring so we watched Das Boot instead.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
We were actually an economic wasteland by the late seventies and from a self sufficiency point of view, a worse one by the time Thatcher had finished. She actually ensured that we desperately needed closer links to Europe and more foreign trade.

The World is not the same as it was 45 years ago. That includes this country.

Quite. Massive conglomerates and corporate lobbyists control trade now. If you’re not playing a strong hand with those boys you’ll get eaten alive. For better or for worse we WERE the big boys for centuries. Not anymore. And now we are seeking to uncouple from the biggest trading bloc in the world we will be very vulnerable indeed. Cohesion and cooperation is the only way to trade effectively these days.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Unfortunately we have a minority government that has to rely on the DUP for their majority which is just enough to keep them in power. We could have had some of the best political minds and orators leading the opposition but they would have been equally impotent as Corbyn had been since the last General Election.

Anything suggested by Corbyn would be shot down by the Tories as they always close ranks when it matters, even Ian Blackford of the SNP makes some very valid points and suggestions at PMQ'S but is subjected to derision and ridicule by the Tories.

Sadly, the British public are always conned in to believing that Labour are the political lepers and unfit to govern compared to the prudent and caring Tories.

Ps, it's just been announced that 2.9 MILLION children from working families are now in poverty according to official statistics. And of course, we are living in the 5th biggest economy in the world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here