Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bullshit. They get great pay! They get more than most people can dream of!

They really don't. £77,000 is not "great pay" for someone elected to the commons and make decisions on how to run the country. Plenty of people on this message board earn far more than that FFS.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Actually, the son of a Baron which is two ranks above a Lord is it not?

No. There's no such thing as a Lord in rank

The order of rank is (in descending order): duke, marquess, earl, viscount, baron. Historically, they were all lords as they were members of the House. That's no longer the case so you're only a lord now if you're in parliament ie a life peer or one of the few remaining hereditary ones.

It can be confusing: Thatcher's foreign minister, Lord Carrington was officially Baron Carrington but then, when that was abolished, he lost an r and became Lord Carington, a life peer.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Have a think about Rees-Mogg, he does not need the MP's salary one bit, he is not there for the pay packet, so why is he there?
Does he strike you as an altruistic person, there to ensure that policy is beneficial to all? Or is he there to influence things like tax rates for high earners, rules around avoidance and get a heads up on any moves within Government to change these in a way that could hit his pocket for several Million pounds?
In my opinion, he is there for influence and information, and to use these for his benefit, and perhaps the benefit of his private clients, I am sure he does a bit for his constituents, but he makes his money with information, and he keeps it with influence.

He also, I think, enjoys playing at politics, it's an extension of the Oxford debating society for him, he enjoys the filibustering, the point scoring and the fact his words are typed up and printed on record for posterity, he is not in there to make peoples lives better, not ordinary people anyway.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-Streets-Investment-Profits-World/dp/0446353167

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mp-jacob-rees-mogg-not-9428140

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Thought I'd pop my head back in to see how things were progressing, and I see not a lot has changed, much like the real situation. We still have people calling Remainers "zealots" - how utterly ironic, posters describing fellow members of NSC as "fecal matter", oh and "On our way" really does seemed to have gone on his way...shame.
I still live in hope of a second referendum - you know, one in which people could actually make a more informed decision (assuming they have been listening and learning over the past 3 years), or of an absolute revocation of Article 50.
I really cannot see a deal being made in the time 'remaining', and of course, 'No Deal' is totally ridiculous.
So, where does that leave us?
Most importantly, I have £40 quid on us at 20/1 to beat City, and there's more chance of that happening than an easy way out of this complete farce.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Really!? Some very privilaged people here then.
Are you genuinely surprised? When you consider something like 10% of the population are privately educated, what do you think pays for that? £77k is not a king's ransom for an awful lot of people. Regardless, the point is that MPs in this country ARE underpaid.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Really!? Some very privilaged people here then.

I agree with you they are very privileged, but this is Sussex.

This came up in the last general election - only about 5% of the country actually earn more than £70k a year. 95% of us don't.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The people I admire most in this process are some of the ERG (the spartans), some on the Labour benches like Caroline Flint, John Cruddas and Rosie Cooper and even the SNP.

All deserve praise for standing on the courage of their principles and not saying one thing and then doing the opposite of which there are many.

So the ones you admire most in this process are the ERG members who said they wanted Brexit and then voted against the Brexit deal (and have possibly ensured Brexit won't happen at all).

And three MPs who campaigned for Remain telling everyone how staying in the EU was the best thing for their constituents and then rather like a certain PM, have seen a career opportunity and decided their principles were completely wrong all along.

Oh well, I guess it takes all sorts :wink:

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Are you genuinely surprised? When you consider something like 10% of the population are privately educated, what do you think pays for that? £77k is not a king's ransom for an awful lot of people. Regardless, the point is that MPs in this country ARE underpaid.
Underpaid? Now, I'm not an expert in pancakes but I know a tosser when I see one.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I don’t know if he still does, but for years Dennis Skinner would only take the salary of a miner for his time in Parliament. And, he was there for far more hours than the rest of them. Top bloke, Dennis.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
What are you talking about? They are underpaid for what they do. It doesn't make them tossers just because they are already earning a lot more than you. :shrug:
The tosser reference was directed at you for making such a strange comment.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The tosser reference was directed at you for making such a strange comment.

That's because you're a clueless tin foil hatter. And a simpleton. :clown:

Nothing really strange in pointing out that our MPs are NOT overpaid and backing it up with evidence you dribbling prick.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
That's because you're a clueless tin foil hatter. And a simpleton. :clown:

Nothing really strange in pointing out that our MPs are NOT overpaid and backing it up with evidence you dribbling prick.
Mug.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I don't think Simplester realises MP's have their fingers in many pies often making more than their poxy salary

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

7% of the population are privately educated, 71% of High Court Judges, 62% of Senior Armed Forces Officers, 55% of Permanent Secretary’s, 50% of the House of Lords, 43% of Newspaper columnists, and about 33% of MPs.

These figures are from 2014.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here