Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It’s not rubbing anyone’s nose in it. A Brexit win benefits us all, whether leave or remain voter.

Go ahead and start the thread. It’ll be good for balance.

I am not interested in starting a Brexit thread on NSC. There is a perfectly good one in the Bear Pit and I don’t go anywhere near it. I’m not sure why you are trying to encourage others to begin threads. If you are so keen do it yourself.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The bizarre thing with the Scots is that many have always wanted more decision making for Scotland made in Scotland - hence devolution and ever more power handed over from London - and rightly so IMHO. Yet if they go independent they will attempt to join the EU ? :facepalm:

We've heard this point many times but I believe it is wrong.

There is absolutely no comparison between the level of centralised power in the United Kingdom and that in the European Union. As a component of the United Kingdom, England, for example, has no head of state, no army and no parliament. An independent Scotland, like every other member, would be incomparably freer in the European Union than it is now.

Its position would be similar to that of Slovenia for example, which was a region of a nation state (albeit one with looser shackles than the UK) and had no compunction about joining the EU as soon as it was able to.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Brexit Jihadi's getting twitchy now reality is setting in.
Even the Tories admitted we had never lost 'sovereignty' but that bullshit makes Brexiteers look like dumb arses, so they will keep coming with that nonsense.
Just watched a video from some Brexit idiot claiming the fish industry problems are because of Covid. Strangely they manifested at the end of the transition. Will they ever stop lying?

Too many of them have climbed so far up a tree that they can't climb down now. All around the world other countries can see what a stupid decision Brexit was and how ridiculous the " deal " was... ... I'm picking up lots of blame for the EU for making it worse ! oh, and "How quickly Europe forgets all our dead from 2 World Wars " !.... Sorry to say it but too many can't back down, just like Trump's " Stolen Election " , they can't open their eyes to even a little bit of truth or all their arguments come crashing down.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Brexit Jihadi's getting twitchy now reality is setting in.
Even the Tories admitted we had never lost 'sovereignty' but that bullshit makes Brexiteers look like dumb arses, so they will keep coming with that nonsense.
Just watched a video from some Brexit idiot claiming the fish industry problems are because of Covid. Strangely they manifested at the end of the transition. Will they ever stop lying?

Johnson refusing to accept the EU ambassador because it doesn’t represent a ‘nation’, in fact, admitting the EU consists of 27 independent nations, who all have sovereignty.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I am not interested in starting a Brexit thread on NSC. There is a perfectly good one in the Bear Pit and I don’t go anywhere near it. I’m not sure why you are trying to encourage others to begin threads. If you are so keen do it yourself.

You’re reluctance makes me think that maybe there are no tangible benefits.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Read my post. I made no claim that Putin won the referendum for Leave. I simply said that he felt Russia's interests were best served by the result we had.

And in other news, I just asked the cat to pull its weight and help with the housework.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
You’re reluctance makes me think that maybe there are no tangible benefits.

In the interests of balance (something I'm more interested in than how people voted) I would say three significant advantages are:-

1. Macro benefit - That all law / regulation / policy is created by those elected and accountable via elections then implemented by a civil service. Instead of created by a civil service and rubber stamped by relatively weak elected governments.
2. Macro - We are not in the Euro, a currency created despite the fact that it is not an optimal currency area for political rather than economic reasons.
2. Micro - The vaccination procurement success of the UK over the EU.

Note - this does not inform anyone which way I voted. I merely point this out in my quest for some balance which seems harder and harder. People seem to form a view on something then look for the evidence to back it up instead of the other way around. I'm sure it ever was thus, but it gets tiresome. There were both good and bad reasons to vote either way.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
With Jimmy Krankie effectively trying to turn Scotland into Catalonia, has it ever been explained to us mere mortals if England would be better off financially better off if Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland became independent countries?

Although I remember reading somewhere that nearly 30% of the Northern Ireland workforce works indirectly for the British state so that in itself probably rules out independence, that and the religious/political situation?

Being united and working together is infinitely preferable to going it alone in the 21st Century. However, I do not blame any Scottish wanting to separate from the UK in it's current form. It's a style cramper to say the least.

Last edited:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I haven't detected much of a sense of humour in your 2000+ posts under this account name let alone a self-deprecating one. No shame in admitting your spelling is a bit suspect (PM's surname, whine, sparingingly etc) ... we all have faults

Good to know that you show such interest in my 2000+ posts. Sorry I cannot say I have any such interest in yours. Three errors? Consider it a test of your spellcheck skills..... although as I mentioned 'whine' was a deliberate play on words which seems to have eluded your powers of interpretation.
You are better than most of the Leave lobby at spelling but it's a low bar.
What faults do you acknowledge in your posts? Anything to say about Brexit?

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I think the current disaster that is Brexit illustrates why being in a union and working together is infinitely preferable to going it alone in the 21st Century.

Leaving one Union to destroy your own

English exceptionalism may yet be our undoing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here