Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Forget disrupt for a second - if MPs as a whole realise that it would be massively to the detriment of the country to have a No Deal Brexit, then by definition they are doing their job by voting to stop it. That's how parliament works. That's how politics works.

The very definition of sovereignty.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I thought people have been saying that it has been Brexiteers in general stopping the withdrawal agreement going through rather than specifically the ERG. But if one or two have used 'ERG' as a catch-all I'm not sure it matters greatly. The ERG won't complain.

No, a few have been specific that it has been the ERG. You me and class warrior know this simplistic parliamentary arithmetic does not add up. #comingtogether

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I cant forget disrupt for a second, he said it was their job to "disrupt". the word disrupt is what we are arguing about

Fine, whatever. The rest of my post stands as correct, doesn’t it?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The government said it would adhere to the result of the referendum - it has never said it would adhere to the results of the indicative votes. Trap avoided :thumbsup:

The Government said we would leave with a Deal in place, how does that fit your argument?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
if parliament has the balls it can revoke A50, cancel brexit for good, remain in the EU and watch the fireworks rip the country to pieces.

pasta - help me out with this one. Nigel Farage - the man of the people who goes to the pub dressed as Rupert The Bear - used to say something like there'd be this 'uprising the like of which this country has never seen before' if whatever it is he wants wasn't delivered because it's a 'betrayal' but like most things with Brexit the actual details were sketchy to say the least.

I'm thinking a couple of thousand people - Free Stephen Yaxley-Lennon protest numbers, who'll probably be there too raging if his probation terms allow it - made of knuckle draggers, oddballs, ex-football hooligans (daytime TV and banning orders permitting if the demo is too close to a ground) greasy haired woman from Essex and Regal cigarette smokers from Barnsley who had to vote for Brexit 'cos ders tooo menee Mooslims'.

Have you got anything a bit more specific though, because you do seem like a really cool, down to earth guy who knows where it's all at?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
But we voted Leave. The result needs to be respected.

I agree that was the result of the referndum but no one party won a mandate to deliver it, as such Boris will have to go in search of one via a General election I suspect in September 2019

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Government said no deal is better than a bad deal......how does that fit your argument

Eh? If anything you’re supporting my point that the Government says a lot of things!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The government said it would adhere to the result of the referendum - it has never said it would adhere to the results of the indicative votes. Trap avoided :thumbsup:

But the government cannot make such statements alone, it needs the support of the commons. Only the commons can make such pronouncements. We both know this.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
But the government cannot make such statements alone, it needs the support of the commons. Only the commons can make such pronouncements. We both know this.

Agreed but the commons voted for the triggering of A50 so it backed the governments statement that the result of the referendum would be enacted. There was no such agreement across the commons that the indicative votes would be binding - more like guidance.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Agreed but the commons voted for the triggering of A50 so it backed the governments statement that the result of the referendum would be enacted. There was no such agreement across the commons that the indicative votes would be binding - more like guidance.

The complication for this, of course, is that since then there has been a General Election, and no Parliament can bind it's successors.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here