Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
With 2/3rds MP`s being Remain they were going to block Brexit as much as possible ,ERG have not got the numbers .All this soft or hard Brexit is a load of rubbish .When i get on a bus and tell the driver where i want to go i expect him to get me there. Leave should mean leave not this half in half out nonsense.

This is a really TERRIBLE analogy.

The problem is you didn't tell him where you wanted to go. You got on in Churchill Square with a heap of others, and each asked for a single to 'out of town'. Now the bus is trundling towards Littlehampton, and you're crying because you wanted to go to Eastbourne.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
With 2/3rds MP`s being Remain they were going to block Brexit as much as possible ,ERG have not got the numbers .All this soft or hard Brexit is a load of rubbish .When i get on a bus and tell the driver where i want to go i expect him to get me there. Leave should mean leave not this half in half out nonsense.

When you tell the bus driver you want to go to Britain to watch the Albion, don't get upset if he drops you at Skaw, on the Isle of Unst :shrug:

For reference

240px-Shetland_UK_location_map.svg.png

Top of the Top Island, Far Right. And no, I didn't know either :wink:

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Maybe you should stop and think before you post, also. Just this week Jack Renshaw was jailed for attempting to kill Rosie Cooper MP.

Blimey, you’ve dug deep. Must hit a nerve at the time as that was hundreds of posts ago and you’ve clearly held a grudge since. But It’s interesting what people will use to piece together - out of context - to suit their arguments. But really, are you suggesting that a clearly flippant remark is on a par with the attempted assination of an MP by some right wing nutter?! You’re completely out of line if so and part of the wider problem when it comes to discussing Brexit.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Brilliant move !

They rejected that date last request.

*rolls eyes*. Again.

There's politics in that decision BV! The one thing labour insist on that she cannot give (it would crash the Tories) is a "confirmatory referendum" which is effectively the second referendum campaign that started 4 days after leave won! By going for June 30 (even though she won't get they probably) she now puts the ball in Corbyns court, as 30 June isn't long enough for the referendum...... so will you agree a deal before Wednesday without one? Or will you be blamed for the long extension and new EU elections because even though you got want you wanted except the new vote, you still pushed for extension to overturn the referendum to try and cancel Brexit (for whatever plausible reason did you not take all you'd asked for except the vote?). Corbyn has to make that decision by Wednesday!

albion68

Oct 27, 2011

The problem is you didn't tell him where you wanted to go. You got on in Churchill Square with a heap of others, and each asked for a single to 'out of town'. Now the bus is trundling towards Littlehampton, and you're crying because you wanted to go to Eastbourne.

But if i get the 2a i know where its going ,yours is a TERRIBLE analogy .

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Unfortunately our turn-out for European elections is very poor. If we hold them this time, a heap of people will ignore them on the grounds that they are just a technicality imposed by the extension. Farage's army of nationalist morons will be whipped to vote though, and when the dust settles our contingent of MEP's will be a mob of barely literate, hard-right wreckers, who if they bother to ever turn up in Brussels, will do nothing but seek to disrupt.

Bad times.

Sounds like the Millwall mob! Should vote them in, would be entertaining! "No one likes us we don't care, we are UK........"

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There's politics in that decision BV! The one thing labour insist on that she cannot give (it would crash the Tories) is a "confirmatory referendum" which is effectively the second referendum campaign that started 4 days after leave won! By going for June 30 (even though she won't get they probably) she now puts the ball in Corbyns court, as 30 June isn't long enough for the referendum...... so will you agree a deal before Wednesday without one? Or will you be blamed for the long extension and new EU elections because even though you got want you wanted except the new vote, you still pushed for extension to overturn the referendum to try and cancel Brexit (for whatever plausible reason did you not take all you'd asked for except the vote?). Corbyn has to make that decision by Wednesday!

Makes sense, I hadn't considered that angle.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But if i get the 2a i know where its going ,yours is a TERRIBLE analogy .

Fixed as follows because you're getting pissy over the final detail of his point:

hans kraay fan club said:

The problem is you didn't tell him where you wanted to go. You got on in Old Steine with a heap of others, and each asked for a single to 'out of town'. Now the bus is trundling towards Steyning Clock Tower, and you're crying because you wanted to get off at Palmeira Square.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
She asked for June 30th a couple of weeks back and ended up with April 12/May 22 having had to sit outside on the naughty step while The EU decided it, so I can't seriously believe she thinks she's going to get anything different this time.
Yeah, but you didn't think they'd offer us an extension from the 29th March.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
What if, what if....... What if the EU actually had an army, or wasn't paralysed in decision making by needing 27 unanimous signatories as was the case in sanctioning Russia due to Crimea. Russia won't split NATO, and whilst we retain our nuclear deterent they will not attack or invade, but Putin will play his subversive games either way.

Most Brexiteers want the EU to be paralysed in decision-making, although if you look at the EU c/w us, there's only one winner in the paralysis derby.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Cyprus and Gibraltar are separate issues. The Irish hard border in case of no deal, and need of a backstop (CU) as insurance is a negotiating position and not reality, when under no circumstances will a hard border ever be built....it is a red herring. Yes single market rules will insist on a hard border, but politics won't allow it. The Good Friday agreement commits both the UK and Ireland to not have a hard border between NI and Ireland, it's not contingent on EU membership. It also required a devolved assembly is Stormont (and that's not being enacted either).

Obviously the Irish border is a massive issue for both communities either side, keeping it open and free of hard border posts in the number 1 imperative of both UK and Ireland to maintain peace and the GFA. It's why both sides have insisted they won't build a border and why whatever external body may try and insist would be ignored in the greater interest of peace and politics.... The issue is however being used with great effect by the EU as leverage in negotiations.

This is all very well, but no one has actually laid out a plan of how trade and movement will work without a hard border in the event of No Deal. While you might be right, there won't be a hard border, but in reality how will that work? How can there be border checks at Dover for goods and other ports from the EU, but not between NI and the EU? You are rendering the checks at our other ports redundant. I think this is where people are getting confused thinking we can just leave with a No Deal, and it doesn't have a huge impact.

The only real scenario that works in the event of No Deal that doesn't have a hard border with Ireland, is that we have Customs Checks / Border on the UK mainland for anything from either NI or Ireland. A nightmare in reality, and pretty much treating the island of Ireland as one in terms of trade.

You've argued well enough that there won't be a hard border, and you might well be right, but I've not read anything convincing to how this will be achieved.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
.When i get on a bus and tell the driver where i want to go i expect him to get me there. Leave should mean leave not this half in half out nonsense.

Not a good analogy this bus thing! A bus generally will travel a route, you may decide at which stop you want to hop off, but unless you unilaterally force all other travellers to get off at the same point regardless of their preferred destination, they are not going to obey. Therein lies the crux, a massive minority of folk do not want to get off where you personally do so there has to be compromise. Leavers are reluctantly willing to a compromise on leaving where least damage is done to our Union and country as a whole, whereby an unknown figure of Brexit folk would prefer a hard break up. The only real solution now we all know the destinations is to ask all passengers to purchase another ticket and see where the majority would rather alite.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Blimey, you’ve dug deep. Must hit a nerve at the time as that was hundreds of posts ago and you’ve clearly held a grudge since. But It’s interesting what people will use to piece together - out of context - to suit their arguments. But really, are you suggesting that a clearly flippant remark is on a par with the attempted assination of an MP by some right wing nutter?! You’re completely out of line if so and part of the wider problem when it comes to discussing Brexit.

I didn't have to dig deep at all. Someone gave me a thumbs up to my previous reply to you, so it reminded me.

Beware of flippant remarks.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Technically 30th June wouldn't, as even though elections in may, new parliament wouldn't take legal effect until after June 30th. The problem for the EU is now this bullshit cooper/letwin law looks likely to pass, ruling out no deal, if on June 30th it's not resolved, they're in a bind. Without UK MEPs (election over) they're legal functioning is undermined with UK still in and no MEPs elected. Before cooper/letwin ee should of been forced to either have a deal or leave with none by 30th with no possible further extension (as no MEPs elected) but now our parliament has made no deal illegal on UK law? We'd be caught between need of MEPs and having none and illegal act in UK of no deal....The EU won't accept this chaotic position, besides they want a new vote so it will be long
So they just insist that we have the European elections.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

You don't tell the bus where to go. He's not a taxi driver. You choose the route that happens to be going where you want to go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here