Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Remember my first job in the early 90's working in logistics. Used to spend hours with hours tariff books trying to find ways of bring product in from Europe duty-free, sometimes you got away with it, sometimes you were hit with a tariff. It was hopeless. Then the single market came and it was a breeze.

And what do we get from the government yesterday? A story about how travellers will save a couple of quid at Heathrow duty free when travelling in from Europe....

Still waiting from Brexiters on any upside to Brexit....

It really is minimal to none; now we are being asked to celebrate damage limitation.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Remember my first job in the early 90's working in logistics. Used to spend hours with hours tariff books trying to find ways of bring product in from Europe duty-free, sometimes you got away with it, sometimes you were hit with a tariff. It was hopeless. Then the single market came and it was a breeze.

And what do we get from the government yesterday? A story about how travellers will save a couple of quid at Heathrow duty free when travelling in from Europe....

Still waiting from Brexiters on any upside to Brexit....

This is an absolute con from the government, currently you can go anywhere in the EU and buy almost whatever you want and bring it back duty free. If tax is paid on the purchase in the country where you bought it the British Customs can't touch you unless you take the piss and come back with say, 6 crates of Vodka.

The moment we leave the EU it appears we will get the right to buy ( If we go back to the old pre-EU rules) a litre of spirits OR 6 bottles of wine Duty Free each way . If you load up your car in France with the cheap and plentiful wine and bring it back we will have to pay duty on it when you return thus wiping out any savings

. There was talk that the Great British Booze Cruise will be back but that's all crap as Booze Cruises offered you the benefit of Duty Free shopping onboard your ferry PLUS cheap booze,fags and baccy in France,and that little loophole is now closed.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is an absolute con from the government, currently you can go anywhere in the EU and buy almost whatever you want and bring it back duty free. If tax is paid on the purchase in the country where you bought it the British Customs can't touch you unless you take the piss and come back with say, 6 crates of Vodka.

The moment we leave the EU it appears we will get the right to buy ( If we go back to the old pre-EU rules) a litre of spirits OR 6 bottles of wine Duty Free each way . If you load up your car in France with the cheap and plentiful wine and bring it back we will have to pay duty on it when you return thus wiping out any savings

. There was talk that the Great British Booze Cruise will be back but that's all crap as Booze Cruises offered you the benefit of Duty Free shopping onboard your ferry PLUS cheap booze,fags and baccy in France,and that little loophole is now closed.

Have you never heard of smuggling? Just load up the car boot and you're on your way!

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I hope you're getting ready for Brexit wouldn't want to think of you crying into your cornflakes
Regards
DF

Steady Dim Fraud
Take the time to think before you write; A week might do it.
Did you need help in making the corrections or did you manage it on your own?
I'd stick to 'Leave means Leave' if I was you - only two monosyllabic words to learn.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Pointless speculation/arguing isn't going to change anything

I wouldn't say that, the arguing has already resulted in BJ's time as PM to be an absolute disaster so i'd say that it will change things.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I hope you're getting ready for Brexit wouldn't want to think of you crying into your cornflakes
Regards
DF

I do hope that you recycled all that fresh produce you stockpiled (sorry, prepared) for Brexit on 29th March and then when you prepared for it again on April 12th.

We are always told to look for positives, and I guess your compost bin is going to be going great guns by November :laugh:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Chair of the BMA talking about insulin, and other drugs which cannot be stockpiled.

[tweet]1172116490088275969[/tweet]

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A Brexit done well is a very positive future ( my belief, I suppose ).

Unfortunately the current crop of politicians have done it very, very badly - and therefore trust is a good point. Which is why I'd vote remain again if we have another go.

My position is very similar to yours.

Had it been a cross party negotiation without the totally absurd self-inflicted Tory red-lines, we could have had a very serious, less divisive debate about the benefits in the EU as we know it now, or being out of the EU (where that meant being inside the customs union, paying for access to the single market but not having to pay for the CAP which penalises crap European farmers or the fisheries policy that allows Spanish trawlers to decimate our fishing stock) at the expense of losing influence and voting rights.

It is now clear the Tories running this have been incompetent and selfish and are only looking after themselves. Consequently little good can some from leaving the EU on the Tory watch, except for the decidedly arguable theory that it is more democratic to do so with no deal than to stay.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
How long before someone says something about "experts" and having "had enough" of them?

trouble is when one expert says something that isnt correct, misleading or contradicts others, which do we go with?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
trouble is when one expert says something that isnt correct, misleading or contradicts others, which do we go with?

I think you'd have to take that on a case by case basis. In this instance I'd side with the Chair of the British Medical Association over any others I can think of.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

You would have to judge depending on what experts say what.

Now if the experts were equally divided, gave good explanations of each side of the argument and both sides had experts who were proven in their fields giving contrary advice, it could be hard to judge.

Are you aware of such a situation anywhere in the Brexit arena ? :laugh:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
How would you know ? You have every leaver on ignore :facepalm:

He's right though. I can only think of around 3 leavers on here who attempt to answer difficult questions. bashlsdir is undoubtedly one of the worst though, as he regularly just casually drops in nonsensical drivel but absolutely never sees fit to have it scrutinised.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Have you never heard of smuggling? Just load up the car boot and you're on your way!

Not easy these days, 99% of the time coming back through Dunkirk you are always asked to pop your boot for a quick look to see you have no stowaways. A couple of times they have joked that no one could get in the tiny amount of room left in the car thanks to all the beer I'm carrying, they are not looking to stop me bringing in beer, just people at the moment. That will change when/if we leave.

There used to be small speed humps in the port of Dover, the local Customs could not do you for what you were carrying but they used to use the humps to see how your suspension was handling the load you had. If you scraped a speed hump they used to pull you off to one side and confiscate ( destroy ) your beer under the grounds that you were overloaded.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here