Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Surely many EU students will still come here despite paying higher fees and any drop in their numbers could be (more than) offset by international students who pay more to study at our Universities.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

International students already come here, there’s no netting off against EU students.

If you were an EU student and had the choice now between going to the Netherlands, France, Spain etc IN the Erasmus scheme or the UK out of it then it is a simple decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Normal practice for a referendum on something as critical as Brexit (or hanging) would be for it not to be decided on a straight majority. That was Cameron’s biggest mistake, probably. They would often need to be 60/40, precisely to prevent the lunatics from taking over the asylum.:ffsparr:

Absolutely. A referendum on membership in many EU countries would have very similar results as ours I suspect, under the same circumstances.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Why would non EU international Student numbers go up? There are 2,000+ Chinese Students as Sussex Uni for example already, there is no driver for these numbers to go up.

Many European Students come to Britain for language skills through Erasmus, it’s probable that they’ll now shift to Ireland or Scandinavia where we know English is spoken widely.
There was a 9% increase this year despite all the chaos surrounding covid which suggests demand for UK University places is very high.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Out of sheer interest, what is to stop those 31000 coming now - all they need to do is apply for a student visa surely ?

Erasmus is a formal, organised, exchange system, usually for a year of study where modules covered in, say, Barcelona, are recognised if you are studying a degree in Manchester.

By choosing to withdraw from Erasmus those modules no longer are recognised and would not contribute towards to a degree.

The country from which the student is a citizen provides some financial assistance to the student during their time spent elsewhere in the EU/UK. That also disappears so makes it very difficult to persuade students to come here from 1 Jan 2021.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Go and raise a glass of the old boy's beer that you drink, to Boris.

This is a positive thread that all should be happy with.

We have a deal that is worse than what we already had!!! The freedoms ‘won’ we already had....absolutely nothing to celebrate or be positive about. I do hope the Oxford vaccine is approved, which will be something to celebrate 🙂

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There was a 9% increase this year despite all the chaos surrounding covid which suggests demand for UK University places is very high.

That’s non-EU students, mainly Chinese. This is because Australia and NZ have closed their borders to overseas students and their is negative sentiment towards the USA from China due to the appalling Covid record there and hostilities stoked up by Trump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
So depressing. Our economy is f***ed. Good luck to Northern Ireland, hope you achieve unification and get back into the EU. Absolute madness voting this in, our ‘darkest hour’ since WWIi.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
So depressing. Our economy is f***ed. Good luck to Northern Ireland, hope you achieve unification and get back into the EU. Absolute madness voting this in, our ‘darkest hour’ since WWIi.

You might hope for unification but do all the people of Ireland and NI want it ?

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
What has been won? Does anybody know yet? A deal, good, but what's the detail?
All the Brexiteers on NSC are jubilant (despite demanding no-deal for dozens of posts), same posters are now celebrating which says a lot.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
And 7. We’ll rejoin Europe in 20 years once the younger generation are in power.

Hope so. I mean he ‘got Brexit done’ but even a cursory glance at the deal suggests we’ve stitched ourselves up economically. Ah well, least we’ve taken back control eh.

Our economy is at the start of a boom. There is an awful lot of cash & private equity money waiting to be invested in IT/new tech businesses. Not the time to be opening a clothes shop on the high street I grant you, but the UK will do very well in the next 3 years.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Our economy is at the start of a boom. There is an awful lot of cash & private equity money waiting to be invested in IT/new tech businesses. Not the time to be opening a clothes shop on the high street I grant you, but the UK will do very well in the next 3 years.

I hope you are right and in some areas I’m sure you will be.

Not sure what’s going to happen to the empty shops and offices in town centres. Surely they can’t all be filled by students and charity shops.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
We have a deal that is worse than what we already had!!! The freedoms ‘won’ we already had....absolutely nothing to celebrate or be positive about. I do hope the Oxford vaccine is approved, which will be something to celebrate [emoji846]

This.

And this.

A depressing, shortsighted and unbelievably stupid move all round. Thanks Cameron you massive pig shagging ****.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
What has been won? Does anybody know yet? A deal, good, but what's the detail?
All the Brexiteers on NSC are jubilant (despite demanding no-deal for dozens of posts), same posters are now celebrating which says a lot.

Well i'd like to know what they or we will do differently, what can we look forward to and how will our lives change

I'm really hoping this great thing, that up until now cannot be described, even after more than 11,500 pages of one thread, will be revealed....

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Which constituency will you be running in next election

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
If we are that bad why do I know several people and families that have settled here from South Africa Sweden,Australia,France and Germany that prefer living here then own country.. Most I know well and most criticise there own country. Good and bad wherever you live

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here