Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portugal V Wales

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
What a dull game. It was like watching two England's playing...

Wales must be gutted that they decided not to turn up against a bang average team like Portugal, who must be one of the worst teams to ever make a major international final. The winner of France/Germany will surely walk away with the final.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
I am absolutely certain that Wales will struggle to qualify for the next World Cup, despite being drawn in one of the easier groups. They really are no better than the likes of Austria, Serbia and Eire. That looks like a dull, dull group (mid-table Championship standard?) and it shows the weakness of the seeding approach to European qualifying when you get groups like this, England's and the Romania/Denmark/Poland group guaranteeing some very average finalists, whilst at least 2 of Holland, France, Spain and Italy will need to go via the play-offs at best.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I work with a bore-tuguese bloke and he is going the right way to warrant a backhanded pimp slap today!
They win one game in 90 minutes and all of the sudden they are the best team in the competition.
They have been dire since it started IMO, I hope they lose miserably in the final so I can make my colleague cry.

kjgood

Poor game, poor performance by Wales, Portugal stepped up a gear in the second half and did what they needed to do, just. Apart from the England game Wales did really well, yes most people including even the most blinkered Welsh fans know they overachieved, but well done to them and well done also to Iceland who fit into the same mould.

I thought Wales would beat Portugal, but the loss of two starters from a squad with only just enough credible starters took its toll. There is also a case to suggest they ran out of steam because they couldnt have any rotation within the squad without a serious loss of quality. I just hope the upcoming English Manager whoever he or she is and the players (I wont call them a team) take note of how team spirit and personnal pride carried Wales and Iceland through.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Glad that I'm not alone in thinking that the Wales coverage has been massively OTT. Good luck to them for getting into the semi-final but in reality they were lucky when they played Russia (not in the game but with the fact that Russia seemed to have gone home), were lucky with the ref against Belgium. Just goes to show how luck plays as much in tournament football as skill. Such a shame that Ronaldo didn't pick up a 2nd yellow (for diving) to miss the final.

Hope the match this evening is better and whoever wins thrashes Portugal in the final.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
They have been dire since it started IMO, I hope they lose miserably in the final so I can make my colleague cry.

I agree but so have Wales. They played well for the last hour against Belgium but other than that they have been pony throughout. Portugal as you correctly point out are dreadful. They played well last night but against a very poor Welsh side and Gareth Bale who only joined in when they were 2 down.

Glad that I'm not alone in thinking that the Wales coverage has been massively OTT. Good luck to them for getting into the semi-final but in reality they were lucky when they played Russia (not in the game but with the fact that Russia seemed to have gone home), were lucky with the ref against Belgium. Just goes to show how luck plays as much in tournament football as skill. Such a shame that Ronaldo didn't pick up a 2nd yellow (for diving) to miss the final.

Hope the match this evening is better and whoever wins thrashes Portugal in the final.

Absolutely. In the pre match build up last night they had a tribute to Gary Speed, whilst I won't comment on that it did show how crap the Welsh have been. Millennium with a handful of people in it only to be moved to Cardiff's ground to also only have a handful of people in it. All of sudden they are world beaters because they've got to the semi final of a major tournament beating the footballing powerhouses of Slovakia (just), Russia (already out pretty much), Northern Ireland (just) and Belgium (just). It was sickening as you know full well had had England bumbled their way through to the semis like they did Lee Dixon would have been banging on about how we've not seen the best of England yet and how they are lucky to still be in the competition.

Stick on top of that the most boring pundit on the planet Ryan Giggs (who should be universally hated by Welsh fans given that Fergie said when he could and couldn't play, at least Bale wants to play for his country) and that absolute aunt (predictive text kids) Craig Bellamy it put me right off my dinner and made me quite fancy a Nandos (which for the record is shit!).

I don't really care who wins it now as long as it's not Portugal. Seeing Ronaldo cry would elevate it from the worst tournament ever to the worst tournament ever that at least saw that ****ing berk bawl in the final.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

There's a yellow card "amnesty" at the semi-final stage, any previous yellows are wiped out so nobody misses the final through just getting booked.

Agree with your post though. Wales played well against Belgium, but other than that they really didn't beat anyone, and even managed to lose to our shower of shit after we gave them a goal start.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I agree but so have Wales. They played well for the last hour against Belgium but other than that they have been pony throughout. Portugal as you correctly point out are dreadful. They played well last night but against a very poor Welsh side and Gareth Bale who only joined in when they were 2 down.

Absolutely. In the pre match build up last night they had a tribute to Gary Speed, whilst I won't comment on that it did show how crap the Welsh have been. Millennium with a handful of people in it only to be moved to Cardiff's ground to also only have a handful of people in it. All of sudden they are world beaters because they've got to the semi final of a major tournament beating the footballing powerhouses of Slovakia (just), Russia (already out pretty much), Northern Ireland (just) and Belgium (just). It was sickening as you know full well had had England bumbled their way through to the semis like they did Lee Dixon would have been banging on about how we've not seen the best of England yet and how they are lucky to still be in the competition.

Stick on top of that the most boring pundit on the planet Ryan Giggs (who should be universally hated by Welsh fans given that Fergie said when he could and couldn't play, at least Bale wants to play for his country) and that absolute aunt (predictive text kids) Craig Bellamy it put me right off my dinner and made me quite fancy a Nandos (which for the record is shit!).

I don't really care who wins it now as long as it's not Portugal. Seeing Ronaldo cry would elevate it from the worst tournament ever to the worst tournament ever that at least saw that ****ing berk bawl in the final.

Christ, he was awful. So, so boring.

SAC

May 21, 2014
There's a yellow card "amnesty" at the semi-final stage, any previous yellows are wiped out so nobody misses the final through just getting booked.

Agree with your post though. Wales played well against Belgium, but other than that they really didn't beat anyone, and even managed to lose to our shower of shit after we gave them a goal start.

He got a yellow yesterday which would have resulted in a red and presumably miss the final. Perhaps an early red in the will make up for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here