Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Skalak

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Now, I realise single handedly how many points he has been responsible for and how deadly his dead balls are... But in open play is he a bit of a liability. I said this after Forest & Birmingham, and yesterday he seemed to play us in to danger and seemed incapable of doing much when he had the ball.

Time to put Murphy back in next week? Who did seem to have built up a great relationship with Rosenior in terms of overlapping runs etc

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I was just about to start the same thread. Is he worth keeping on the pitch just because his crossing is absolutely sublime and he occasionally scores a fantastic goal? Most of the time I'd say yes, so long as he keeps his standard of general play a little higher than he did yesterday.

His balls into the box didn't compensate for his pretty dreadful display unfortunately. Oh well, win some you lose some.

Skalak to start at Boro for me. Murphy on sooner if it's not working.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
"I hope he eventually comes good" :facepalm:

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
Spot on. I love his dead ball delivery. Granted there's been some assists recently too but (so far) I haven't seen enough in other areas of his play to warrant a place ahead of a more industrious player like Murphy or even Lua Lua.

He may grow into the English game more next season but for these final matches (if we don't win on Sat) I think we have to play stronger all-round players.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was just about to start the same thread. Is he worth keeping on the pitch just because his crossing is absolutely sublime and he occasionally scores a fantastic goal? Most of the time I'd say yes, so long as he keeps his standard of general play a little higher than he did yesterday.

His balls into the box didn't compensate for his pretty dreadful display unfortunately. Oh well, win some you lose some.

Skalak to start at Boro for me. Murphy on sooner if it's not working.

As posted elsewhere, we are not likely to have many chances to break at Boro given they have the draw.

Set pieces could be key - I'd start Skalak, although I share the belief that Murphy gives us more in general open play.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Glad I don't have to pick the team for the most important game of the season! Its hard as his open play isn't as good as Murphy's, but there is no doubt that we have scored loads of goals with him in the team.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
As posted elsewhere, we are not likely to have many chances to break at Boro given they have the draw.

Set pieces could be key - I'd start Skalak, although I share the belief that Murphy gives us more in general open play.

If set pieces are going to be our best chance of winning, isn't there an argument to start Kaz - he wins more than anyone else? Starting Kaz and Skalak will be tricky though....

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Beat me to it. There is no comparison between Skalk and LuaLua, Skalak is like a terrier snapping at players heels and never stops running. When things go good for him he looks like a match winner, when not he looks very ordinary as was the case yesterday. Start him and hope the style of game suits him!

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
It's a incredibly tough decision. Knocky is guaranteed a place in the side as he is our best all round winger. When you think of the amount of important set piece goals Skalak has contributed to recently and taking into account Boro's defence is extremely good it may well be our best chance to score. But Murphy (currently) is far superior in open play, can take on defenders and is also better defensively imo.

I think I'd probably come down on the side of starting Murphy as we can't have any 'passengers' and Knockaert can also deliver a quality set piece/corner.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Irrespective as to which combination of front 4 CH goes with, I think needing to win plays into their hands.
With the exception of Tomer none are defensively minded, and it would be hard for them to play with half a mind on the possibility of a draw being good enough.

The flip side is obviously the defensive 5 who at the prospect of clean sheet = promotion would be strutting around the dressing room saying:-

"No problems, we've got this, you boys take it easy today".

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I'd go along with this, although I share the OP's concerns about Skalak in open play. The other thing worth bearing in mind is that Knockaert's set pieces have been excellent of late, and improved on a few months ago, which might work against Skalak starting.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

This in spades.

If we are going to win it, we are likely to need his very real set piece threat. The fact that Murphy is likely to have to make way is no slight on Murphy, but we have to be realistic and play percentages.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'd say that Skalaks movement off the ball is equal to Murphy, but Murphy is the better ball carrier. The way things are liley to pan out at the Riverside I'd definitely start Jiri.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It is a huge asset to have 2 players in the team who are excellent at free kicks and corners, especially when one is right footed and the other left. We now expect to create something every time, whereas a few months ago, corners and free kicks were usually a total waste of effort. Jiri and Knockers have to start.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
He (Skalak) often seems to make bad decisions in open play - the wrong pass, or taking the man on instead of passing. I think when he gets this aspect of the game right he'll be first choice. His set piece delivery is not in question.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
That bit before half time where knockhaert went round three, to Kayal to Skalak on the byline. All he needed to do was pass it back to Kayal for a clear shot in the box. Instead he twatted it, spurning our best chance of a win. He had an off game, but he'll start the next game(s) as he has something that others don't.

Stumpy Tim

You could argue a case for either really. Personally I don't think Baldock has been at his best since his return, and I'm not sure Wilson will go that extra mile given he's not ours. I prefer Murphy on the wing & his ball-carrying skills. Murphy & Knocky on the wings for me, and Skalak upfront with Hemed

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'd go with Skalak rather than change much as his dead ball deliveries could be the difference. Murphy's been very unlucky and is the more likely of the two to make a positive impact as a sub, especially as his pace is even more effective against tiring defenders. Surprised Lua Lua got the nod yesterday and don't really understand that unless there's something about Murphy at the moment we don't know (nursing an injury maybe?). Kaz just hasn't got going at all since his comeback. Shouldn't think he's even in the picture as a possible starter.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
You could argue a case for either really. Personally I don't think Baldock has been at his best since his return, and I'm not sure Wilson will go that extra mile given he's not ours. I prefer Murphy on the wing & his ball-carrying skills. Murphy & Knocky on the wings for me, and Skalak upfront with Hemed

That's an interesting option.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here