Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Transport to Amex

Seecider

Apr 25, 2009
Bringing my 12 yo son to the Amex for the first time Friday night and bringing the family to Brighton for the w-e.

Staying by Preston Park

Will it be impossible to get train from London Road to Falmer because they'll all be full leaving Brighton ? Are all the no. 25 buses going to be full by the time they get to Lewes Road ?

Have got car so could take it to Park and Ride - what time are they full by.

Last time I took him to a game was Wolves and got stuck on M5 and nearly missed Hemed's penalty.

50 years since I let Brighton so any recommendations welcome.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Bringing my 12 yo son to the Amex for the first time Friday night and bringing the family to Brighton for the w-e.

Staying by Preston Park

Will it be impossible to get train from London Road to Falmer because they'll all be full leaving Brighton ? Are all the no. 25 buses going to be full by the time they get to Lewes Road ?

Last time I took him to a game was Wolves and got stuck on M5 and nearly missed Hemed's penalty.

If I lived in Brighton I would get the train from London Rd to Brighton and stay on it.back to Falmer or get a bus with your ticket from London Rd to Old Steine and get the 25 there before the rush.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
If I lived in Brighton I would get the train from London Rd to Brighton and stay on it.back to Falmer or get a bus with your ticket from London Rd to Old Steine and get the 25 there before the rush.

I'm confused can you please elaborate:moo:

If I took that advice I would have never seen a game:dunce:

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks

Staying by Preston Park

Can't comment on the trains, but I usually get a 25 bus from the Cockcroft House on Lewes Road. Very occasionally one is full so it doesn't stop, but 23 also stops there which goes to the Uni's so its never too long before another turns up. Mill Rd P&R will be full by 6.15 - 6.30. Mithras House/Cockcroft House in Lewes Road has been getting full about an hour before kick off lately.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
are you in the Travelodge or Preston Park Hotel?

If the latter probably easiest to get the train from Preston Park into Brighton and change.

That said, I got on a train at London road about 2.20 for the Hudds game no problems (just get down the front of the platform for the 8 coacher). I know it can be a bit more of a squad for evening games but you should be fine.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Staying by Preston Park

70-75 minute walk to the ground to earn your pie & pint then get the train back to London Road on the return for a 10 minute stroll home. Job's a good 'un.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
are you in the Travelodge or Preston Park Hotel?

If the latter probably easiest to get the train from Preston Park into Brighton and change.

That said, I got on a train at London road about 2.20 for the Hudds game no problems (just get down the front of the platform for the 8 coacher). I know it can be a bit more of a squad for evening games but you should be fine.

Just remembered they've opened that new foot path on London Road.

If you're in the travelodge get the (free) 5/5a into town (leaves opposite the bus stop), get off at co-op, walk up the new foot path past Sainsbury's and you'll be at Brighton station in no time

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just remembered they've opened that new foot path on London Road.

If you're in the travelodge get the (free) 5/5a into town (leaves opposite the bus stop), get off at co-op, walk up the new foot path past Sainsbury's and you'll be at Brighton station in no time

If using the 5 or 5a I would go to Churchill Sq or The Old Steine and jump on the 25 rather than the hassle of the train.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
So many different suggestions as to how best to make the journey, the OP is probably even more confused now than when he started!

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Simplest option is a taxi! Probably about £10, 10 mins and no worries!

Could then get the train back...

KR

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Staying by Preston Park

Will it be impossible to get train from London Road to Falmer because they'll all be full leaving Brighton?

I always get the train from London Road to Falmer for both midweek and Saturday games, never been on a full one yet. For Fridays game, I'd advise getting a train from London Road no later than half six, just to be on the safe side. Oh, and one handy hint: check how many carriages there are going to be on your train when you arrive at London Road station (it'll say it on the electronic board and also be announced) then aim to get on the front carriage, it will have the most available space. Enjoy the game :thumbsup:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
As a Prestonian Parkian, unless drinking is a big part of the plan, I've generally found Lewes Road park and ride to be the best option. I'd set off early too: Hollingbury Road gets packed with traffic heading towards Vogue gyratory before a game.

Unfortunately I've either had too many 20 minute waits for evening 5/5a buses or had too many half-empty trains blithely whizz past busy platforms at London Road station to make use of either of those options any more.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Unfortunately I've either had too many 20 minute waits for evening 5/5a buses or had too many half-empty trains blithely whizz past busy platforms at London Road station to make use of either of those options any more.

Annoyingly the 5B bus does go all the way up to the Uni at Falmer but only during 'peak times' - which appears not to include any sporting event of 25,000 people.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Not the worst advice, however this will take you much longer than the 10mins on the train. the bus idea however is just mental.

The train at London Road on Saturdays is usually busy, Friday nights are insane, however if you were to get to the ground early enough the train from London road will be fine, plenty to do for a 12 year old at the ground. not sure if seven stars is still open but that's a family version of dicks. if not head up to the swan.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I always get the train from London Road to Falmer for both midweek and Saturday games, never been on a full one yet. For Fridays game, I'd advise getting a train from London Road no later than half six, just to be on the safe side. Oh, and one handy hint: check how many carriages there are going to be on your train when you arrive at London Road station (it'll say it on the electronic board and also be announced) then aim to get on the front carriage, it will have the most available space. Enjoy the game :thumbsup:

Excellent advice from THPP. The boarding at Brighton is always most packed at the rear - anything over 4 coaches long, and there will be space at the front of the train.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The boarding at Brighton is always most packed at the rear - anything over 4 coaches long, and there will be space at the front of the train.

Even at London Road, the vast majority of people wanting to get on there tend to congregate at where the back of the train, the most crowded bit of the train, will stop. No idea why. Makes no sense.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I get the train from London Road a few times a season; as others have said just get up the very front of the train and you'll be fine. There's always room.

No need to come back to Brighton first.

The bus-via-town idea is only worth taking if you or your boy have an irrational phobia of trains, or an irrational partiality to wasting loads of time.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It's a weeknight so never underestimate the potential for total network failure on the railway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here