Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums Thread - 2016

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well chaps he popped into Stat World via this weeks The Complete Guide To Everything podcast, Ska With Dan Deacon.
http://tcgte.com/episodes/

DD went to school with one presenter and his first band contained the other.
He comes across really well, if you like his music I'd definitely recommend you check out the show, although there's no music!

Got a couple of his albums. I really like the one he wrote about America. Think it was the one before the current one.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Bowie in the 70s: brilliant -- about as good as it gets -- peaking with Boys Keep Swinging
Thereafter: tosh

This has, pretty much, always been my opinion.

My first seven albums were all by Bowie - Aladdin Sane was the first album I ever bought. I was 11, and remained a Bowie freak for a decade.

As others have said, 'Let's Dance' was the beginning of the end. 'Tonight' was awful, in my opinion, and then came Tin Machine...

I have recently decided to listen to his more recent albums again, more extensively, more open-mindedly. It has been a surprise to find I actually like some of them - they are not the unmitigated rubbish that I thought they were. I am enjoying 'Outside', 'Buddha of Suburbia' and especially 'Earthling', whose Drum and Bass left me utterly cold when it came out. 'Reality", though, is still boring me, 'White Tie, Black Noise' - meh, don't think it will win me over.

So, his utter brilliance in the seventies was followed by horrible 80s overproduction and crap songs. But the nineties were a little better than I previously believed.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bowie in the 70s: brilliant -- about as good as it gets -- peaking with Boys Keep Swinging
Thereafter: tosh

Woah woah woah woah

Late 60s - brilliant
Early mid 70s - decent
The Berlin trilogy (late 70s) - some of the best music ever committed to tape
80s - mixed, but side A of Let's Dance is completely perfect pop
90s - yeah hmm
00s - fair enough
The Next day - A decent return to form.
Blackstar - early days but his best since Berlin Trilogy for me, and feels very much like a continuation of that era.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Woah woah woah woah

Late 60s - brilliant
Early mid 70s - decent
The Berlin trilogy (late 70s) - some of the best music ever committed to tape
80s - mixed, but side A of Let's Dance is completely perfect pop
90s - yeah hmm
00s - fair enough
The Next day - A decent return to form.
Blackstar - early days but his best since Berlin Trilogy for me, and feels very much like a continuation of that era.

Agree on Berlin trilogy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agree on Berlin trilogy.

I remember being stunned when I first put on Low and heard Speed of Life...then dancing around room to it.

The Frau has just bought the new album on vinyl. Really enjoying it.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Hunky Dory, Ziggy, Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs, Station to Station (all pre Berlin) just 'decent'? I'd say '****ing excellent.'

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Hunky Dory, Ziggy, Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs, Station to Station (all pre Berlin) just 'decent'? I'd say '****ing excellent.'

So would I. This is my favourite Bowie period.

I'd add Space Oddity (1969, but still...) and The Man Who Sold The World.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I remember being stunned when I first put on Low and heard Speed of Life...then dancing around room to it.

On reflection it was more of a strut than a dance.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

I got the latest Low album on vinyl from santa and bought myself their Chriistams album. They are a band that seem well suited to vinyl but can't quite pinpoint why.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here