Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swansea City and Gary Monk.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I found Gary Monk to be quite arrogant. He is just another in a line of managers who inherit a decent team that someone else has put together and does well and everyone thinks they are great managers. Then when push comes to shove and they start to freshen the team up and bring in their own players and try and mould a team of their own their weaknesses get exposed.

Good managers are the ones who can go in and get poor teams performing, like Sam Allardyce

I know I am biased here but the next Gary Monk to fall from grace I think is going to be Alex Neil. He was fine when he had the team that CH had put together last year. Now that he is freshening the team up with his own players you can see his weaknesses exposed.

Good managers can build a team and build team spirit within a group of players and Pardew, Allardyce, Pulis and our own CH can do these things without a doubt. Pardew to a lesser extent. He has problems building a team but he is a very very good football coach if he gets good players - I know players that have said he is the best coach they have worked with but he is a bit nutz personality wise

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I found Gary Monk to be quite arrogant. He is just another in a line of managers who inherit a decent team that someone else has put together and does well and everyone thinks they are great managers. Then when push comes to shove and they start to freshen the team up and bring in their own players and try and mould a team of their own their weaknesses get exposed.

Good managers are the ones who can go in and get poor teams performing, like Sam Allardyce

I know I am biased here but the next Gary Monk to fall from grace I think is going to be Alex Neil. He was fine when he had the team that CH had put together last year. Now that he is freshening the team up with his own players you can see his weaknesses exposed.

Good managers can build a team and build team spirit within a group of players and Pardew, Allardyce, Pulis and our own CH can do these things without a doubt. Pardew to a lesser extent. He has problems building a team but he is a very very good football coach if he gets good players - I know players that have said he is the best coach they have worked with but he is a bit nutz personality wise

Sir, you may be proven right but Alex Neil managed the considerable achievement of raising Naarich from
mid-table inertia to promotion via an improbable run. Although they clearly shouldn't have got rid of the Hught. Mwahaha.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Why arrogant?

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014

When it comes to relationships with his players, I believe it is 'Pards' nutz that have indeed been the problem.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He's right and you're wrong. He really hasn't failed anywhere he's gone, unless you include Newcastle (and that one is highly debatable):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Allardyce

Yeah, I bet Newcastle wish they had a failure like that now

He's not taken any team down, has he (apart from Notts County where he was appointed about two-thirds into the season)? He's got a decent record. I'm mightily glad we have CH but wouldn't have been upset if Allardyce had come to Brighton. He knows how to get teams up ... and keep them there

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Havent they all been sacked multiple times .........................

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Exactly [MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION]. It's hard to know how Sam Allardyce could have done a better job at places like Bolton where they punched above their weight for YEARS, or West Ham where he got them promoted immediately and then consistently kept them top half, all against the back ground of hostil home support who feel entitled to fast attacking football on the floor.

What makes the contempt for Allardyce worse is that he has wiped the floor with people like Gus Poyet down the years.

Havent they all been sacked multiple times .........................
Yes, and consistently hired again by other relatively big clubs.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Exactly [MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION]. It's hard to know how Sam Allardyce could have done a better job at places like Bolton where they punched above their weight for YEARS, or West Ham where he got them promoted immediately and then consistently kept them top half, all against the back ground of hostil home support who feel entitled to fast attacking football on the floor.

What makes the contempt for Allardyce worse is that he has wiped the floor with people like Gus Poyet down the years.

Yes, and consistently hired again by other relatively big clubs.

Yes exactly, one of the clubs seem to be doing an illogical thing.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
CH was sacked by Naarch five matches from the end of the season, four of them deemed unwinnable because they were against Champions League contenders. The other was at Fulham, and Norwich dominated but lost 1-0, thanks to a certain Fulham goalkeeper named David Stockdale. I imagine CH's heart must be lifted every time he sees our fab stopper.

On the subject of Monk, the players weren't playing for him on Saturday. The fact that Ashley Williams, the club captain, was showered, changed and pacing the players' tunnel looking to settle a score with Riyad Mahrez five minutes after the final whistle instead of helping to rally the troops says it all. There'd also been a pre-match altercation between Sigurdsson and Shelvey when the latter refused to sit on the bench. All the local press knew that Monk was a goner, and the fact that Williams behaved as he did in front of journos suggests a complete breakdown of discipline at the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here