Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"I was there"

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
The last few seasons, certainly since Falmer, have been easy, emotionally - turning up with hope, hope of staying up, hope of making the play offs, hope for games and buzzing after wins.

This season it's different, not so much hope of... but fear of... Fear of losing our position, losing our record, losing the game, and walking away from games feeling relieved rather than buzzy.

I don't know how it's been for you, but that's how it's been for me.

So I'm trying to figure out how to enjoy this wonderful season more, and I think I've cracked it, all thanks to Wales, my mother's country (may she rest in peace).

The Welsh are some of the most self hating people on the planet (remember Dylan Thomas said "they call it 'the land of my fathers' - and the old ****ers are welcome to it").

But in the 70's when the Welsh played God-like rugby, their court jester, Max Boyce, came up with the most wonderful phrase, he said "I was there".

"I was there", he said, in 1975, and 1976. That's what he said.

Back to BHA, I'm losing the fear now, not quite yet starting to believe, not for a few games yet, but in case, just in case something special happens this season, I'm holding on to the emotion of "I was there"...

I was there for Hull

I was there at Fulham

I was there for Birmingham

And bloody hell, I was there for Charlton

And so come what may of this season, I'm thinking "I was there", and there might just be something to tell the grandchildren...

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
Heaven knows how long the personal eulogies of blissful reflection will be if we win in Derby next Saturday.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Eric Potts two late goals off the bench for that stunning come from behind victory at home to Sunderland in 1978. I was there.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
The last few seasons, certainly since Falmer, have been easy, emotionally - turning up with hope, hope of staying up, hope of making the play offs, hope for games and buzzing after wins.

This season it's different, not so much hope of... but fear of... Fear of losing our position, losing our record, losing the game, and walking away from games feeling relieved rather than buzzy.

So I'm trying to figure out how to enjoy this wonderful season more, and I think I've cracked it, all thanks to Wales, my mother's country (may she rest in peace).

The Welsh are some of the most self hating people on the planet (remember Dylan Thomas said "they call it 'the land of my fathers' - and the old ****ers are welcome to it").

But in the 70's when the Welsh played God-like rugby, their court jester, Max Boyce, came up with the most wonderful phrase, he said "I was there".

Back to BHA, I'm losing the fear now, not quite yet starting to believe, not for a few games yet, but in case, just in case something special happens this season, I'm holding on to the emotion of "I was there"...

I was there for Hull

I was there at Fulham

And so come what may of this season, I'm thinking "I was there", and there might just be something to tell the grandchildren...

Get a f*****g grip man :)

I'm half welsh and that's what my Dad would have said.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Nottingham Forest when Ulloa scored, I was there

Bobby's first game back at the Amex to score to win, I was there

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I was there when we knocked man city out of the league cup at withers, and THAT Bridcutt goal :)

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Hereford.....I was there

Completely agree. I have very little recollection of that afternoon except the depression of half time, Reinelt scoring and that chance they had at the end but I will always remember being at the game. It was so tense but so great at the end. Doncaster was the same. Wherever we go as a club, it won't be like that. The recovery under Gritt and the amazing end to the season.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I was there for Hull

I was there at Fulham

A lot of us JCLs ('plastics', if you prefer) will relate to this.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Completely agree. I have very little recollection of that afternoon except the depression of half time, Reinelt scoring and that chance they had at the end but I will always remember being at the game. It was so tense but so great at the end. Doncaster was the same. Wherever we go as a club, it won't be like that. The recovery under Gritt and the amazing end to the season.

This is spades. My boys achool football coach is John Humphrey. Had a couple of reminising conversations with him. He remembers it as the most intense footballing experience

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
This is spades. My boys achool football coach is John Humphrey. Had a couple of reminising conversations with him. He remembers it as the most intense footballing experience

It was the best and worst match I've ever watched. For 90 minutes, it was terrible (it's been tense this season but nothing like that) and after the game, it was amazing. Can't believe it will be 20 years at the end of next season. Can't believe that time has gone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here