Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Rifling through what's left in the sale bin as the store closing announcements are made.

Yet another reason to shop at Aldi.

All the reduced stuff starts the day with 50% off.

None of this 20p through the day bollox.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
You’re joking, aren’t you? Loads of deals get done on deadline day. Selling clubs, players and agents like waiting until the last minute to try and get as many clubs interested as possible, or at least give the impression that there’s competition for a player, and finally they’ll accept a bid and that sets of a chain of transfers lower down the food chain.

Yes this does happen, but for each deal that happens like this there's probably two more that fall through for the exact reason I posted, our first attempt to sign Andone being a prime example. My point isn't that we can't do anything, my point is that if we leave business till these last few days, a potential deal is a lot more likely to fall through due to lack of a replacement, and we'd also be left without time to move onto another target

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yes this does happen, but for each deal that happens like this there's probably two more that fall through for the exact reason I posted, our first attempt to sign Andone being a prime example. My point isn't that we can't do anything, my point is that if we leave business till these last few days, a potential deal is a lot more likely to fall through due to lack of a replacement, and we'd also be left without time to move onto another target

Like I said, I doubt the club are leaving business to the last few days for a laugh.

All this talk about wanting to buy players on the cheap is an insult to Tony Bloom, to be honest. We’ve spent about 50m every season on various transfer deals so far, the amortisation and wages of which resulted in a loss of 12m last year. You whingers all going to put a few quid in to help out, or just continue moaning about trivial stuff such as bottle tops and flasks?

Is it the same for all clubs, or do we have more than our fair share of over-entitled wankers?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Like I said, I doubt the club are leaving business to the last few days for a laugh.

All this talk about wanting to buy players on the cheap is an insult to Tony Bloom, to be honest. We’ve spent about 50m every season on various transfer deals so far, the amortisation and wages of which resulted in a loss of 12m last year. You whingers all going to put a few quid in to help out, or just continue moaning about trivial stuff such as bottle tops and flasks?

Is it the same for all clubs, or do we have more than our fair share of over-entitled wankers?

I’d love TB to sign a striker this month, it’s quite possibly needed imho to help preserve PL status.

But I’m not entitled about all this. If we go down, I’ll happily keep turning up at the Amex to watch Championship football.

I won’t shed a tear if we ever drop, it will be justified (the league table never lies at the season’s end, the luck arguments are bullshit)), I won’t personally lose out, I might even see a team than wins and scores frequently, who knows. The loser will be TB who’ll forego huge sums in broadcasting income - £45m in season 1 and soon rising to £100m.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Whilst I agree with pretty much 99% of that part of the issue is TB and PB throwing around the “aspire to be a top 10 Premier League side”.

While I know that they didn’t mean this season, aspiring to be top 10 means spending ££££ ... something we seem reluctant to do currently.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I’d love TB to sign a striker this month, it’s quite possibly needed imho to help preserve PL status.

But I’m not entitled about all this. If we go down, I’ll happily keep turning up at the Amex to watch Championship football.

I won’t shed a tear if we ever drop, it will be justified (the league table never lies at the season’s end, the luck arguments are bullshit)), I won’t personally lose out, I might even see a team than wins and scores frequently, who knows. The loser will be TB who’ll forego huge sums in broadcasting income - £45m in season 1 and soon rising to £100m.

Bingo. Well said.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

The entitled bit wasn't aimed at you; it is however something seen on this thread in this window and every window over the last few years, including during the Championship years when we were losing 10-20m a season. PL standard strikers don't grow on trees, and any striker with obvious calibre is going to be in demand by the big clubs and out of our price range. It's easy enough to splash the cash, but it's also very easy to sign expensive mistakes like Locadia and Jahanbasch, neither of whom have come close to repaying the circa 30-35m we spent in transfers alone on the pair of them, never mind the wages to match.

TB will be fully aware of what he'll lose, but I expect (and hope) that he also has contingency plans if we get relegated in order to get us promoted back within a season or 3, and these probably preclude taking a gamble on players that we commit to paying 100K a week for the next 4 years - see Sunderland.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Whilst I agree with pretty much 99% of that part of the issue is TB and PB throwing around the “aspire to be a top 10 Premier League side”.

While I know that they didn’t mean this season, aspiring to be top 10 means spending ££££ ... something we seem reluctant to do currently.

It appears that the club is playing the long game with regard to getting us into the top 10 in continuing to buy and develop unproven younger players. Let's be honest, it's the only way we will ever get truly top-class players to the club as we just don't have the ££ to compete with the big boys. For example, Palace would never have been able to buy Zaha, and we would never have been able to buy Lewis Dunk.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The entitled bit wasn't aimed at you; it is however something seen on this thread in this window and every window over the last few years, including during the Championship years when we were losing 10-20m a season. PL standard strikers don't grow on trees, and any striker with obvious calibre is going to be in demand by the big clubs and out of our price range. It's easy enough to splash the cash, but it's also very easy to sign expensive mistakes like Locadia and Jahanbasch, neither of whom have come close to repaying the circa 30-35m we spent in transfers alone on the pair of them, never mind the wages to match.

TB will be fully aware of what he'll lose, but I expect (and hope) that he also has contingency plans if we get relegated in order to get us promoted back within a season or 3, and these probably preclude taking a gamble on players that we commit to paying 100K a week for the next 4 years - see Sunderland.

I knew you weren’t being personal :smile:

I was just expanding the discussion to another way of thinking about our predicament.

The entitled bit has crept in, in a huge other way, I think. When ManC, Leicester and Liverpool visit for example, many middle aged fans forget where we’ve come from very recently, they expect a good result and take a loss very, very, badly. Allied with a ridiculous hatred of opposing fans and clubs, ramped up significantly from our EFL years. The Billy Big Bollocks of the PL.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Found some actual breaking news... Soucek apparently turned us down (and Monaco) for West Ham:

The clubs were AS Monaco and Brighton & Hove Albion FC. In this game West Ham United performed only marginally at first because he offered Tomáš Souček a guest option, but under not very attractive conditions for the Prague club.

AS Monaco are experts in signing young players and turning huge profits on them. Seems they are also up against us for Edouard’s signature.

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.c...o-have-approach-for-odsonne-edouard-rejected/

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Shame.

I saw him as a 6ft4” younger version of Stephens with added ability to score plenty of headed goals and provide more assists.

And then this on the other towering DM we’re sniffing over:

“West Ham are also credited with an interest in the youngster. However, as yet, the Hammers have also been rebuffed in their attempts to land the Norwegian.”

Maybe we’ll be back for Berge now?

Is that the Berge that Sheff Utd are close to signing?

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

All this talk about wanting to buy players on the cheap is an insult to Tony Bloom, to be honest.

I never said any of that, so you can stop being such a patronising git for starters.
I merely meant that perhaps the club do not intend to do any business at all.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
This thread makes me laugh every time a transfer deadline comes around. People really do absolutely lose their shit over signings don't they? My favourite one is when we don't sign a striker and someone writes a one word post that just says....."Relegated."

When there are still 14 games left to play. :lolol:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Today's the day, isn't it ?

Possibly.

And if it isn't, it just increases the chances that tomorrow is...

:albion2:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This thread makes me laugh every time a transfer deadline comes around. People really do absolutely lose their shit over signings don't they? My favourite one is when we don't sign a striker and someone writes a one word post that just says....."Relegated."

When there are still 14 games left to play. :lolol:

But if we don't sing a striker 5 of those games will be irrelevant.

RELEGATED. :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here